Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's Wrong With Me?!?!?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 19, 2014 06:58AM

I've had trouble breathing for years, it happens in episodes of 3-7 days. I have bloating, gas, chest pain when this happens which leads me to believe it's a hiatal hernia.

Now I have a constant dull headache on the right side that has me feeling dazed. When I have this headache my gut issues are non-existent. My gut started acting up and the headache went away. One goes out, the other comes in. Are they somehow related? I don't even know what to treat anymore. Adrenal? Candida? I know for sure I have digestive issues because I'm always burping and if I eat too much at once or too late in the day I will trigger the bloating with heart palpitations and difficulty breathing.

I've tried every natural remedy for a headache and it's not working. I tried every remedy for angina and that didn't help. Maybe that's a good thing since my heart is probably fine. Can poor gut health lead to these headaches? But then why is my gut not raging when I have this headache? Give me a course of action I can take because I am at a loss right now. I have a cupboard full of supplements with no plan of attack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's Wrong With Me?!?!?
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 19, 2014 02:37PM

In regards to digestion, start using high-quality probiotics. Preferably, make some coconut water kefir because it's far more potent and will give you a much higher dosage of healthy bacteria than slamming down probiotic capsules. Buy two young thai coconuts, strain the water from both of them (should be around 16 ounces), pour into a glass cup or pitcher, mix in high-quality probiotics, cover with a cheesecloth and let it sit in a dark room at room temperature for 24-48 hours. It will be ready when it turns cloudy and tastes sour and the rest can be stored in the refrigerator. Start slow with only 2-3 ounces and work your way up gradually. You may experience die-off symptoms for a short period as the introduction of healthy bacteria kills off unhealthy bacteria. But yes, an unhealthy gut can most definitely lead to headaches.

Also try digestive enzymes, aloe vera juice, chlorella, senna, apple cider vinegar (first thing in morning with water), peppermint oil or tea, and ginger. Be sure to drink enough water because dehydration can promote headaches as well. Drink nearly a liter of water upon waking.

What does your typical daily diet look like?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:17PM

My primary suggestion for you rufio would be to see a credentialed naturopathic doctor who can have you tested for much of what you are suspecting, plus give you additional suggestions based on evidence and experience.

Date: December 19, 2014 11:43PM

Too late to edit my post above. I just wanted to add that jtprindle's suggestions may be helpful. However, I would avoid senna due to possible side effects of abdominal discomfort, which you probably would like to presently avoid.

"Side effects include: Abdominal discomfort, nausea, mild cramps, griping, faintness."

[www.drugs.com]

The senna fruit (rather than the leaf) may be OK. Still, it would probably be best to consult with a credentialed professional for advice and and for attempting to establish a diagnosis.

"Senna fruit seems to be gentler than senna leaf. This has led the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) to warn against long-term use of senna leaf, but not senna fruit. The AHPA recommends that senna leaf products be labeled, "Do not use this product if you have abdominal pain or diarrhea.

"How does it work?

"Senna contains many chemicals called sennosides. Sennosides irritate the lining of the bowel, which causes a laxative effect."

Date: December 20, 2014 12:01AM

Too late to edit - again. But here is the source for the quotes at the end of my last post:

[www.webmd.com]

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 21, 2014 12:49AM

Chronic migraine headaches can also be caused by estrogen dominance. You could have a hormonal imbalance. BPA, which is found in cans (you mentioned recently eating canned foods in another thread), is a xenoestrogen.

Date: December 21, 2014 06:35PM

If ginger or garlic don't work for my headaches, would other herbs like feverfew, butterbur still be worth trying?

Date: December 21, 2014 10:49PM

IMO, a variety of herbs may (or may not) be worth trying. Check for potential side effects first, even for herbs. And if you're on any kind of medication - even over-the-counter, check for interactions.

However IMO, if a diagnosis is possible, this could be extremely beneficial for you. A good naturopathic doctor can order the appropriate tests PLUS advise you about supplements and herbs. If nothing else, some causes can be ruled out by testing, and you'll avoid wasting money and stress over those.

And you might even find that whatever is wrong should be addressed immediately. If this is the case, it's probably best not to waste time distracting yourself by experimenting with potentially ineffective remedies.

From a personal perspective, my husband has had horrible migraines nearly all his life. His neck goes out and his nose was broken several times, resulting in breathing problems. Both issues have contributed to his migraines. Chiropractors don't help, because the fix to his neck only lasts minutes at best.

We have a great naturopathic doctor. After trying a few supplements and herbs that didn't work at all, she wrote him a scrip for a CPAP. This is helpful, especially at night.

He has also found that Iyengar yoga is surprisingly helpful for both issues, and he now practices 5 days a week.

You have breathing problems too, but you have additional symptoms as well. You may even be suffering from more than one condition. Talking to people and trying this or that is a good thing. But consulting with a good naturopathic doctor who can run tests and give you trained advice about potential remedies may ultimately help you more and cost you less.

Unfortunately, no one over the internet can reliably tell you what's wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 10:54PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 21, 2014 11:23PM

Rufio, there is a reason someone recommended that you see a naturopath...it's because you need a differential diagnosis. But also there are other kinds of therapists, like Chinese and western herbalists, acupuncturists, chiropractors who practice nutrition, etc.

I am an herbalist (and acupuncturist) and there different herbs for different kinds of headacnes and accompanying symtoms (I am not taking on any new clients, but I will share migrain info, because it is so debilitating. I even know someone who tried to commit suicide over them)
The herbs would vary if other symptoms are present: constipation, neck pain, liver disorders, cold or flu/infection (inner ear, tooth, etc). Different accompanying symtoms require different herbs.
Lastly, EVERY non-organic and processed food item that you eat must be examined as a potential culprit. It sounds like you are not organic if you are eating sulfites. So, maybe are you eating excitotoxins? Are you eating MSG? Are you eating gluten and what about pesticides? Pesticides are potent brain toxins (green juice, even if raw, can concentrate pesticides. So ONLY use organic, if you have any brain problems). Alcohol is another trigger for the liver. Cigarettes give your brain carbon monoxide.

The following is a generic migraine formula in Chinese medicine (it will different if an infection is present), which I have used in conjunction with other formulas depending on other problems. Read my other post about how IF you have hypothyroidism, you should treat that too to help the headaches.

Ingredients (I am only posting this in case you see an acupuncturist/herbalist and you can print this out for them as a possibility. Evergreen herbs sell this as a formula called Migratrol, but they only sell to licensed practitioners NOT to the public.)

Bai Shao (Radix Paeoniae Alba)
Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis)
Shu Di Huang (Radix Rehmanniae Praeparata)
Bai Zhi (Radix Angelicae Dahuricae)
Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Chuanxiong)
Ge Gen (Radix Puerariae Lobatae)
Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi)
Sang Ji Sheng (Herba Taxilli)
Tian Ma (Rhizoma Gastrodiae)
Yu Jin (Radix Curcumae)
Man Jing Zi (Fructus Viticis)

If you go to see an acupuncturist, they could help with the pain and give you an herbal formula based on all of your symptoms. I have always helped migraines and headaches and I personally believe that Chinese medicine excels in this area in terms of quick results). Very often, I find blockages in people's necks that are contributing to headaches, so a combo of a neck and shoulder herbal formula often help the migraine formula, but all this has to be sorted out by a practitioner.

The last thing I will add for migraines is:
1) The Gerson therapy was marketed as a migraine cure for all kinds of migraines. It is a hypoallergenic diet, as most high raw vegan diets are.
2) Lou Corona, an all raw vegan, has had success with his diet at helping migraines.

So, without a doubt, diet can eventually help. But if you want to use herbs, I recommend getting in touch with a real practitioner.

Date: December 22, 2014 02:48AM

Thanks Tai,

I've tried for many years to have my husband see an acupuncturist. Unfortunately, he's always absolutely refused, due to fear of needles.

It may be that a team of practitioners could be helpful for rufio, and these days there are wellness centers that could provide such help. IMO, a good vegan dietitian nutritionist could be included in the health care team, but scope of practice would only allow that person to provide nutrition therapy and a nutrition care plan (hopefully designed with client input), not to diagnose.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 22, 2014 03:42AM

suncloud:

I've tried for many years to have my husband see an acupuncturist. Unfortunately, he's always absolutely refused, due to fear of needles.

Tai:
I have one teacher who only practices herbalism, even though he is a licensed acupuncturist. Some acupuncturists are excellent herbalists and some acupuncturists are poor with herbs. Going to an acupuncturist does not equal getting 20-30 needles stuck in you, although it can with some. There are two techniques: local and distal. He can get acupuncture in his ankles and wrists to help his neck. He does not have to have needles in his neck, if he is afraid. In fact, the easy way always is distal and I often use that first. It cuts down on the work I have to do locally. Also putting herbal patches on his neck can help, and even herbal poultices. The main thing, in my opinion, is to take herbs internally, because they help to remineralize and repair, while the treatments just help speed things along. Chinese herbs are amazing for the neck.

Date: December 22, 2014 06:27AM

Thank you Tai. I will mention this to him. We do have Chinese herbalists locally.

Both the ND and I have suggested acupuncture, but....no way. He hates any kind of needle, anywhere. eye popping smiley

Date: December 22, 2014 10:34PM

I've been burping like crazy the last few days, with tightness in my solar plexus region and difficulty breathing.

I've tried slippery elm, digestive bitters, nettle tea, ginger, cayenne every morning, vitamin e w/ selenium and coq10, downward massaging.

I am going to try sauerkraut and dandelion next. I did try some guided meditations last night on youtube that opened my airways enough to get a decent night's sleep. I am new to meditation so perhaps this could be a big help. The dandelion I read also assists with releasing tension in the solar plexus. Apparently dandelion was designed for people like me who hold in tension and worry too much!

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 22, 2014 11:01PM

rufio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been burping like crazy the last few days,
> with tightness in my solar plexus region and
> difficulty breathing.
>
> I've tried slippery elm, digestive bitters, nettle
> tea, ginger, cayenne every morning, vitamin e w/
> selenium and coq10, downward massaging.
>
> I am going to try sauerkraut and dandelion next. I
> did try some guided meditations last night on
> youtube that opened my airways enough to get a
> decent night's sleep. I am new to meditation so
> perhaps this could be a big help. The dandelion I
> read also assists with releasing tension in the
> solar plexus. Apparently dandelion was designed
> for people like me who hold in tension and worry
> too much!

Why not cut to the chase. It's enema time.

Date: December 22, 2014 11:25PM

I have no idea how to do an enema. Can I do it myself and is it not messy?

Date: December 23, 2014 12:32AM

rufio Wrote:
> I have no idea how to do an enema. Can I do it
> myself and is it not messy?

It's easy to do but can be messy the first time or two when you are learning but you will catch on fast and it is well worth learning how to do. I would suggest putting a towel on the floor of your bathroom over a yoga mat (for comfort) and lying on your left side for water only enemas.

Here is one of many helpful videos on youtube. Watch several before you do anything. You are not going to believe how much better you are going to feel once you've cleaned yourself out of that @#$%& which has been torturing you. Then it will be time to invest in a high quality ss and surgical silicone enema set. You will never want to be without such a kit again. Just be careful and do everything slowly and mindfully.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 23, 2014 01:15AM

Seems pretty simple. My question is.. after you're done... can you just get up and go to the toilet without all the liquid falling out of you?

Date: December 23, 2014 02:44AM

rufio Wrote:
> Seems pretty simple. My question is.. after you're
> done... can you just get up and go to the toilet
> without all the liquid falling out of you?

There are variables. The idea is for you to hold it in with your muscle tone but if that isn't possible due to being too stuffed up or some other problem it's nice to have a back up plan such as a towel and a free hand for the little dash.

Don't try to hold the water in for more than 5 minutes. If that isn't possible get thee to the toilet and hold in as much of the water as you can while sitting there. I also would not have the water bag more than 2 feet higher than your butt or it may go in too fast. If the water going in gets uncomfortable clamp of the tube until the water inside you is not all still in one area and let the water go in more slowly when you unclamp the tube again. Clockwise circular massage of your tummy eases up cramping from gas pockets etc. If you want to you can just use half of the water at a time until you get the hang of it and are cleaner inside. If you get any sharp pains that are not just from hitting a gas pocket stop. You don't want to do yourself any damage.

Although it is highly NOT recommended by almost everyone to do enemas while having abdominal pain I have stopped many painful gall bladder and pyloric valve attacks over the years with enemas. I am just an untrained experimenter, though, so I'm just reporting on my experiences. What you decide to do, and when, is completely in you own hands and your responsibility so don't do anything you are not comfortable with or if you are in acute pain of unknown origin, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 02:47AM by SueZ.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables