Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dunning–Kruger effect
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 11, 2014 03:22AM

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in two principal ways: unskilled individuals tend to suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate, while highly skilled individuals tend to rate their ability lower than is accurate. In unskilled individuals, this bias is attributed to their metacognitive inability to recognize their ineptitude. Skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

fail to recognize their own lack of skill;
fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.[5]

Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life"winking smiley[1][6] with a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis.

If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dunning–Kruger effect
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:13AM

Way back in time, when computers were first hitting the business world, my step mother was in graduate school at Harvard and told me her little story that fits in nicely with this study.

She said she was the only woman in the computer class and was freaking out the whole time because she said she had no idea what was going on right up until the time of finals and was afraid she was going to flunk out. All the while the guys were as calm as could be and were confident they understood everything. In the end she was the only one who got an A.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:07PM

most people that get good grades are good followers and make good employees by doing what they are told. I've known people that were excellent on their field, but they did not pass school even when they could teach the teacher. People get good grades and that's what they are good at - being trained. In the end, good grades/titles can be phony medals that don't carry any weight. They studied only to get a good paying job. Pasion is way more important as it makes you be yourself. But that is what the system penalizes because it punishes those getting away from the herd. I don't mean that getting bad grades is good. Neither that getting good grades is bad. It depends on the person.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: November 11, 2014 10:35PM

I'm glad you are finally researching some of your own problems, Panchito. Acceptance is the first step.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: November 11, 2014 11:52PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad you are finally researching some of your
> own problems, Panchito. Acceptance is the first
> step.

Seems to be yet another random posting he hasn't read yet though.

Date: November 12, 2014 02:26AM

the light brings flies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables