Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Daughter has type 1 diabetes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 04, 2006 01:08AM

Hello,
we just found out my daughter has type 1 diabetes and I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the out come of going raw w/ diabetes? Any info will help. thanks A

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Daughter has type 1 diabetes
Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 06, 2006 06:36AM

No info but I'm sorry to hear about your daughter.

Renee

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 06, 2006 08:58AM

Sergei Boutenko, the son of Victoria Boutenko, had type 1 diabetes that healed with raw foods. I suppose what is necessary is the pancreas to be healthy enough, while supplying the conditions necessary for health, for the pancreas to heal itself and start producing insulin.

You want want to buy a private consultation with Doug Graham at foodnsport.com to see what can be done with raw foods and healing this condition.

Posted by: Witek ()
Date: December 30, 2006 05:23AM

Hello armadillo,

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 1.5 years ago. Sorry to hear that your daughter has been diagnosed with it - this disease definately isn't pleasant for anyone involved! I'll tell you about what I'm doing with regards to Diabetes, and perhaps you will find a helpful tidbit of info here or there!

I've been experimenting with various forms of raw and vegan diet since I was diagnosed. It's a tough thing to balance; blood sugar levels, nutrient intake, pH, fats/carbs/proteins, etc. It's crucially important to keep the blood sugar levels within normal range, as high sugar levels damage the body over time and low sugar is more acutely dangerous, as you probably know already. I feel that it's a good idea to keep the blood sugar as stable as possible, and avoid rapid rises and drops in sugar level. That wears my body out.

I have tried 80/10/10 (but sweet fruit raises my blood sugar too quickly and then drops it down sharply afterwards), and a handful of other diet combinations. I see the most success with eating vegetables like:

greens (lettuce, kale, sprouts, etc)
cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, steamed artichokes, zucchinni, broccoli, asparagus, celery, avocados.. etc.

I now am trying to avoid most fruits, especially the sweeter ones, as they spike up my sugar, but low glycemic fruits like apples or pears aren't too bad once in a while. Lemons I use often, and grapefruits are on the low-glycemic side of things.

Hemp seeds and almonds are on the nutritious alkaline side of nuts/seeds and I include them in my diet. I eat at least one avocado a day, they are very alkaline and easy to digest compared to nuts.

Aerobic exercise always improves my sugar levels significantly. If I don't exercise I have to take more insulin.

One last thing - Hydration seems to be crucially important in controlling sugar levels. The excess sugar in the body gets cleansed out of the body through urine. I like to drink at -LEAST- 2 litres of water a day myself. More in the summer. I sometimes mix it with some "Greens+ Multi" powder for extra nutrition. I find that proper hydration helps significantly in reducing sugar level.

Please note that I'm still trying to find my way and a perfect diet, and these are just my personal experiences I've gained over the last 1.5 years. Your daughter may also go through a "honeymoon" period that may last some time. It might seem like the diabetes is gone. I had the same thing for a few months after I was diagnosed, and thought I had healed, but then I lost a lot of weight (down to 114 lbs) and realized that I still had Type 1 Diabetes.

Good luck to you, I wish you and your daughter good health and a happy 2007!

PS: You might want to check out Aimee Perrin's website [www.livingandhealingraw.com] . She has released a few interesting newsletters with her experiences.

-Witek Radomski

Date: December 30, 2006 05:28AM

Oh, and in the case it was unclear, I currently do take insulin shots (Regular and NPH twice a day each) but am hoping to minimize them while still getting adequate calories, nutrients, and stable blood sugars.

-Witek Radomski

Date: January 04, 2007 07:44PM

thank you for all your information and I can only imagine how hard this is as a young teen to not eat a pizza with your friends. I wish my daughter was more interested in the raw food method as others are but she just isnt right now. I was hoping since she still is on the honeymoom period that perhaps it could be caught somehow but she said no. At least a try but no....
my daughter is very thin 107 and 5'6 and its really hard to see any weight drop off, did you have any other signs when your honeymoom period ended? she has been diognosed since june 06.
thanks again for your information, I m going to try raw- even if no one else is.
A

Date: January 06, 2007 08:19AM

Hi armadillo,

During the honeymoon period I dropped down to 114 pounds (from around 136 or so). When the honeymoon period was ending, I noticed more and more symptoms of high blood sugar.. for me it was feeling increasing thirst, foggy head, and weak feeling facial muscles. I also didn't have as much energy/vigor as usual. It's important to keep testing blood sugar, something which I had stopped doing very often during the honeymoon period.

Lately I've been really noticing how significant the exercise is to lowering sugar levels. I have a mini trampoline and have been doing 5-minute bouncing sessions a few times every day, during breaks from work. Great effect on the sugar level, and I'll be reducing my daily insulin by a few units.

I wish your daughter the very best, and I hope she will try to stay healthy! Good luck on the raw diet too!

-Witek Radomski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2007 08:20AM by Witek.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: January 07, 2007 04:26PM

You can still heal diabetes without going raw.

The culprit in diabetes is cows milk. One of the proteins in cows milk is almost identical in structure to pancreatic cells.

Some people's bodies will treat this protein as a foreign invader and attack it with the immune system. Unfortunately, when this happens, the pancreatic cells are also attacked and the pancreas can't produce enough insulin and it causes diabetes.

Supporting links:
[news.bbc.co.uk]
[www.notmilk.com]
[www.sciencenews.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2007 04:26PM by tropical.

Date: January 07, 2007 05:03PM

I do believe cows milk is alll baaddd!! but you say you can heal diabetes without going raw? please explain..... and I went to the web sites you offered. thanks a

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: January 12, 2007 09:36PM

Or you will want to got to Hippocrates Health Institute or Tree of Life Rejuvanation Center to ensure YOUR DAUGHTER'S HEALTH IS WELL ATTENDED TO, as she recovers from diabetes.

A little knowledge can do a lot of harm. I would rest my fate with the professionals who have been curing degenerative diseases for quite some time now.

Blissed be,

Annie

BodyByBliss.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables