Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone practice Oil pulling?
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 15, 2013 07:38PM

I just started oil pulling today for the first time. Known about it for years, but always put it on the back burner in a long list of things to do.

Anyone here do it? At present, I am using Sesame oil since it is what I have on hand. I would like to try coconut oil as I have read it works "the best".

Any comments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 07:39PM by veganjuice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone practice Oil pulling?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:10AM

My comment: I've read that coconut oil is acidic (did not verify it myself). So, if it were true, it would be bad for the teeth.

Date: April 16, 2013 09:49AM

I've read that too, or that it can be acid-forming. According to this site however, it is considered mildly alkaline.

[www.harmonikireland.com]

Date: April 16, 2013 01:30PM

i just tested it. It gave me a ph of 4.5 (the lowest it can get on my testing). BAD. However this is good for the skin as the skin needs to be acidic (5.5).

I read that putting a little lemon on water messes up the teeth big time. It would make more acidic the water and it would cause trouble long term (like sipping orange juice during all day)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 01:34PM by Panchito.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:42PM

I wouldn't use coconut oil. I did it for a while and ended up with major plaque on my teeth. Never had anything like that before. I believe that the recommended oil is sesame.

Date: April 17, 2013 05:39AM

Right now I'm alternating between Flax & Sesame oil. I need to pick up some ph strips to test the oil & other stuff. I don't seem to get that "white froth" (lol) that many mention they do while pulling. Maybe I don't have the level of contamination in my body that others do... winking smiley

I usually pull for a 1/2 hr. while doing other things. Any more members do this on a regular basis, or have in the past?

Date: April 17, 2013 09:21AM

check out the ingredients on a product called "oramd"

almond oil (filler)
spearmint oil
pepermint oil

You could make your own

Date: April 17, 2013 09:48AM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> check out the ingredients on a product called
> "oramd"
>
> almond oil (filler)
> spearmint oil
> pepermint oil
>
> You could make your own

Interesting recipe - I'll give that a try...I was also thinking of mixing Oil of Oregano with a filler oil since that (Oregano) has antibacterial/healing qualities.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 01, 2013 07:17PM

Yes, I've done it for years, I love it. I use sesame oil. I reckon coconut would be fine though, I've heard of a lot of folk using that.
I try to do it for long enough that when I spit it out it is a little whitish, and not so oily (well-mixed in with saliva).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables