Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

religion beliefs correlate to better mental health
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:55AM

[psychcentral.com]

"A new study suggests belief in God may significantly improve the outcome of those receiving short-term treatment for psychiatric illness.

Researchers followed patients receiving care from a hospital-based behavioral health program to investigate the relationship between patients’ level of belief in God, expectations for treatment and actual treatment outcomes.

In the study, published in the current issue of Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers comment that people with a moderate to high level of belief in a higher power do significantly better in short-term psychiatric treatment than those without.

“Belief was associated with not only improved psychological well-being, but decreases in depression and intention to self-harm,” says David H. Rosmarin, Ph.D., an instructor in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School."

Re: religion beliefs correlate to better mental health
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: April 28, 2013 02:18AM

I think people with a strong philosphy in life would fair as well.
To not have one or a belief of some kind in this world today might be free fall.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 30, 2013 01:58PM

there is a difference between ideas and beliefs and how they work in the mind. concepts are not real. knowledge is relative. reality is a perception. Believes are like a filter to reality while ideas are just temporary thoughts. ideas come from a mind made organization while believes are not expressed explicitly. believes are assumptions. believes install in the mind unconsciously while ideas are concious thoughts. believes cannot be eliminated but they can be replaced. So, philosophy does not have much power as compared to believes

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 01, 2013 12:43PM

I agree with Bill. In my experience, religious belief can promote stability, but beyond a certain point of fervor it actually creates mental instability. The researchers are clear that they mean mainstream, traditional religiosity, as opposed to zealotry, but a philosophy[as belief]can easily fit the definition and is less prone to extremism. Think about how chill Buddhist monks are smiling smiley

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: May 03, 2013 01:44AM

In my experience, religious belief can promote stability, but beyond a certain point of fervor it actually creates mental instability.

I think it's unfair to generalize this way. You could make the same argument in regards to raw food/vegan-ism, working out, etc.. Taking anything beyond a certain point of fervor or to the extreme can create mental instability...

One person's strong belief structure will ultimately be viewed by a non-believer as fanaticism...

And - what exactly is mental instability? For example, I think I'm okay and the rest of the world are the ones that's actually messed up!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2013 01:47PM

veganjuice,

That's why I said in my experience! Mental instability, i.e. overnight quitting your job, pulling your kids out of school and and abandoning you home to travel to Mt. Shasta to await the arrival of the Giant Squid God in the fervent belief that He will rapture you into the next world kinda thing. You know, mental instability: Becoming so detached from objective reality because of your beliefs that you become destructive to yourself or others.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables