Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

NEW: Salt linked to autoimmune diseases
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 07, 2013 01:49PM

[www.nature.com]

"06 March 2013

Salt may play a role in the overproduction of immune-system cells that attack an organism's own tissues.

The incidence of autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes, has spiked in developed countries in recent decades. In three studies published today in Nature, researchers describe the molecular pathways that can lead to autoimmune disease1 and identify one possible culprit that has been right under our noses — and on our tables — the entire time: salt2, 3.

To stay healthy, the human body relies on a careful balance: too little immune function and we succumb to infection, too much activity and the immune system begins to attack healthy tissue, a condition known as autoimmunity. Some forms of autoimmunity have been linked to overproduction of TH17 cells, a type of helper T cell that produces an inflammatory protein called interleukin-17."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW: Salt linked to autoimmune diseases
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2013 03:31PM

Interestingly, the study summaries do not indicate the type of salt used--table salt or other. Since switching to sea salt I find that my immune system works better and so do my adrenals, which are implicated in the funtcioning of the former.

These studies always seem to not go far enough or to be insufficiently restricted.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 07, 2013 06:25PM

Good point, Tam. Dr. Walker was discussing raw oxalic acid and I think his point is applicable to organic salt (as found in celery): that while in its unnatural state it's BAD for the body, in its raw state it is NECESSARY for the body.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: March 07, 2013 09:28PM

Everything in moderation and avoid refined foods. The people who suffer from salt related maladies are eating tons of processed foods that are swimming in refined salt. That's bad enough. When they liberally douse it with more table salt their food becomes deadly.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 08, 2013 11:07AM

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if using an unrefined trace element laden salt and in sensible amounts.

When it comes to auto-immune disease there is a multitude of factors involved and healthy salt consumption isn't going to play much if any of a role in that(in my opinion).

The article says HIGH salt conditions, this isn't really justification not to eat salt or to start following low sodium diets, which can be just as dangerous, especially if following a high potassium diet which will act as a natural diuretic and lower sodium further.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 11:18AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:44AM

salt is very important in health body.simple use celtic salt stay away form processed salt.processed salt is bad. natural salt good.dumbs articles say salt is bad.they have know understanding of salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables