Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Monsanto wins in court against Indiana farmer
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 14, 2013 08:45AM

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

"WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court said Monday that an Indiana farmer violated Monsanto Co.'s patents on soybean seeds resistant to its weed-killer by growing the beans without buying new seeds from the corporation.

The justices unanimously rejected the farmer's argument that cheap soybeans he bought from a grain elevator are not covered by the Monsanto patents, even though most of them also were genetically modified to resist the company's Roundup herbicide.

While Monsanto won this case, the court refused to make a sweeping decision that would cover other self-replicating technologies like DNA molecules and nanotechnologies, leaving that for another day. Businesses and researchers had been closely watching this case in hopes of getting guidance on patents, but Justice Elena Kagan said the court's holding Monday only "addresses the situation before us.""

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monsanto wins in court against Indiana farmer
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:31PM

I'm afraid that, from what I've read of the case, this was decided appropriately; the farmer was trying to pull a fast one on Monsanto, thinking he could buy and breed their seeds without paying for them. I don't understand why the seed distributor, who appears to have committed fraud, wasn't named in the lawsuit . . . I try to focus on the fact that anything that causes farmers to turn to more natural ways of farming soy for livestock feed or human consumption is a good thing. I would be so scared of the repercussions of this if I were a farmer, I'd be finding alternatives to Monsanto soy right quick.

I really think that with this case, in which it has been republicized how far Monsanto will go to protect their "intellectual" property, the tide could be turning against this abominable company.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables