Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

EXERCISE QUESTION!!!
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 27, 2007 04:06PM

does anybody kno how many miles, going high speed on a bike,not uphill, is around the equivalent of walking 6 miles,, is there a website or nething where i can do conversions,, i used 2 walk 5 miles a day,, but i dont like it bc it hurts my leg, i think its sortof out of joint bc i used 2 do gymnastics, i want 2 start cycling but i still want the same amount of burn i got when i was walking
thanks to anybody who can answer this question i kno its sortof stupid and out there lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EXERCISE QUESTION!!!
Posted by: love ()
Date: April 27, 2007 08:07PM

Hi fuzzysox!

I think riding a bike would be way more of an exercise then walking! I don't know how to convert it like that. You could just try riding the bike, and see when you "feel the burn". You can always make the gears higher or lower, and go faster or slower so that makes a difference too. You can also do intervals, which are a great thing to mix it up with! Intervals are peddaling fast and taking small slow peddaling breaks.

Have fun!

Love to all!

love

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 27, 2007 09:00PM

from fitday (im not sure how accurate it is and i dont know how fast you walk/permile or bike/permile) but it gives you an idea

Walking, 2 mph, level, slow pace, firm surface = calories burned= 94
Walking, 2.5 mph, firm surface= calories burned=126
Walking, 3.0 mph, level, moderate pace, firm surface= calories burned=157
Walking, 3.5 mph, level, brisk, firm surface, very brisk pace= calories burned=189
Walking, 4.0 mph, level, firm surface, very brisk pace= calories burned=189
Walking, 4.5 mph, level, firm surface, very very brisk pace= calories burned=220

Bicycling, 10-11.9 mph, leisure, slow, light effort= calories burned=315
Bicycling, 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort= calories burned=441
Bicycling, 14-15.9 mph, racing or leisure, fast vigorous effort= calories burned=566
Bicycling, 16-19 mph, racing/, very fast, racing general= calories burned=692

the column on far right shows calories burned in a one hour period of each exercise

i think bryan has a better program then fitday for nutrition/exercise maybe ask him

or Elnatural_1 as he is a bikerider

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 09:02PM by Jgunn.

Date: April 27, 2007 10:02PM

hmm ok to clarify the above a bit

sayyy youre cycling vigorously at 14-15.9mph in a one hour period you burn 566 calories

to get the equivelant in Walking at 3.0 mph, level, moderate pace, firm surface @ 157 calories per hour

you would have to walk 3.6 hours to get the same amount of calorie burn walking as you do biking (roughly based on the above figures)

or to reverse it to answer your question lol... you would have to ride 16.6 minutes to burn 157 calories the same as walking for an hour

smiling smiley

i much prefer to use my bike then to walk for the same reasons .. my ankles hate it (both ankles have been sprained and one broken over the years) and knees dont like walking/jogging

the only issue i have with cycling is the seats have been uncomfy .. i have tried at least a half dozen seats and still ha ve the same problems with chafing/rubbing when going all out even with different shortswear. this is my sole reason for looking into recumbents .. the comfort factor which ive been meaing to post a question about as well

... Elnatural_1 seems to know about these as well .. but he doesnt seem to like answering my questions so .. *shrugs* who knows winking smiley

hope this all makes sense to you smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 10:04PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 28, 2007 12:33AM

love ur right!! :p

thankyou soo much jgunn!! this helps sooo much!! i understood it the first time, but thankyou for explaining it!! really im serious, im not trying 2 be a jerk! lol
im deffinately gunna start biking now,,i wasnt going 2 bc i thought it wouldnt b as good as walking,,now i kno! im exactly like you with the ankle and knee problems,, i did gymnastics for 5 years,, im pretty sure i sprained my ankles more than there are finger on my hand! and all my bones crack and creek now, which im hoping raw will heal, i hope ( cross my fingers)

thankyou !!! grinning smiley i really appreciate it :]]

Date: April 28, 2007 12:43AM

my sweet honeypie sugarbunns hubby was a gymnast too .. at pushin 40 hes feeling it now hehe

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 28, 2007 10:33AM

hey there.....when walking and biking are converted...walking burns more calories then biking.....but is easier on your knees and ankles...this is what my best friend said who is a personal trainer...so i dont know haha...i think it depends all on how fast you bike at what gage..how hard....and how fast you walk...so i don't know it is all a lot of confusion...but i think you just getting out there and exercising again is better then sitting on the chair right smiling smiley...so way to go you!!!! keep up the good work!!! you are doing great..a.nd adding exercise back into the daily regimen is excellent no matter what you are doing!!!!!

take care hun

love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 28, 2007 01:38PM

yea thats why im not so sure how accurate fitday is smiling smiley it doesnt take into account your own body weight as resistence either

a 100lb person and a 300lb person walking together same pace same time same distance , im sure the 300lb person will burn more calories because of the weight resistance ...

i think?

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 29, 2007 12:09PM

hey jgunn...def the 300 pound person will burn a lot more calories...hmm i don't know i was hoping fitday took into account your weight but then again who knows haha...i wonder if you enter in different weights if you get differen kcals burned for same activity time and length you know??? hmm good question....

soo all i know is that no matter what any movement is better then none haha and that is what you should go by at first...getting out there and doing something and feeling good about you is important fuzzy..don't stress too much about doing what you used to do...this is a new you and a new life and new journey go with that and go with something new for exercise too smiling smiley
take care and good luck hun
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables