Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Natural Skin Care
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:14AM

There's more and more information coming out about how a lack of vitamin D is linked to osteoporosis and cancer, and about how vitamin D supplementation is not a sufficient source of vitamin D. Exposure to sunshine is still the best way for us to get vitamin D. I would just keep that in mind when applying sun screen.

I know for myself that I do need some sunscreen, especially on my face where I'm most likely to burn. On those most sensitive areas, if I know I'll be out in the sun for a while, or even in the shade for a long time, I'll apply an Aubrey 25. It has titanium oxide, which IS somewhat chalky, but the product is better than it used to be, and it keeps me from burning. If I'm directly exposed for longer than a half hour, I'll wear a cap or a good visor.

When I'm just working outside on a normal day I'll apply sunscreen to my face and/or wear a hat plus a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts. My exposed legs and arms go sunscreen free. Those parts of my body almost never burn, and leaving them exposed assures that I will soak up some vitamin D.

My face, shoulders, chest and back seem most sensitive to direct sun, but except for my face, those other parts of my body are not usually exposed unless I'm at the beach or nude sunbathing at my house. During those times, I apply sunscreen all over.

That compromise seems to work pretty well for me. I'd just advise people who are concerned about their health for the long term to consider working out some way to get some natural vitamin D from the sun as regularly as possible. There might be some happy medium they can find where they can get just a little sun at least, without undue risk for skin cancer. After all, terminal skin cancer is one of the rarest forms of cancer, and the types of cancer linked to a lack of vitamin D (like breast cancer) are far more common. Osteoporosis is also very common.

I believe that an overdose of UV rays can be harmful, especially as one gets older, and their skin becomes more sensitive. I believe just about everybody's skin becomes more sensitive as they get older, no matter what their diet is. But I also believe that a lack of vitamin D is not just possibly harmful, but DEFINITELY harmful, and that should not be overlooked. I think you can safely get enough vitamin D by getting a regular supply of sunshine as long as you've given some thought to how much sunshine for you is too much.

If you happen to be one who strongly believes that you are at extreme risk from even the least amount of exposure to the sun, then your best bet for getting vitamin D from a natural source might be to add mushrooms to your diet regularly. It's probably not as good as sunlight, but it's better than ignoring vitamin D altogether.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 04:17AM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 14, 2007 06:07AM

Here is an article by Dr Sniadach about the importance of sunshine on our health.

-------------------------
Sunshine in Sickness
by Dr. Robert Sniadach
<rwsniadach@transformationinstitute.org>

It has been shown that after a fast or any wasting illness, obtaining sufficient sunshine will enable the body to build higher quality flesh. It will also enable the body to most efficiently digest and assimilate food. This is not to imply that we should wait to become sick to make use of the sun's rays. The sun is not a therapeutic agent; it is a basic essential of good health and nutrition. Sunlight is of value in all states and conditions of the body and in all stages of development. Its importance must be relegated to that of hygiene, and it should not be thought of as a specific "cure" for a disease condition.

Sunlight plays a great role in proper bone development. This is due to the fact that only through the aid of sunlight, particularly the ultraviolet rays, may the laying down and fixation of the calcium and phosphorus salts be accomplished in an ideal fashion as to make for the transformation of cartilage into bone. On the other hand, when insufficient sunlight is obtained, the result is defective, misshapen, brittle and easily broken bones, a condition known as rickets.

Sunlight also proves invaluable in cases of glandular inactivity, favorably affecting irregularities of ovulation, pubertal difficulties and impotency. Acne, a condition representing a glandular disturbance of the skin, is also noticeably aided by sunlight, as is the condition of psoriasis. Also, as sunshine aids in increasing the coagulating power of the blood, it is of inestimable value to sufferers from hemorrhage disorders. Additionally, if cautiously applied, the sunbath can be very valuable in some nervous affections.

Solar rays also have regulating effects on microorganisms. An antibiotic and antiviral effect has been noted. In fact, sunlight and concentrated doses of specific light wavelengths were being aggressively used to deal with infectious diseases prior to the discovery of sulfa drugs and other chemical antibiotics. Soon thereafter these light therapies fell into disuse.

The Sunbath

Sunbaths play a vital role in the life processes of human nutrition, the tanning process being coincident with them. There is a tendency to overexpose the skin to acquire a "good tan," and this should be avoided, as it will enervate the body, lessening the value of the sunbath.

The untanned body should begin with exposure to the solar rays of about ten minutes a day and increase gradually until an hour or more may be taken without harm. Too much sun will result in restlessness and decreased nerve tone. Generally, additional precaution must be taken by blond and red-haired people, as they do not pigment as readily as dark-haired people. Heliophobes, those individuals who redden and blister and are cautioned to stay out of the sun, should still take sunbaths but do so for short periods during the early morning or late afternoon hours to avoid large amounts of ultraviolet rays.

The sunbath should be taken in an entirely nude state or with scanty attire, preferably without glasses or hats, as the eyes and hair also benefit. Sunglasses render the eyes more sensitive to the sunlight and ultimately impair the vision. It is also known that sunlight accelerates the growth of hair.

Suntan lotion or olive oil on the skin is unnecessary and should not be used. These will prevent all the ultraviolet rays from being absorbed and will inhibit the oil-secreting glands of the body from working properly. They will not prevent the injurious effects of excessive sunbathing, nor will they provide for a uniform tan. Remember, it is not mere tanning that we seek, but a general revitalizing of the entire organism, not confined to the skin alone.

If the sunbath is taken at the beach, additional caution must be exercised, as the reflection from the sand and water cause more sun rays to strike the body. Thus, burning will result more quickly. Neither a thin haze over the sun nor a cool breeze will prevent the ultraviolet rays from reaching us. It is important to understand in this context that it is not the sun's heat from which we benefit (except secondarily on a cold day), but rather its light. The hot sun is very exhausting and should be avoided, and like other animals we should instinctively seek the shade at these times.

Those people living in colder climates must take advantage of the warmer months to secure an ample supply of sun-made reserves to carry them through sunless periods. This is not to say that the body stores up sunshine, but rather it stores up substances produced with the aid of sunshine to be used in times of stringency. Along with vitamin D, there are likely other materials that are synthesized in the body with the aid of the sun's rays. These body reserves will be adequate as long as the general mode of living throughout the year is not enervating. All forms of excesses, dissipation of the emotions, lack of rest and sleep, sexual excesses, overwork and/or an improper diet will waste these reserves.

Some additional precautions should be noted in the case of invalids or generally weak individuals. If the sunbath leaves the person feeling weak or depressed or with an increase in any of his/her symptoms, then it has been overdone. Fever, headache, weariness, loss of appetite and sleeplessness may all be considered signs of excess. In those individuals suffering from asthma or tuberculosis, a difficulty in breathing may be experienced. Nervous patients may not be able to sleep due to a stimulating effect caused by too much sun. The end result for securing the sunbath should be to produce a better feeling in the individual, not worse. A person's need for sunlight is dependent upon their ability to make use of these light rays. Overindulgence of the sunbath will lend to additional enervation and is damaging.

It is best to gradually increase one's exposure to the suns rays and at the same time pay close attention to the body's natural signals that enough exposure has been taken. These signals include restlessness, increased perspiration due to overheating, and possibly mental confusion, i.e. feeling "spaced out". The goal of the sunbath is to be a soothing and pleasurable experience that does not overextend the body's ability to nourish itself with the sun's energies. Just as with food nutrition, moderation, well within one's capabilities, is ideal. Too much, even if no outward damage to the skin is seen, is harmful.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:35AM

I did want to say one more thing in support of sunscreen. I just was in Panama as you all know and a man who has been a fruitarian for over twenty five years runs it. He does not use anything on his face - And he has very visible sun damage on his forehead and baldhead....Lots of sun spots that are brownish in color. Frankly he looks very weathered. This is not to say that raw foods is not good - Just that I support Arugula in her quest for balance and the use of protective sunscreens.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:54AM

how does raw effect one's ego?

Date: February 22, 2007 03:57AM

anyway. i do use sunscreen. when i get home, i can't wait to wash it off!

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 22, 2007 04:29AM

Rosemary:

What did you mean by that question?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 22, 2007 05:53PM

Maybe Rosemary's question has to do with raw fooders (long term ones) thinking that only raw foods will do them well and not have to use other health practices? Could one's ego at being a long term raw fooder get in the way of reality?

Just my guess at what she meant by her question.

As for me..at my age of 54 and having loved the sun my whole life, and living in SoCal for most of my adult life, I think covering up is a good thing to do..and limiting harsh sun exposure on your bare skin is healthier than just doing nothing. I'm caucasian, and that also plays a part in limiting my sun exposure. I have never used sunscreen on any consistant basis, but I don't smoke or drink and the little sun damage I do have I can take care of it with modern techniques.

I'd post a pic of myself here..if I knew how.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 28, 2007 03:54AM

yes, i wasn't referring to you, dancerinthe night!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 01, 2007 02:30AM

Ethnicities having GENETICALLY characteristic scents??? What the...

Ok that is racist and ignorant beyond belief. Anyone who knows anything about genetics knows that the entire world, with the exception of much of Africa, can be traced back to one common ancestor/ancestral tribe that migrated out of Africa. There is almost NO genetic variation between most of us. Certainly not enough to sling racist smell comments around.

As for sun protection, Bryan's anecdotal evidence is in fact supported by research. Dr. Cousens found that certain raw foods - most notably the combination of microalgaes & flax seed oil- cause the skin to exhibit superior sunscreen protection. Sesame oil, as well, is well known to be a natural sunblock (I unwittingly experienced the effects of this firsthand when I applied Neutrogena sesame oil to my skin all summer one year expecting a nice tan and was baffled as to why I wasn't tanning nearly at all, while my sister, who tans at the same rate as me, was getting way darker even though she was applying an SPF lotion).

And let's not pooh pooh the importance of anecdotal evidence - as any scientist will tell you, it is indeed a valuable tool. Without the presentation of anecdotal evidence, how is one to know what actual studies to conduct?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables