Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ancient virus made us humans
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 13, 2015 02:44AM

[www.lunduniversity.lu.se]

A new study from Lund University in Sweden indicates that inherited viruses that are millions of years old play an important role in building up the complex networks that characterise the human brain.

Researchers have long been aware that endogenous retroviruses constitute around five per cent of our DNA. For many years, they were considered junk DNA of no real use, a side-effect of our evolutionary journey.

In the current study, Johan Jakobsson and his colleagues show that retroviruses seem to play a central role in the basic functions of the brain, more specifically in the regulation of which genes are to be expressed, and when. The findings indicate that, over the course of evolution, the viruses took an increasingly firm hold on the steering wheel in our cellular machinery. The reason the viruses are activated specifically in the brain is probably due to the fact that tumours cannot form in nerve cells, unlike in other tissues.

“We have been able to observe that these viruses are activated specifically in the brain cells and have an important regulatory role. We believe that the role of retroviruses can contribute to explaining why brain cells in particular are so dynamic and multifaceted in their function. It may also be the case that the viruses’ more or less complex functions in various species can help us to understand why we are so different”, says Johan Jakobsson, head of the research team for molecular neurogenetics at Lund University.

The article, based on studies of neural stem cells, shows that these cells use a particular molecular mechanism to control the activation processes of the retroviruses. The findings provide us with a complex insight into the innermost workings of the most basal functions of the nerve cells. At the same time, the results open up potential for new research paths concerning brain diseases linked to genetic factors.

“I believe that this can lead to new, exciting studies on the diseases of the brain. Currently, when we look for genetic factors linked to various diseases, we usually look for the genes we are familiar with, which make up a mere two per cent of the genome. Now we are opening up the possibility of looking at a much larger part of the genetic material which was previously considered unimportant. The image of the brain becomes more complex, but the area in which to search for errors linked to diseases with a genetic component, such as neurodegenerative diseases, psychiatric illness and brain tumours, also increases”.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ancient virus made us humans
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2015 03:11PM

There are some who suspect that RNA actually built DNA to serve as their personal added information storage units. We know so so little yet about what life is.

I'm foggy on it but as I recall it's been known for at least 15 years that junk genes are not junk. I remember reading an article about the part they play in determining timing in moth's life cycles in a Scientific American magazine article ages ago. The timing mechanism in charge of one stage commencing into the next stage in the moth's life cycle was found to be in A GENE WITHIN A "JUNK" GENE! When I read that was when I vowed to never knowingly to have anything to do with the GMO's being scattershot into the "junk" genes throughout our food chain - ever.

Thanks for posting this article, Panchito. It's an important one - not only in and of itself - but for the generational implications that the use of GMO's being scattershot into "junk" genes must be having in regards to our species. Etc. And that's one big all inclusive etc. ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 03:14PM by SueZ.

Date: January 13, 2015 05:18PM

GMO busnisses uses the technique of tunnel vision. They pick what they want to show and act like there is nothing else to see. As time goes by, their safety theories will deteriorate.

Date: January 13, 2015 09:02PM

Almost, if not all, bacteria used in commerce are GMO strains. They do not have to be listed as being used on product labels even though the may still themselves be present. That is one reason why I do not use products like nutritional yeast.

Date: January 14, 2015 02:59AM

yeast are fungus not bacteria but they are killed with heat in order to make nutritional yeast

Date: January 14, 2015 03:57AM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeast are fungus not bacteria but they are killed
> with heat in order to make nutritional yeast

In nutritional yeast that has B12 in it the B12 is produced by bacteria not the yeast itself.

Date: January 14, 2015 04:01AM

and? b12 is a molecule made by bacteria. There is no GMO in b12. It is not like milk from a GMO fed cow

Date: January 14, 2015 04:19AM

Panchito Wrote:
> and? b12 is a molecule made by bacteria. There is
> no GMO in b12. It is not like milk from a GMO fed
> cow

I'm talking about GMO bacteria used to manufacture nutritional yeast that has B12 in it.

As I said before - GMO's do not have to be listed as being used on product labels even though they may still themselves be present. If your nutritional yeast has B12 in it it has most likely been produced by GMO bacteria without anyone having to tell you that about it. They will not tell you about it. I am trying to tell you about it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2015 04:23AM by SueZ.

Date: January 14, 2015 05:36PM

SueZ Wrote:
> I'm talking about GMO bacteria used to
> manufacture nutritional yeast that has B12 in it.

I don't believe nutritional yeast is made with bacteria. It is fungus with added b12 as supplement powder (no bacteria anywhere).

Date: January 14, 2015 05:52PM

Panchito Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm talking about GMO bacteria used to
> > manufacture nutritional yeast that has B12 in
> it.
>
> I don't believe nutritional yeast is made with
> bacteria. It is fungus with added b12 as
> supplement powder (no bacteria anywhere).

Well if you can't understand the concept you can't understand the concept. God knows I tried to explain it to you and why I will not continue that effort. Believe whatever you fancy to believe. Who knows, maybe someone got something out of what I've said. That's all I can hope for.

Date: January 14, 2015 06:07PM

Are you saying that all b12 supplements are GMO?

I don't know where is your confusion. It has some b vitains from the fungus, but zero b12 because fungae do not produce b12. Only bacteria produce b12. But the bacteria itself is not added to the nutritional yeast only the b12. In b12, there is no room to storage genetic information because it is a small single molecule. Information is made by ordering different molecules, but b12 is a single incapable of storing any information anywhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables