Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Breast MRI's urged for 1.4 million women
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 28, 2007 09:12PM

As a breast cancer survivor, I find this quite shocking:

"Up to 1.4 million U.S. women — those with an unusually high risk of developing breast cancer — should get annual MRIs as well as mammograms, the American Cancer Society advises in new guidelines."

article

First of all, a mammogram gives you a big dose of radiation, but it seems to be a necessary evil. At least they SAY that the risks outweigh the benefits. (If you have already had cancer once, then subjecting yourself to any radiation that you don't absolutely have to would seem wrong, at least to me, but we do what we gotta do!)

From what I understand, compared to a mammogram, an MRI gives you a much more powerful dose of radiation (AND it radiates your entire body!!). Now for those of us whose cancer has spread, it would mean earlier detection. But for those of us for whom it has not (which would be the majority), it would be a needless exposure to something toxic, that we of all people can least afford to be exposed to.

And also, it is interesting that the A.C.S. doesn't really mention this aspect of becoming overly radiated. We don't want to do this to our food, but it's ok to do to our bodies? Bodies that already have a proven track record of CANCER! Unbelieveable!!

But then, there is the financial aspect - they can charge about ten - twenty times the amount for a MRI compared to a mammogram. Better yet, they are saying to get both - double whammy! People wonder why I get frustrated - the world has gone crazy!

Sapphire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breast MRI's urged for 1.4 million women
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 01, 2007 11:54PM

Sapphire- How often should a forty year old woman with low risk of breast cancer get a mammogram in your opinion?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: April 03, 2007 10:33PM

Good question.

When I was diagnosed, I was a 40 year old woman. According to the list of risk factors, I didn't have any.

I had a dimple form on my breast (couldn't feel any lump), and the mammogram confirmed the problem - 3 cm tumor (HUGE!), deep nearly against my chest wall.

But I think a mammogram is pretty low radiation compared to an MRI.

Talk to your doctor about how often to get mammograms, but be sure to learn the proper way to do a self-examination. And watch the symmetry and texture of your breasts. Sometimes a problem can manifest as something other than a lump - cottage cheese texture skin, a dimple, etc. Be sure to check under your arms as well - your doctor can show you how.

I would not have bothered to get a mammogram if my doctor hadn't told me to. My mom went back seven generations in my family - we can't find anyone who has ever had breast cancer. I was a (cooked) vegetarian (I still ate cheese and tofu then). I breastfed four kids, three of which were born before I was 30. My periods were perfect all my life. I was within 5 lb of my supposed perfect weight, and worked out regularly. I didn't smoke or drink excessively.

My biggest regret is that I just assumed I was safe because I took pretty good care of myself, and if I had only been more on the ball, I might have caught it sooner.

So, chances are that you are fine, but don't ever let down your guard either. Nobody can really say what will happen.

Sapphire

Date: April 08, 2007 03:56PM

Boy, that is kind of scary. I am so glad you made it through.

I had a mammogram last fall because I have some "lumps" in my left breast. I know it is milk that I keep producing. It never has quit lactating since my first child. After the mammogram lots of milk came out. Now I push it out every few weeks after it builds up again. My diet hasn't been much different than yours. My lifesyle has been a little more unhealthy than yours, I think. I just turned 38 and I was thinking about having a mammogram every year but then thought that seems like an unnecessarily high amount. I worry about that left one though.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 16, 2007 04:23PM

I personally will never have a mammogram or an MRI because I believe the risks outweigh the advantages, and I'd rather do periodic fasts and keep my diet clean, exercise daily, etc. to limit the likelihood of getting cancer.

I believe the whole cancer 'establishment' is a racket based more on the bottom line than anything else.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 16, 2007 05:26PM

they need to cancerize the population so that they can "cure" them.
if youve already had cancer, i think its completely understandable to continue doing annual or bi-annual (whatever you want really) checks to make sure it hasnt returned or anything like that...
but in almost any other situation..i would avoid the medical community as much as possible.

we live in a world where they label personality traits (enjoys sleeping in, sarcastic..etc) as diseases/disorders and then try to medicate you for it. its all about money, and it appears as though if theres anyway they can get you to go along with their lies and think your doing something good for yourself, no matter how unhealthy and expensive it is for you..they will still over-emphasize its importance in the name of profit.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 16, 2007 11:31PM

I wanted to amend what I said in my post above-- hope I didn't offend anyone who has already had cancer, and I didn't mean it in a 'snarky' way. ;-p Breast cancer is a serious thing, and I understand why anyone who's already had cancer would have regular mammograms and check-ups-- makes sense.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 17, 2007 03:54AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> I believe the whole cancer 'establishment' is a
> racket based more on the bottom line than anything
> else.

Yeah, I am with you on that.

Maybe I won't have any more either.

Thanks so much for your wise women opinions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables