Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

World Health Organization links weed killers to cancer
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 22, 2015 08:01PM

Thinking of using weed killers on your yard? How about that produce you bought?

[www.nbcnews.com]

WHO Report Links Weed Killer Ingredient to Cancer Risk

The world's most widely used weed killer can "probably" cause cancer, the World Health Organization said on Friday. The WHO's cancer arm, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, said glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup and other herbicides, was "classified as probably carcinogenic to humans." It also said there was "limited evidence" that glyphosate was carcinogenic in humans for non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Monsanto, the world's largest seed company and Roundup's manufacturer, said in a statement that scientific data do not support the agency's conclusions and called on WHO to hold an urgent meeting to explain the findings.

Concerns about glyphosate on food have been a hot topic of debate in the United States recently, and contributed to the passage in Vermont last year of the country's first mandatory labeling law for foods that are genetically modified. The U.S. government says the herbicide is considered safe.

Glyphosate is mainly used on crops such as corn and soybeans that are genetically modified to survive it. The weed killer has been detected in food, water and in the air after it has been sprayed, according to the WHO agency's report. However, glyphosate use is generally low in and near homes where the public would face the greatest risk of exposure, the report said.

Aerial herbicide impact on farmers in Ecuador

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 08:11PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: World Health Organization links weed killers to cancer
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 22, 2015 08:37PM

I am the only one in my subdivision that does not get those toxins sprayed on my yard. You'd only know it twice a year when my yard is yellow from dandelions for a few weeks - big deal. Is it really worth it for them to have another two weeks of green yard than they would have had without the toxins? Where do they think those toxins eventually end up? Probably into their well water and them. I drink distilled water.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables