Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Found this info. on Zeolite
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 17, 2007 05:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Found this info. on Zeolite
Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 17, 2007 06:09PM

creepy.

ive never heard of zeolite...but i wouldnt trust anything that makes those kind of claims...especially when they dont list a source.

thanks for posting the link smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2007 06:09PM by silverundertone.

Date: April 17, 2007 11:22PM

Hi Silverundertone,

Tree of Life sells it (among others) and a lot of raw foodists are buying it for detoxification. That's why I looked it up and decided to post the article, to give another viewpoint.

Whenever anything is a) a supplement, not a food and b) very expensive, I always check it out pretty thoroughly before I go and buy it.

P.S. Is that Silverundertone as in '(Every cloud has a) silver lining?' ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 17, 2007 11:45PM

i definitely need to do some reading on the subject..

meaning of the name: subliminality...things hidden just beneath the surface..

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 26, 2007 04:52AM

Kwan:

The guy in your link is selling his own health services, including tons of supplements. Not exactly an impartial source!

Zeolite has been used for scores of years in animal husbandry to remove aflatoxins. There has been a lot of research on it, including clinical trials on cancer, showing it to be safe and have positive results. Many people on this site (including me) have had wonderful benefits from using it.

Definitely do some reading on the subject, you may be surprised at what you find.

Date: April 26, 2007 03:11PM

Hi Greenie,
Thanks, I'll definitely do some more reading.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 26, 2007 06:23PM

Kwan,

Just to add a note: The NCD Zeolite is sold via multi-level and is IMHO grossly overpriced. THey also claim to have 'activated' it in a way that removes impurities - their claim to fame, so to speak, and the reason to buy their product, not the other zeolites that are cheaper. I have no idea if their activated zeolite is better than others, and I have a lot of issues with the expense, the marketing, and MLM.

All that said, I am taking it and selling it because of the effects I've had so far.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 05, 2007 04:15PM

so basically this guy is saying

1) minerals may have lead and mercury
2) he has a bunch of questions

he does not prove that
1) the minerals from zeolite has lead and mercury
if he was really interested, he could have sent it to a lab

2) he has all these questions about what it does to a cell
if he was really interested ( instead of just making up questions and implying that just because no one answered it, this product is questionable)

if he was really devoted to finding out,
he could have taken some zeolite
then taken some of his blood

put it under a microscope
and see what happens
that would have answered SOME of his questions (though probably not all)

the feeling i am getting is that this guy just
spins stuff out there
without doing any research to find out the answers

i could ask questions about any plethora of subjects
any veggie or fruit
i could have asked the same questions

and just because a magic genie didn't automatically appear at my side and answered these questions

doesn't make each veggie and fruit a "suspect"

that being said though,

i do feel that research is always good and necessary

i just feel that the way he went about trying to put a slant against zeolite was questionable

i would have been more impressed if he had at least taken it to a lab and seen if it did contain any mercury or lead

before trying to insinuate that just cuz some rocks have mercury and lead, ALL rocks that are pulverized must have it

that is a false syllogism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 05, 2007 05:55PM

i wrote to zeolite with the same questions he posted this is the email i sent

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:31:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: zeolite questions
To: Info@DrZeoLiteDetox.com

I read these questions on a website (http://www.cqs.com/zeolite.htm) that is saying that zeolite might not be safe or untested? can you please answer these questions? I have read over your website and indeed cant find the answers to these questions. I think they are legitimate enough to ask as I am considering buying into this product but would like to know more about it. I am a Massage therapy student (3rd year) and looking for products for myself and to resell.

Thank you very much,

Jodi

Where do the Minerals come from and how are they processed?
Have tests done that show they are mercury and lead free?
What does NCD do inside the cell and inter-cellular spaces?
What reactions does it mediate or interfere with?
Does it stay inside the cell and become part of it?
Does it leave the cell and intercellular spaces? Is it excreted?
Since it is a reactive mineral, how does it react with each of the thousands of cellular bio-chemicals, hormones, neurotransmitters, and essential fatty acids? (Some of these bio-chemicals are not even known.)
How does it get into the cell? Does it enter through a protein channel, or does it break a hole in the cell membrane?
What does it do to developing cells or tissue?
If it can enter cells from the bloodstream, then it can likely enter into the cerebrospinal fluid. If so, what does it do to the neural membrane or to developing brain cells?
Does it affect the operation of the cell organelles (components of the human cell), and, if so, how?
Does it enter into or affect the nuclear envelope (that is, does it affect DNA and RNA)?
Does it enter or affect the mitochondria, our energy subsystem?
Is the immune system aware of the presence of the particles? Does it go into overdrive, eventually leading to allergy, MCS, or auto-immune disease?

I didnt receive and email back from them so 10 days later i tried again

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:02:19 -0700 (PDT), jodi leduc wrote:

hi i sent you this email about 10 days ago ... no reply .. is anyone
available to answer these questions to me? thanks again smiling smiley jodi

this is the email i got back (i guess they decided to respond hehe)

To: nwjodi@yahoo.com
From: info@drzeolitedetox.com Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Re: Fwd: zeolite questions
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:11:09 -0400 (EDT)

Here you go..see attachment
patented process produces pure clinoptilite withour toxins...reason why
it is so effective in the
body...tunnels and cages are empty..

also check out www.zeopatent.info

NCD has GRAS status by the FDA..has been used for the past one and
one-half years..powdered form of
clinoptilite has been around since the turn of the century and has been
used in animal feed and air
and water purification for somce time..

Mike
waiora emerald
ID # 131770
701-494-0020

i will post the attatchment in the next thread message hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 05, 2007 06:05PM

sorry i know this is gonna be hard to read its cut and pasted from the PDF attatchment and my computer doesnt seem to like PDF or Acrobat lol

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH MONOGRAPH
b y R i k J . D e i t s c h
Natural Cellular Defense
Natural Cellular Defense
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH MONOGRAPH
b y R i k J . D e i t s c h
(where M1 is silicon, M2 is magnesium, M3 is aluminum)
4,5 di-cyclo, disilico, dimagnesium, dialumino, oxyo, trihydrate
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rik J Deitsch
Rik J Deitsch is the Chief Executive Officer of Nutra Pharma Corporation - a publicly traded
Biotechnology holding company and incubator dedicated to researching neurological
disorders and viral diseases. Mr. Deitsch served as the President of NDA Consulting Inc., a
biotechnology research group that provided consulting services to the pharmaceutical
industry. Rik J. Deitsch also serves as the Chairman of the Waiora Scientific Advisory Board.
In this role, he is responsible for overseeing the direction and development of Waiora’s
products as they relate to the company’s overall product strategy. Leading a team of
knowledgeable, well-respected and highly credentialed physicians and healthcare
professionals, the Board recommends formulations and ingredients to create efficacious
products for Waiora.
Research conducted by Rik J Deitsch provided some of the beginning fundamentals for the
development of some powerful new drugs. Mr. Deitsch has several papers and posters on
rational drug design using computer simulations. He teaches several courses for Florida
Atlantic University's Continuing Education Department and College of Business. Mr. Deitsch
also teaches physician CME courses internationally, lecturing on lifestyle choices in the
prevention and treatment of chronic disease states. He is also the co-author of Are You Age-
Wise, a book that reviews current research in healthy aging as it relates to lifestyle choices
and supplementation (www.areyouagewise.com).
Copyright © 2005
All rights reserved.
No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without
permission from the author.
About this Publication
The information presented in this monograph is intended for professional education and is
obtained from published research, articles, and books. This monograph is not intended to
replace the care of a licensed health professional in the diagnosis and treatment of illness.
Natural Cellular Defense
Scientific Research Monograph
Key Points
Natural Cellular Defense is derived from a naturally-occurring mineral
zeolite. Zeolites are considered 100 percent safe and non-toxic by the FDA.
Natural Cellular Defense and its constituent zeolite have been shown to have
the following functions:
o Retains the natural zeolite property of reducing cancer risk
o Acts as a potent anti-oxidant
o May aid in balancing bodily pH levels
o Acts to chelate and remove heavy metals from the system
o Reduces the incidence of diarrhea
o Improves nutrient absorption in the digestive tract
o Acts to balance digestive pH, thus reducing acid reflux
o Acts to stabilize immune system function (immunomodulatory)
o Acts as a broad spectrum anti-viral agent
Natural Cellular Defense
1. Introduction
Zeolites are hydrated natural and synthetic microporous crystals with well-defined structures
containing AlO4 and SiO4 tetrahedra linked through the common oxygen atoms. Most
common natural zeolites are formed by alteration of glass-rich volcanic rocks (tuff) with fresh
water in playa lakes or by seawater. The structures of zeolites consist of three-dimensional
frameworks of SiO4 and AlO4 tetrahedra. The aluminum ion is small enough to occupy the
position in the center of the tetrahedron of four oxygen atoms, and the isomorphous
replacement of Si4+ by Al3+ produces a negative charge in the lattice. The net negative
charge is balanced by the exchangeable cation (sodium, potassium, or calcium). Zeolites
have been extensively used in various industrial applications based on their properties to act
as catalysts, ion exchangers, adsorbents, and detergent builders. It is also known that silicates
and aluminosilicates possess biological activity, either positive or negative. Talc and silica
have been used in skin care for many decades, while well defined structures and catalytic
activity make aluminosilicates an attractive model system for protein and enzyme mimetics.
Recent results have also demonstrated that natural, biologically nontoxic zeolites are very
effective as glucose adsorbents, and this has been suggested as a potential medication for
individuals suffering from diabetes mellitus.
Natural zeolites are crystalline, hydrated alluminosilicates of alkali and alkaline earth cations,
having three-dimensional structures. They are characterized by the ability to lose and gain
water reversibly and to exchange constituent cations (positively-charged particles) without
major change of structure. The basis of interest in the biological effects of zeolites concerns
one or more of their physical and chemical properties, such as ion exchange capacity,
adsorption and related molecular sieve properties.
For the purpose of this Review, only the properties of zeolites that address its effects as a
supplement will be investigated. Although the mechanism of action of many of these claims is
not well understood, the complex structure of the zeolite in question may provide clues to this
mechanism. The zeolite acts as a ‘cage’ and allows the molecule to trap a variety of ions and
compounds. By trapping charged particles, the zeolite can: act as an antioxidant, balance pH
levels, lower incidence of heavy metal damage, improve nutrient absorption and reduce
gastric reflux. The cage may also trap potential carcinogens, thereby reducing the risk of
developing cancer. The anti-viral activity of zeolites may be founded in the molecule’s ability
to trap viral particles during assembly, thereby preventing viral assembly and proliferation.
This paper will endeavor to categorize the major claims made by Natural Cellular Defense.
Natural Cellular Defense
2. Description
Natural Cellular Defense is identified generically as 4,5 di-cyclo, disilico, dimagnesium,
dialumino, oxyo, trihydrate (3Mg2+ 3Al2 O3 3SiO2 3H2O), which is a magnesium
aluminosilicate. It is in the acetate, sulfate, chloride, or brominate form. Natural Cellular
Defense is a slightly white, odorless, tasteless liquid. The zeolite particles are negatively
charged in the entire pH range (pH 1–11). Electron microscopy shows an absence of fibers,
and most particles are round with a very rough surface. The absence of fibrous, positively
charged particles is encouraging since such particles are present in asbestos and erionite
zeolites, which are highly carcinogenic and mutagenic. In addition, activated zeolite particles
do not catalyze the production of hydroxyl radicals, unlike asbestos or erionite. It seems that
absence of fibrous particles capable of producing hydroxyl radicals makes this zeolite sample
nontoxic and noncarcinogenic, at least when applied orally.
(where M1 is silicon, M2 is magnesium, M3 is aluminum)
4,5 di-cyclo, disilico, dimagnesium, dialumino, oxyo, trihydrate
Natural Cellular Defense
3. Reducing Cancer Risk Factors
The development of modern industry has caused increasingly serious pollution in the
environment constituting a catastrophic health risk - including cancer. Cancer prevention is
thus one of the challenges facing scientists in the 21st century and removal of carcinogens
from the environment is an important step. Nitrosamines are probably the most widespread
carcinogens, existing in the workplace, processed meats, cigarette smoke and beer. They are
even produced in the stomach by the reaction of secondary amines and nitrite (NO2
-) both
taken from foods. A 1976 report of German scientists showed that the uptake of nitrosamines
for a person was as much as 700ng daily. The occurrence of gastric cancer was related to
the nitrosamines in the stomach. Many carcinogenic agents like nitrosamines or their
precursors enter the human stomach through diet and drinking. No matter how carefully food
is prepared; there is a level of nitrosamine content. Environmental pollution makes this
hidden trouble more serious, because of the contaminated food and polluted atmosphere.
However, although nitrosamines are well-known carcinogenic substances, they require
metabolic activation before reaction with DNA to cause mutation and cancer. Therefore, it is
Mechanisms of action of potential anti-cancer supplements
Natural Cellular Defense
possible and necessary to trap the nitrosamines in the digestive tract provided a selective
adsorbent material is employed. To seek this functional material, zeolites are considered as
the best candidates. Zeolites and molecular sieves have been employed in slow release
drugs, enzyme mimetic drugs, anti-tumor drugs and additives in cigarettes to remove
carcinogenic agents like nitrosamines.
Numerous natural compounds are commonly used for the treatment of various diseases,
including green tea and soybean extracts. Recent findings indicate that dietetic products and
antioxidant compounds also have a beneficial effect particularly in cancer patients. In many
cases the exact mechanism of their action is not fully understood. In the published literature
the effect of natural zeolite particles on development of several cancer models in-vivo and invitro
was studied. It has been found that zeolites may act as anticancer therapeutic agents in
in-vivo animal studies and in tissue culture cell models. The constituent natural zeolite from
Natural Cellular Defense applied orally in mice and dogs suffering from a variety of tumor
types led to a significant shrinkage of some tumors and improvement in overall health status
in some animals. The range of effects was diverse, ranging from negative antitumor response,
to normalization of biochemical parameters, prolongation of life span, and decrease in tumor
size. The best results in animal models were observed in the treatment of skin cancer in dogs,
suggesting that adsorption of some active components is responsible for zeolite activity (direct
contact action). Complementary studies performed in tissue culture indicated that zeolite
treatment affects proliferation and survival of several cancer cell lines. Addition of zeolite
inhibited cell proliferation in a concentration-dependent manner, in part due to induction of
inhibitors of cycline dependent kinases and induction of programmed cell death. The data
indicates that zeolite treatment might affect cancer growth by attenuating survival signals and
inducing tumor suppressor genes in treated cells. In addition, toxicology studies on mice and
rats demonstrated that the treatment does not have negative effects.
Finely ground natural zeolite powder has also been shown to induce activation of p21WAF1/CIP1.
As a universal inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinases and one of the target genes of the tumor
suppresser p53, p21WAF1/CIP1 can act as a tumor suppresser through its ability to control cell
cycle progression. Activation of p21WAF1/CIP1 may halt the growth of tumors by directly
suppressing growth signals. However, tissue culture experiments demonstrated that activated
zeolite particles inhibit protein kinase B/akt, another kinase involved in antiapoptotic
processes and cancer promotion. This happens only when growth of cells in tissue cultures is
stimulated by the addition of growth factors. Zeolite particles might adsorb growth factors or
prevent interaction of protein kinase B with membranes, where it is phosphorylated by
phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. It has recently been shown that inactivation of protein kinase B
by, for example, the novel tumor suppressor molecule PTEN also results in induction of the
tumor suppressor-CDK inhibitor p27KIP1.
Natural Cellular Defense
There also seems to be a relationship between p21WAF1/CIP1 and another protein kinase
involved in cell "decisions" about proliferation, arrest or apoptosis, namely c-Jun N-terminal
kinase (JNK) 1. JNK-1 is a member of the recently discovered stress-activated protein kinases.
Interestingly, while in reaction to stress such kinase activation results in apoptosis, its
activation in some cancer cells actually promotes uncontrolled proliferation. This is
particularly obvious in the human lung adenocarcinoma cell line A549. Research has shown
that p21WAF1/CIP1 inhibits JNK-1, and recent work indicates that those two molecules form a
tight complex. Inactivation of JNK-1 may be part of the reason why antioxidants enhance
cytotoxicity of chemotherapeutic agents towards cancer cells, while, on the other hand, they
protect neurons from apoptosis caused by free radical damage.
Natural Cellular Defense
4. Potent Antioxidant
Oxygen is actually a toxic byproduct of the metabolism of lower cell organisms, and the body
uses it to produce energy. Oxygen free radicals are created through a biochemical process at
the cellular level. Oxygen and glucose are used to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP)
through oxidative phosphorylation.
Oxidative phosphorylation is a process during which electrons not bound to an oxygen
molecule move from one such molecule to another seeking to bind to other unpaired
electrons. These oxygen molecules that contain unpaired electrons are called oxygen free
radicals.
One percent to three percent of the oxygen we breathe creates oxygen free radicals, as do
natural aging and chronic disease. In small amounts, some oxygen free radicals help to clean
cells by taking part in phagocytosis, a function of a normal immune system, but as production
of these radicals increases, they begin to attack and destroy cells. As their levels increase,
oxygen free radicals attack and oxidize DNA, genetic molecular material that controls cell
growth and development. Oxidation of DNA may lead to the adverse effects of aging, such
as wrinkled skin, organ dysfunction, and cancer. As oxygen free radicals travel through the
O2• –
O2 H2O2 • OH H2O
4 e– reduction to water
e– e– e– e–
Natural Cellular Defense
blood, they set the stage for heart, blood vessel, cerebrovascular, and skeletal muscle disease
by making it more difficult for cells to repair themselves.
Free radicals can damage the intima in blood vessels, causing inflammation and thereby
leading to increased plaque formation, which can contribute to stroke and cardiac disease.
Oxygen free radicals also free iron, which is usually tightly bound to protein molecules.
Excessive levels of free iron are associated with Alzheimer disease, dementia, and Parkinson
disease. In addition, oxygen free radicals cause an increase in neuronal loss by changing
DNA structure. When a significant number of neurons are degraded, the central nervous
system can no longer maintain homeostasis, and physiologic functions such as receptormediated
signal transmission necessary to memory may become defective or be lost.
The cage structure of Natural Cellular Defense may help to trap free radicals, thereby
inactivating them and preventing further damage to the surrounding tissue. This is completely
unlike the action of the classic antioxidants. Compounds that have antioxidant properties
include the vitamins A, C and E as well as the mineral selenium. There are also a host of
other antioxidant compounds, including: flavanoids, catechins and specific enzymes. All of
these antioxidants function by acting either as an electron donor or electron acceptor. This
action stabilizes the free radical and halts the free radical cascade which would normally lead
to further damage of the system and an eventual catastrophe (heart attack, stroke, cancer,
etc..). All of these classic antioxidants have the ability to exist with one extra electron or one
less electron without becoming a free radical in turn. Natural Cellular Defense may support
Natural Cellular Defense
the action of these antioxidants through an entirely different mechanism. By literally trapping
highly reactive free radicals, these dangerous compounds are inactivated and are easily
eliminated from the system.
Natural Cellular Defense
5. Systemic pH levels
The body has a wide array of mechanisms to maintain homeostasis in the blood and
extracellular fluid. The most important way that the pH of the blood is kept relatively constant
is by buffers dissolved in the blood. Other organs help enhance the homeostatic function of
the buffers. The kidneys help remove excess chemicals from the blood. It is the kidneys that
ultimately remove (from the body) H+ ions and other components of the pH buffers that build
up in excess. Acidosis that results from failure of the kidneys to perform this excretory function
is known as metabolic acidosis. However, excretion by the kidneys is a relatively slow process,
and may take too long to prevent acute acidosis resulting from a sudden decrease in pH
(e.g., during exercise). The lungs provide a faster way to help control the pH of the blood.
The increased-breathing response to exercise helps to counteract the pH-lowering effects of
exercise by removing CO2, a component of the principal pH buffer in the blood. Acidosis that
results from failure of the lungs to eliminate CO2 as fast as it is produced is known as
respiratory acidosis.
The kidneys and the lungs work together to help maintain a blood pH of 7.4 by affecting the
components of the buffers in the blood. Therefore, to understand how these organs help
control the pH of the blood, we must first discuss how buffers work in solution.
Acid-base buffers confer resistance to a change in the pH of a solution when hydrogen ions
(protons) or hydroxide ions are added or removed. An acid-base buffer typically consists of a
weak acid, and its conjugate base (salt). Buffers work because the concentrations of the weak
acid and its salt are large compared to the amount of protons or hydroxide ions added or
removed. When protons are added to the solution from an external source, some of the base
component of the buffer is converted to the weak-acid component (thus using up most of the
protons added); when hydroxide ions are added to the solution (or, equivalently, protons are
removed from the solution), protons are dissociated from some of the weak-acid molecules of
the buffer, converting them to the base of the buffer (and thus replenishing most of the
protons removed). However, the change in acid and base concentrations is small relative to
the amounts of these species present in solution. Hence, the ratio of acid to base changes
only slightly. Thus, the effect on the pH of the solution is small, within certain limitations on
the amount of H+ or OH- added or removed.
By far the most important buffer for maintaining acid-base balance in the blood is the
carbonic-acid-bicarbonate buffer. The simultaneous equilibrium reactions of interest are:
To more clearly show
the two equilibrium reactions in the carbonic-acid-bicarbonate buffer, the equation is
rewritten to show the direct involvement of water:
Natural Cellular Defense
The equilibrium on the left is an acid-base reaction. Carbonic acid (H2CO3) is the acid and
water is the base. The conjugate base for H2CO3 is HCO3
- (bicarbonate ion). Carbonic acid
also dissociates rapidly to produce water and carbon dioxide, as shown in the equilibrium on
the right. This second process is not an acid-base reaction, but it is important to the blood's
buffering capacity. Note that as acid is added, the pH decreases and the buffer shifts toward
greater H2CO3 and CO2 concentration. Conversely, as base is added, the pH increases and
the buffer shifts toward greater HCO3
- concentration.
Other buffers perform a more minor role than the carbonic-acid-bicarbonate buffer in
regulating the pH of the blood. The phosphate buffer consists of phosphoric acid (H3PO4) in
equilibrium with dihydrogen phosphate ion (H2PO4
-) and H+. The phosphate buffer only plays
a minor role in the blood, however, because H3PO4 and H2PO4
- are found in very low
concentration in the blood. Hemoglobin also acts as a pH buffer in the blood. The
hemoglobin protein can reversibly bind either H+ (to the protein) or O2 (to the Fe of the heme
group). When one of these substances is bound, the other is released. During exercise,
hemoglobin helps to control the pH of the blood by binding some of the excess protons that
are generated in the muscles. At the same time, molecular oxygen is released for use by the
muscles.
Being amphoteric, zeolites are partly soluble in acid or alkaline media, but within the
physiological pH range the solubility is generally low. Minimal amounts of free aluminium or
silicium from the ingested zeolites are resorbed from the gut. In view of the ion exchange
properties, zeolites may be expected to change the ionic content, pH and buffering capacity
of their surroundings. The zeolite cage system may exchange for varying excess ions found in
the zeolite’s immediate environment. This would have the overall effect of buffering the
surrounding system and regulating pH to near-physiological levels.
Natural Cellular Defense
6. Heavy Metals and Chelation
Many toxic heavy metals have been discharged into the environment as industrial wastes,
causing serious soil and water pollution. Lead (Pb+2), Copper (Cu+2), Iron (Fe+3) and
Chromium (Cr+3) are especially common metals that tend to accumulate in organisms,
causing numerous diseases and disorders. They are also common groundwater contaminants
at industrial and military installations. The main threats to human health from heavy metals
are associated with exposure to lead, cadmium, mercury and arsenic. These metals have
been extensively studied and their effects on human health regularly reviewed by international
bodies such as the WHO. Heavy metals have been used by humans for thousands of years.
Although several adverse health effects of heavy metals have been known for a long time,
exposure to heavy metals continues, and is even increasing in some parts of the world, in
particular in less developed countries, though emissions have declined in most developed
countries over the last 100 years. Cadmium compounds are currently mainly used in rechargeable
nickel-cadmium batteries. Cadmium emissions have increased dramatically
during the 20th century, one reason being that cadmium-containing products are rarely recycled,
but often dumped together with household waste. Cigarette smoking is a major
source of cadmium exposure. In non-smokers, food is the most important source of cadmium
exposure. Recent data indicate that adverse health effects of cadmium exposure may occur at
lower exposure levels than previously anticipated, primarily in the form of kidney damage but
possibly also bone effects and fractures. Measures should be taken to reduce cadmium
exposure in the general population in order to minimize the risk of adverse health effects. The
general population is exposed to lead from air and food in roughly equal proportions. During
the last century, lead emissions to ambient air have caused considerable pollution, mainly
due to lead emissions from petroleum. Children are particularly susceptible to lead exposure
due to high gastrointestinal uptake and the permeable blood-brain barrier. Blood levels in
children should be reduced below the levels so far considered acceptable, recent data
indicating that there may be neurotoxic effects of lead at lower levels of exposure than
previously anticipated. Although lead in petroleum has dramatically decreased over the last
decades, thereby reducing environmental exposure, phasing out any remaining uses of lead
additives in motor fuels should be encouraged. The use of lead-based paints should be
abandoned, and lead should not be used in food containers. In particular, the public should
be aware of glazed food containers, which may leach lead into food. Numerous processes
exist for removing dissolved heavy metals, including ion exchange, precipitation,
phytoextraction, ultrafiltration, reverse osmosis, and electrodialysis. The use of alternative lowcost
materials as potential sorbents for the removal of heavy metals has been emphasized
recently.
The structures of zeolites consist of three-dimensional frameworks of SiO4 and AlO4
tetrahedra. The aluminum ion is small enough to occupy the position in the center of the
tetrahedron of four oxygen atoms, and the isomorphous replacement of Si4+ by Al3+ produces
a negative charge in the lattice. The net negative charge is balanced by the exchangeable
cation (sodium, potassium, or calcium). These cations are exchangeable with certain cations
in solutions such as lead, cadmium, zinc, and manganese. The fact that zeolite exchangeable
Natural Cellular Defense
ions are relatively innocuous (sodium, calcium, and potassium ions) makes them particularly
suitable for removing undesirable heavy metal ions from the environment and bodily systems.
One of the earliest applications of a natural zeolite was in removal and purification of cesium
and strontium radioisotopes.
Studies have shown that the constituent zeolite in Natural Cellular Defense has a high affinity
for trapping lead, cadmium and other potentially harmful heavy metals. Through the process
of cation exchange, Natural Cellular Defense may lower overall heavy metal exposure in
individuals. This would have a dramatic effect in the risk reduction of certain cancers and
heart disease – the two leading causes of death in the United States.
Natural Cellular Defense
7. Digestive disorders
Natural silicate materials have been shown to exhibit diverse biological activities and have
been used successfully as a vaccine adjuvant and for the treatment of diarrhea.
The potential growth promoting action of natural zeolites has been attributed to their high
affinity for ammonium ions, resulting to the reduction in the uptake of ammonia produced
from deamination of proteins during the digestive processes via the intestinal wall. Ammonia
is recognized as a cell toxicant in higher animals and the reduction of the amount which the
intestinal epithelial cells are exposed to, could lead to a reduction of epithelial turnover, a
sparing of energy and a better nutrient utilization. In other words, the ability of Natural
Cellular Defense to trap ammonium ions allows for a less toxic digestive tract and better
overall nutrient uptake from food and supplements.
The best known positive biological activity of natural zeolite is its action as an anti-diarrheal
drug. Zeolites lower the incidence of death and sickness (diarrheal syndrome) produced by
intestinal diseases in swine, rats, and calves. Based on these results a comprehensive study
was carried out on anti-diarrheal drugs based on natural zeolite as an active material, in the
therapy of acute diarrheal diseases in humans. The research led to approval of the antidiarrheal
drug Enterex for use in humans
Peroral use of encapsulated zeolite powders enriched with vitamins, oligoelements or other
ingredients has been claimed to exert beneficial medical effects. Ingestion of zeolites may be
considered analogous to the clay eating (geophagia), considered in traditional medicine as a
remedy for various illnesses. The bulk of ingested zeolite probably remains undissolved in the
gut. In view of the ion exchange properties, zeolites may be expected to change the ionic
content, pH and buffering capacity of the gastrointestinal secretions and to affect the
transport through the intestinal epithelium. In addition, zeolites could affect the bacterial flora
and the resorption of bacterial products, vitamins and oligoelements. The contact of zeolite
particles with gastrointestinal mucosa may elicit the secretion of cytokines with local and
systemic actions. This creates a healthier digestive tract with beneficial microflora and
microfauna.
Natural Cellular Defense
8. Immune system modulation
Accumulating evidence has indicated that zeolites play an important role in regulating the
immune system. Several studies have reported that silica, silicates, and aluminosilicates act as
nonspecific immunostimulators similarly to superantigens. Superantigens are a class of
immunostimulatory and disease-causing proteins of bacterial and viral origin with the ability
to activate relatively large fractions (5–20%) of the T cell population. Activation requires
simultaneous interaction of the superantigens with V-domain of T cell receptor and with major
histocompatibility complex class II molecules on the surface of antigen presenting cells.
Proinflammatory macrophages, which belong to class II MHC antigen-presenting cells, are
activated by fibrogenic silicate particulates. Indeed, experiments have shown that removal of
MHC class II DP/DR positive cells results in a lack of macrophage stimulation by asbestos.
Direct interaction of silicate particles with cells other than lymphocytes has also been
identified and described. It seems that mineral particles can trigger alterations in gene
expression by initiating signaling events upstream of gene transactivation. Exposure of cells to
silicate particles has been shown to lead to activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases
(MAPK), protein kinase C, and stress-activated protein kinases. Important transcription factors
such as activator protein 1 and nuclear factor B are also activated, and expression of
proinflammatory cytokines such as interleukin 1, interleukin 6, and tumor necrosis factor is
enhanced. Modifications in receptor activation kinetics or activity of integrins may be
responsible for the observed behavior
The aim of one study was to evaluate the antiviral properties of a natural non-toxic zeolite.
Herein, a fine powder of micronized zeolite (MZ) was obtained. Different viral suspensions
were treated with MZ in concentrations ranging from 0.5 to 50 mg/ml. The viral proliferation
was evaluated by optical microscope as percentage of cytopathic effect (CPE). Human
adenovirus 5, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV 1) and human enteroviruses (coxsackievirus
B5 and echovirus 7) were used in the antiviral assay. Concentrations of 0.5 and 5 mg/ml of
MZ induced a very low antiviral effect or the antiviral was not observed at all, while
concentrations of 12, 25 and 50 mg/ml of MZ induced a significant inhibitory effect upon
viral proliferation. MZ inhibited the viral proliferation of HSV 1, coxsackievirus B5 and
echovirus 7 more efficiently than adenovirus 5. The antiviral effect of MZ seems to be nonspecific
and is more likely based on the incorporation of viral particles into pores of MZ
aggregates than ion exchange properties of the zeolite. Preliminary results indicate a
possibility of therapeutic application of MZ, either locally (skin) against herpesvirus infections
or orally in cases of adenovirus or enterovirus infections.
The aim of a prospective, open, and controlled parallel-group study was to investigate the
effects of supplementation with another zeolite on the cellular immune system in patients
undergoing treatment for immunodeficiency disorder. A total of 61 patients were
administered daily zeolite doses for 6 to 8 weeks, during which the patients' primary medical
therapy was continued unchanged. Blood and lymphocyte counts were performed at baseline
and at the end of the study. Blood count parameters were not relevantly affected in either of
the two treatment groups. Zeolite administration resulted in significantly increased CD4+,
Natural Cellular Defense
CD19+, and HLA-DR+ lymphocyte counts and a significantly decreased CD56+ cell count.
No adverse reactions to the treatments were observed.
9. Safety and Tolerability
Food additives and supplements in the U.S.A. are approved by the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 21. Zeolites (CFR
Title 21 (182.2727)) and Sodium Magnesium or Aluminum Silicates under CFR Title 21
(182.2227) are listed as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe), and are permitted as food
additives (supplements) without FDA approval. Furthermore, all ingredients (zeolites) are
found on the TSCA listing of GRAS chemicals used in every day commerce in the United
States.
Natural Cellular Defense
10. Appendix 1 - References:
Aikoh T, Tomokuni A, Matsukii T, Hyodoh F, Ueki H, Otsuki T, Ueki A (1998) Activationinduced
cell death in human peripheral blood lymphocytes after stimulation with silicate in
vitro. Int J Oncol 12:1355–1359
Bedioui F (1995) Zeolite-encapsulated and clay-intercalated metal porphyrin, phthalocyanine
and Schiff-base complexes as models for biomimetic oxidation catalysts: an overview.
Coordination Chem Rev 144:39–68
Breck DW (1964) Crystalline molecular sieves. J Chem Educ 41:678–689
Cheshmedzhiev, B.V.,Angelov,A.,Nestorov,N., Bakalivanov, S., Cheshmedzhieva, R. (1985)
Effect of zeolite in the feeding of pregnant and nursing sows and sucking piglets. Zhivotnov
`'dni Nauki 22, 40-46 (abstract)
Chinery R, Brockman JA, Peeler MO, Shyr Y, Beauchamp RD, Coffey RJ (1997) Antioxidants
enhance the cytotoxicity of chemotherapeutic agents in colorectal cancer-a p53 independent
induction of p21WAF1/CIP1 via C/EBP&#946;. Nat Med 3: 1233–1241
C¡ olic´ M, Pavelic´ K (2000) Molecular mechanisms of anticancer activity of some natural
dietetic products. J Mol Med 78:333–336
Coffey, M. T & Pilkington, D. W. (1989) Effect of feeding Zeolite-A on the performance and
carcass quality of swine. Journal of Animal Science 67 (Supplement 2), 36 (abstract)
Colella C (1999) Natural zeolites in environmentally friendly processes and applications. Stud
Surface Sci Catalysis 125:641–655
Concepcion-Rosabal B, Rodriguez-Fuentes G, Simon-Carballo R (1997) Development and
featuring of the zeolitic active principle FZ: a glucose adsorbent. Zeolites 19:47–50
EUROPEAN AGENCY FOR THE EVALUATION OF MEDICINAL PRODUCTS (1998)
Guideline On Good Clinical Practices. EMEA/CVMP/595/98: London, UK
Flanigen EM (1980) Molecular sieve zeolite technology-the first twenty-five years. In: Rees
LVC (ed) Proceedings of the5th International Conference on Zeolites. Heyden, London, pp
760–780
Garces JM (1999) Observations on zeolite applications. In: Treacz MMJ, Marcus BK, Misher
ME, Higgins JB (eds) Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Zeolites. Materials
Research Society, Warrendale, pp 551–566
Natural Cellular Defense
Harvey, R. B., Kubena, L. F., Elissalde, M. H. & Phillips, T. D. (1993) Efficacy of zeolitic ore
compounds on the toxicity of aflatoxin to growing broiler chickens. Avian Diseases 37, 67-73
Lopez, R. G., Elias, A. & Menchaca, M. A. (1992) The utilization of zeolite by dairy cows. 2.
Effect on milk yield. Cuban Journal of Agriculture Science 26, 131-134
Ma, C. S., Tzeng, C. M., Lai, M. K. & Tsai, A. H. (1979) Effect of zeolite feeding of pregnant
pigs on the litter size at birth. K'o Hseuh Nung Yeh (Taipei) 27, 189-192
Ma, C. S., Yang, S. K., Tzeng, C. M. & Wu, H. K. (1984) Effect of feeding clinoptilolite on
embryo survival in swine. In: Zeo-Agriculture. Use of Natural Zeolites in Agriculture and
Aquaculture. Eds W. G., Pond & F. A., Mumpton. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press Inc.,
pp. 155-160
Martin LD, Krunkosky TM, Dye JA, Fischer BM, Jiang NF, Rochelle LG, Akley NJ, Dreher KL,
Adler KB (1997) The role of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species in the response of airway
epithelium to particulates. Environ Health Perspect 105 [Suppl 5]:1301–1307
Meier, M.W., Siegmann, K., 1999. Signi.cant reduction of carcinogenic compounds in
tobacco smoke by the use of zeolite catalysts. Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 33, 307–
Metaxas, M., Kasseloui-Rigopoulou, V., Galitsatou, P., Konstantopoulou, C., Oikonomou,
D., 2003. Thorium removal by different adsorbents. J. Hazard. Mater. B 97, 71–82.
Miazzo, R., Rosa, C. A., De Queiroz Carvalho, E. C., Magnoli, C., Chiacchiera, S. M.,
Palacio, G., Saenz, M., Kikot, A., Basaldella, E. & Dalcero, A. (2000) Efficacy of synthetic
zeolite to reduce the toxicity of aflatoxin in broiler chicks. Poultry Science 79, 1-6
Mirvish, S.S., 1983. The etiology of gastric cancer: introgastric nitrosamide formation and
other theories. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 71, 629–647.
Mitchell, P.C.H., 1991. Zeolite-encapsulated metal complexes: biomimetic catalysts. Chem.
Ind., 308–311.
Mumpton, F. A. (1984) Natural zeolites. In: Zeo-Agriculture. Use of Natural Zeolites in
Agriculture and Aquaculture. Eds W. G., Pond & F. A., Mumpton. Boulder, Colorado:
Westview Press Inc., pp. 33-44
Mumpton, F. A. & Fishman, P. H. (1977) The application of natural zeolites in animal science
and aquaculture. Journal of Animal Science 45, 1188-1203
Naber JE, De Jong KP, Stork WHJ, Kuipers HPCE, Post MFM (1994) Industrial application of
zeolite catalysis. Stud Surface Sci Catalysis 84C:2197–2220
Natural Cellular Defense
Namasivayam, C., Kadiverlu, K., 1997. Agricultural solid wastes for the removal of heavy
metals: adsorption of Cu(II) by coirpith carbon. Chemosphere 34, 377–399.
Olver, M. D. (1997) Effect of feeding clinoptilolite (zeolite) on the performance of three
strains of laying hens. British Poultry Science 38, 220-222
Pearson, G., Smith, W. C. & Fox, J. M. (1985) Influence of dietary zeolite on pig
performance over the liveweight range 25±87 kg. New Zealand Journal of Experimental
Agriculture 13, 151-154
Pond, W. G. & Yen, J. T. (1983) Reproduction and progeny growth in rats fed clinoptilolite in
the presence or absence of dietary cadmium. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination
Toxicology 31, 666-672
Pond, W. G., Yen, J. T. & Varel, V. H. (1988) Response of growing swine to dietary copper
and clinoptilolite supplementation. Nutrition Reports International 37, 797-803
Rabo, J.A., Angell, C.L., Kasai, P.H., Schomaker, V., 1966. Studies of cations in zeolites:
adsorption of carbon monoxide; formation of Ni ion and Na3þ 4 centers. Discuss. Faraday
Soc. 41, 328–349.
Ramos, A. J., Fink-Gremmels, J. & Hernandez, E. (1996a) Prevention of toxic effects of
mycotoxins by means of nonnutritive adsorbent compounds. Journal of Food Protection 59,
631-641
Ramos, A. J., Hernandez, E., Pla-Delfina, J. M. & Merino, M. (1996b) Intestinal adsorption of
zearalenone and in vitro study of nonnutritive sorbent materials. International Journal of
Pharmacology 128, 129-137
R.M. Barer, Zeolites and Clay Minerals as Sorbent and Molecular Sieves, Academic Press,
New York, 1987.
Rodriguez-Fuentes G, Barrios MA, Iraizoz A, Perdomo I, Cedre B (1997) Enterex – antidiarrheic
drug based on purified natural clinoptilolite. Zeolites 19:441–448
Roussel, J. D., Thibodeaux, J. K., Adkinson, R. W., Toups, G. M. & Goodeaux, L. L. (1992)
Effect of feeding various levels of sodium zeolite A on milk yield, milk composition and blood
profiles in thermally stressed Holstein cows. International Journal of Vitamin and Nutrition
Research 62, 91-98
Sersale R (1985) Natural zeolites: processing, present and possible applications. Stud Surface
Sci Catalysis 24:503–512
Shurson, G. C., Ku, P. K., Miller, E. R. & Yokohama, M. T. (1984) Effects of zeolite A or
clinoptilolite in diets of growing swine. Journal of Animal Science 59, 1536-1545
Natural Cellular Defense
Smith, T. K. (1980) Effect of dietary protein, alfalfa, and zeolite on excretory patterns of 50,5
0,7 0,7 0-[3H] zearalenone in rats. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 58,
1251-1255
Ueki A, Yamaguchi M, Ueki H, Watanabe Y, Ohsawa G, Kinugawa K, Kawakami Y, Hyodoh
F (1994) Polyclonal human T-cell activation by silicate in vitro. Immunology 82: 332–335
Wang, Y., Zhu, J.H., Yan, D., Huang, W.Y., Ma, L.L., 2001. Adsorption of N-nitrosamines by
zeolites in solutions. Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 135, 226.
Weiner, H.C., 1997. Oral tolerance: immune mechanisms and treatment of autoimmune
diseases. Immunol. Today 18, 335–343.
Xu, Y., Wang, Y., Zhu, J.H., Ma, L.L., Liu, L., 2002. Progress in the application of zeolite in
the life science: novel additive for cigarette to remove N-nitrosamines in smoke. Stud. Surf.
Sci. Catal. 142, 1489–1496.
Xu, Y., Yun, Z.-Y., Zhu, J.H., Xu, J.-H., Liu, H.-D., Wei, Y.-L., Hui, K.-J., 2003a. Trapping
volatile nitrosamines with the copper incorporated zeolites. Chem. Commun., 1894–1895.
Xu, Y., Zhu, J.H., Ma, L.L., Ji, A., Wei, Y.L., Shang, X.Y., 2003b. Removing nitrosamines from
main-stream smoke of cigarette by zeolite. Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 60, 125–137.
Yannakopoulos, A., Tserveni-Gousi, A., Kassolifournaraki, A., Tsirambides, A., Michailidis,
K., Filippidis, A., Lutat, U. (2000) Effects of dietary clinoptilolite-rich tuff on the performance
of growing-finishing pigs. In: Natural Zeolites for the Third Millenium. Eds C., Coela & F.A.,
Mumpton. Napoli, Italy: De Frede Editore, pp. 471-481
Zhu, J.H., Yan, D., Xia, J.R., Ma, L.L., Shen, B., 2001. Attempt to adsorb N-nitrosamines in
solution by use of zeolites. Chemosphere 44, 949–956.
Natural Cellular Defense
11. Appendix 2 - Patent

Date: May 05, 2007 06:07PM

what i really wanted was them to just answer the questions in laymans terms ... lol

i may try again in the future or i may just say screw it, go climb an apple tree an not worry about it winking smiley

i dont take zeolite so i really dont have much of an opinion on it one way or another smiling smiley this was just information to pass on

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 07, 2007 01:31AM

Thank you for this information. Very interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 01:38AM by KidRaw.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:33AM

hey jodi

that's cool u were so persistent in trying to get an answer
i respect that

there is a lot to dissect
and scrutinize

ain't life grand? and crazy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 01, 2008 10:35AM

Please read US Patent Number 6,288,045

This patent describes the zeolite product.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 02, 2008 04:39AM

greenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kwan:
>
> The guy in your link is selling his own health
> services, including tons of supplements. Not
> exactly an impartial source!

Yeah, that's always the FIRST thing to look for before even bothering to read a website listing all the negatives of a product. Whether or not they're selling one of their own!

I was asking about Zeolite a while ago because I was seeing it pop up online on raw food stores. I think I've only gotten one positive review from one lady who swears it's helped keep her cancer away but she didn't seem to know if it helped her get "alkaline". All the other responses were people just repeating what they read, doesn't seem to be much for actual experiences out there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables