Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

$1000 complete genome scan
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 01, 2013 05:16PM

spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/devices/the-gene-machine-and-me

"To decode the first human genome, a milestone completed 10 years ago, armies of researchers labored for more than a decade and spent more than US $3 billion. Working with Rothberg’s newest machine, a technician will soon be able to decipher a human genome in a few hours, and at the bargain-basement price of $1000."

"Rothberg’s newest product is a sleek machine called the Ion Proton System, which is just a little bigger than a fancy office printer. With just three disposable chips and a few hours of time, that machine can make sense of the genome of a human being, identifying each of the 3 billion molecules that make up a person’s DNA. Ion Torrent’s current top-of-the-line production chip isn’t much by semiconductor-industry standards—it’s got a measly 400 million transistors. But by tapping into the existing supply chain for microchip manufacturing, Rothberg has already improved his chips nearly a thousandfold, and he’s not finished. Ion Torrent plans to ride Moore’s Law as far as it will go."

"Rothberg wants to be very clear about what all this means to medicine. “Look at the things that have added to life expectancy,” he says during our first meeting. “It’s clean water—that was the single biggest health improvement. Next came the antibiotics, next probably imaging, whether it’s X-ray or MRI or CAT scan.” He flashes a cocky smile. “I do believe that genome sequencing will have as profound an effect on medicine as clean water, antibiotics, and imaging.”"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $1000 complete genome scan
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 02, 2013 05:30PM

Thanks for the warning, Panchito. I have been wondering when a one-stop "answer" to all gene related questions would be devised by someone.

With just three disposable chips and a few hours of time, that machine can make sense of the genome of a human being, identifying each of the 3 billion molecules that make up a person’s DNA.

It's not that simple!

Date: March 02, 2013 08:43PM

I think some genes change through our life. They are not static. They could be like a picture of whats going on at the scan time. cheap scans could create easy speculation about health and a piramid of cheap experts like the tarot

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2013 04:56PM

I'll take my chances with the $10 fortune teller a couple miles away winking smiley

Date: March 03, 2013 08:06PM

and this is just one example of how food choice or lifestyle changes genes.

[www.sciencedaily.com]

There are 60+ billion cells. I think ~25 million cells die each day and new ones are 'born' from genes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables