Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Video: Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, and Sugar: Physically Addictive Foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2007 11:44AM

Re: Video: Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, and Sugar: Physically Addictive Foods
Posted by: khale ()
Date: March 23, 2007 12:51PM

Thanks Lee Anne

My mother will be especially interested in this. She's referencing Dr. Barnards' book in her efforts to overcome diabetes mellitus and its' working for her.

As for chocolate being addicting? I can totally relate.

khale

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 23, 2007 04:42PM

Great video.

The work that he does throug PCRM is critical.

I volunteer on my kids' school's wellness committee and boy did I get a real eyeopener when I realized the absolute CRAP that they serve kids in school. And to top it off, there are members of the wellness committee who joined just so that those of us who would like to revamp the lunch program so that their children retain their "right" to buy pop tarts from the school! PRCM is working to re-write the federal food guidelines -- they advocate a vegan (although not specifically raw) diet.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 23, 2007 08:01PM

llulu!

You will love this - every school need a chef like this. Fascinating!

School Food

I especially love the idea of giving the food interesting names - I do that with my kids, and it really works!

Sapphire

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 23, 2007 08:55PM

I LOVE the message that PCRM is sending out. (Raw, even better!) Nothing could be better than implementing these ideas into our schools, the kids would benefit so much.

Except for one problem....

A lot of kids just don't want anyone to take away all their deep fried greasy choices.

The parents' group at my school did this - took away all the really bad stuff, and replaced everything with healthier choices (albeit, nothing even close to PCRM standards.)

Result? - The fast food place up the street from the school is making a killing, line-ups out the door every day. Wish I owned shares in THAT business (just kidding!).

Better to stick to things that will actually be well received, even if you have to get really creative in order to get the message across. That's why I love the above article. He improved things, but only as far as he can go without alienating the students. In time, it will probably improve even more!

Small steps!
Sapphire

Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 23, 2007 09:16PM

Sapphire--
So far we are implementing this in the elementary school and hopefully can shift into the Jr.& High schools next year. We have the added advantage of living in a rural area and the closest McD is about 2 miles away. If kids want to walk that far, at least they're getting their exercise! (They're not allowed to drive off school grounds mid-day.

My feeling about the crap they sell in the school cafeterias is that schools are in the business of EDUCATING our kids -- and they are educating them -- teaching that eating ff, hamburgers, chemical, processed foods is OK, each and every day -- by serving those items. And for those who argue the moderation argument -- eating that stuff sometimes 2, 3, 4 times a day is not moderation. Eating that stuff once everyday is NOT moderation. I don't send my children to school to watch movies and videos all day even though they would prefer that -- children should not be deciding what schools serve them for lunch nor what the curriculum should be. And, the government should not be in the business of padding the pockets of special interest/large corporations by giving corporate executives the power to determine guidelines for the food pyramid (cattle/dairy industries) or buying back unhealthy surplus foods to give to our kids for school lunch. And school budgets should not be in the business of enriching food service companies' bottom line at the expense of our children. Is it wrong for food services to come in, offer a service and be paid for it? Maybe not. Maybe it is a win/win. But when they refuse to provide healthy nutritious foods and only want to sell items that have the greatest profit margins, then I think parents, schools and communities need to find a better solution for our kids. Because it will be our kids who suffer, with ever increasing numbers being stricken with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and preventable cancers at younger and younger ages. The truth is, it scares me! This is part of the message PRCM is attempting to get out!

Gee?? Do you think this hits a hot button for me?? smiling smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 23, 2007 09:52PM

I belong to Peta and he is in Animal Times all the time as the vegetarian doctor whom people ask questons to

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 24, 2007 04:35PM

Great video and info..thanks for sharing!
I'm going to remember: Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, Sugar are addictive!
Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables