Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diabetes healing! Urgent.
Posted by: LacikeRaw ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:06PM

Hi everyone.

My family friend has diabetes long time. She is 28 now. All I know she has the status of diabetes where pankreas doesnt produce inzulin at all. I believe i can help her with raw food implementation to her diet.

My plan is buying vertical juicer, that slow one like 43rpm from Omega.

My big question still is: Is she going to be healed from that status of diabetes? I have read many articles where people got healed from it. Also, must she have strict raw diet, or she can drink like 3x 200ml of greens juice a day by the normal food? ....
Im offering her 1 month challenge
Please i need tips, helps, suggestions.

Thank you all!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diabetes healing! Urgent.
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:16PM

It's much easier for people with type 2, as their pancreas still produces insulin. For type 1, the pancreas needs to heal. For some, this may be doable, but much harder. In any case, eating a raw diet will help, as well as getting plenty of rest and sleep, exercise, being outdoors in clean air and sunshine, reducing stress, and healing one's mental and emotional pain.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 02, 2014 11:40PM

So she's an insulin-dependent type-2 diabetic?

A diet rich in healthy fats (sprouted nuts/seeds, coconut, olives), green juices, algae's (chlorella, spirulina, AFA) and small amounts of low glycemic fruit such as berries, cherries, grapefruit, etc., should give her positive results. Furthermore.. chromium, curcumin, magnesium, panax ginseng, vitamin D3, royal jelly, reishi and genistein/daidzein are beneficial for diabetes. Garlic is also a powerful anti-diabetic food. Healthy nuts/seeds include sprouted walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts and chia/hemp/flax/sunflower seeds. Sprouted grains may help as well, including "pseudo grains" amaranth and quinoa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 11:51PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 03, 2014 02:20AM

blueberries
grapefruits
persimmons
calorie restriction
cayene
green tea
caffeine
pomegranade vinegar
rose hips tea

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

In this special issue, we’re introducing you to an enzyme within our cells called AMPK. In youth, AMPK is more activated 3 and helps protect against obesity4 and diabetes.5

When cells are chronically over-nourished, the energy-mobilizing enzymatic activity of AMPK diminishes.15,16 The outward effects manifest in the form of unwanted weight gain, diabetes, degenerative disease, and premature death.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 03, 2014 02:53AM

Am I the only one who remembers how LacikeRaw's famous first post recipe went down?

"I believe i can help her with raw food implementation to her diet."

LacileRaw, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. She needs more experienced and well trained guidance just not to have her health problems get even worse. If she is smart she is not going to follow your guidance as even you realize and acknowledge you don't know what you should do or are doing.

Maybe doing nothing to guide may be the best course of action in this case. You can always be there for her to lend her emotional support or raw food making equipment should she decide to meet your challenge to go raw. I'm sure you don't want to unknowingly make things worse for her. You could.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 03, 2014 07:00PM

I agree with most of what both SueZ and Prana have said above. LacikeRaw, if your friend's pancreas doesn't produce insulin at all, she most likely has Type 1 Diabetes. There is damage to her pancreas, and she has insulin injections in place of naturally-secreted insulin from her pancreas.

Although dietary improvements have been known to help reverse Type 2 Diabetes, there is no validated evidence of this ever being the case for Type 1.

For example, Dr. Gabriel Cousens has worked extensively with diabetics. At one point he claimed that his raw food regimen could reverse both Type 1 and Type 2, but he now claims reversal only for Type 2.

Your idea of buying a juicer for your friend could potentially lead to problems for a Type 1 Diabetic (even serious problems), since juicing will concentrate the sugars, while simultaneously removing the fiber. Fiber is crucial for diabetics because it slows down sugar absorption.

If you would like to help your friend, I would suggest that you offer to pay for a consultation with a vegan registered dietitian (RD) or registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). RD/RDNs have the necessary training to work with diabetics, and several are available online who consult by phone. If your friend does decide to try raw, she should discuss this with her RD/RDN.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 07:13PM by suncloud.

Date: December 03, 2014 08:50PM

"if your friend's pancreas doesn't produce insulin at all, she most likely has Type 1 Diabetes"

Not exactly true, she'd be an insulin-dependent type-2 diabetic unless her immune system is attacking the beta cells (cells that produce insulin) of her pancreas. Type-1 is an autoimmune disease and type-2 is a metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to properly use or ultimately make enough insulin.

"If you would like to help your friend, I would suggest that you offer to pay for a consultation with a vegan registered dietitian (RD) or registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). RD/RDNs have the necessary training to work with diabetics, and several are available online who consult by phone. If your friend does decide to try raw, she should discuss this with her RD/RDN."

I would recommend a Naturopathic doctor way before I'd recommend an RD. Not only have I seen some very bad advice/misinformed writings by RD's online but I used to work at a retirement home in the kitchen and all their RD did was take things like salt, sugar, or milk out of certain individual's diets while simultaneously coming up with meals that were all garbage hospital food. I'm sure she got a nice salary for doing absolutely nothing beneficial for her patients health, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 08:54PM by jtprindl.

Date: December 03, 2014 10:46PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...type-2 is a metabolic disorder
> resulting from the body's inability to properly
> use or ultimately make enough insulin.

jtprindl, please note that LacikeRaw said, "All I know she has the status of diabetes where pankreas doesnt produce inzulin at all."

This is not consistent with your definition of Type 2 Diabetes (quoted above). An inability to produce "enough" insulin is completely different than an inability to produce any insulin at all. When a person can make no insulin at all (especially if the person is only 28), the person is most likely a Type 1 Diabetic.

The term "insulin-dependent" has traditionally referred to Type 1 (because Type 1 always requires an outside source of insulin), while "non-insulin-dependent" has traditionally referred to Type 2 (because Type 2 doesn't always require an outside source of insulin) .

However, the terms "insulin-dependent" and "non-insulin-dependent" are no longer considered appropriate. This is because the terms are confusing, due to the fact that Type 2 diabetics often require an outside source of insulin to have "enough" insulin available.

"Some patients with type 2 diabetes require insulin, so the old terms of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) for type 1 diabetes and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) for type 2 diabetes are inappropriate."

[www.patient.co.uk]

> I would recommend a Naturopathic doctor way before
> I'd recommend an RD. Not only have I seen some
> very bad advice/misinformed writings by RD's
> online but I used to work at a retirement home in
> the kitchen and all their RD did was take things
> like salt, sugar, or milk out of certain
> individual's diets while simultaneously coming up
> with meals that were all garbage hospital food.
> I'm sure she got a nice salary for doing
> absolutely nothing beneficial for her patients
> health, though.

Please note that my suggestion was for LacikeRaw's friend to see a VEGAN dietitian. I agree with you about many of the mainstream dietitians. However, there are now many VEGAN dietitians who are sympathetic to both cooked and raw food vegan diet, really know their stuff, are trained to work with diabetics.

Brenda Davis for example, has authored and co-authored many books and articles on vegan diet/raw vegan diet/diabetes; and she has led the diabetes program on the Marshall Islands now for several years. She would be a phenomenal resource for any diabetic. She charges $120 for a one-hour consultation without a written report. [www.brendadavisrd.com]

Of course there's no harm in seeing both a dietitian (a VEGAN dietitian) and a naturopath.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 10:52PM by suncloud.

Date: December 03, 2014 11:31PM

"This is not consistent with your definition of Type 2 Diabetes (quoted above). An inability to produce "enough" insulin is completely different than an inability to produce any insulin at all. When a person can make no insulin at all (especially if the person is only 28), the person is most likely a Type 1 Diabetic."

It is 100% consistent with the definition I posted as not producing any insulin would fall under the category of "not enough". Type-1 is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the beta cells of the pancreas, not simply when the body doesn't produce insulin. You can overwork your pancreas by following an unhealthy diet to the point where it burns out and doesn't produce insulin but that is different than type-1 which again is an autoimmune disease. The result of both conditions is essentially the same but the cause is different.

Date: December 04, 2014 02:48AM

Typically, if a 28-year-old's pancreas is not making any insulin at all, it is a result of damage to the pancreas from the autoimmune response inherent in Type 1 Diabetes. Regarding Type 2, "Further progression of the disease is marked in its later stages by an absolute insulin deficiency" (The Art & Science of Diabetes Self-Management Education Desk Reference, 3rd Ed.).

At the age of 28, late stage progression of Type 2 Diabetes would not be expected.

So if this person - at 28 years old - isn't making any insulin, the person most likely has Type 1 Diabetes, IMO.

Whatever the case, we don't have access to the medical record, so we can only speculate on the exact diagnosis.

For guidance towards the best possible prognosis and outcome, I would recommend seeing a VEGAN dietitian like Brenda Davis, who is savvy about both vegan and raw vegan diet and also has extensive training and experience with diabetes.[www.brendadavisrd.com]

A credentialed Naturopathic Doctor may be helpful as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 02:50AM by suncloud.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 04, 2014 03:31AM

I'd put my two bits on there being about as much chance of LacikeRaw having a diabetic friend in need of urgent dietary help as there was of him/her needing smoothie recipe help for a puking grandmother in his first post - none.

Date: December 04, 2014 03:58AM

"Regarding Type 2, "Further progression of the disease is marked in its later stages by an absolute insulin deficiency" (The Art & Science of Diabetes Self-Management Education Desk Reference, 3rd Ed.)."

That's what I said lol... "You can overwork your pancreas by following an unhealthy diet to the point where it burns out and doesn't produce insulin".

In her case, it could be either but as we've said it would be in her best interest to consult a Naturopathic doctor (if possible) and/or a holistic healthcare professional who has lots of experience dealing with diabetes. Figuring out whether it's pancreatic burnout (type-2 ID) or an autoimmune disease (type-1) would help with determining treatment options. Still, a diet similar to what I previously mentioned should make a positive impact.

Date: December 04, 2014 07:29AM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Regarding Type 2, "Further progression of the
> disease is marked in its later stages by an
> absolute insulin deficiency" (The Art & Science of
> Diabetes Self-Management Education Desk Reference,
> 3rd Ed.)."
>
> That's what I said lol... "You can overwork your
> pancreas by following an unhealthy diet to the
> point where it burns out and doesn't produce
> insulin".

Except, jtprindl, that the citation above refers to "later stages", which most likely rules out LacikeRaw's 28-year-old friend. That's my only point here that differs from yours, but it's an important one. I can't say that "absolute insulin deficiency" for Type 2 Diabetes is impossible at the age of 28, but it's highly unlikely and would be considered extremely rare.

"...Typically, patients with diabetes have been classified as having either type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes based on their presumed etiologies. Type 1 diabetes is often an autoimmune disease associated with islet cell antibodies. It is generally associated with an absolute insulin deficiency and onset before the age of 30. It often occurs in people at or below their expected ideal body weight. In contrast, type 2 diabetes is associated with absence of circulating islet cell antibodies and relative insulin deficiency and occurs in people over age 40 who are likely to be obese."

[journal.diabetes.org]

Notice that the onset age associated with Type 2 diabetes is typically over 40. Unfortunately, we now do have children with Type 2 diabetes, but this is still uncommon; and many additional years would be expected for developing "absolute insulin deficiency", which is generally associated with Type 1.

If however you can find an example of a Type 2 Diabetic younger than 30 with absolute insulin deficiency, this would be a very rare case that I'd be interested in learning about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 07:41AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables