Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

PLEASE post your other languages!
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 17, 2007 01:02AM

I notice lots of posters here speak english as a second language and sometimes wonder what their first languages are.

My first language is English but I speak French and am learning Portuguese. Language is such a great way to connect to a different culture, and I wish I could speak lots of them.

I would love to know what other languages are lurking here. Please post them!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PLEASE post your other languages!
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:50PM

i live in ireland but i was born in bulgaria. do you know where that is? i went to portugal in 2004 and fell in love with it. good luck learning portugese.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 17, 2007 08:19PM

My first language is Korean. I lost most of it most I was adopted into the US. English is my next-to-native language. Other than that, I can get by in French, Spanish, and not so well in German.

Therese

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 17, 2007 09:27PM

my first language is english

my second language is TYPO (im very good at TYPO ..in fact id say im fluent in it ) =p

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 17, 2007 11:56PM

pihourova - how long did you live in Bulgaria and do you still speak it or spend time with ppl who do

life101 - how did you learn french, spanish and german - by travelling, I assume

Jgunn - I have a lot to learn about languages of the world. Pls teach us a little TYPO!

Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:32AM

I've been fluent in Typonese for almost 10 years now! LOL And fluent in Igpay Atinlay since the 6th grade, which was... erm, '92/'93 ? So about 14-15 years. LOL

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 18, 2007 10:17AM

yes i still speak it. i lived in bulgaria till march of this year. my husband is also bulgarian. so, yes, i know many people who speak it. i also lived in the usa when i was in university.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:29PM

Aqua,

I learned languages at University. I have not traveled to Europe. Therese

Posted by: NEW2raw! ()
Date: May 27, 2007 04:48AM

my first language is english but i speak french (horrible @ writting it)
and i also kinda speak german

Date: May 27, 2007 05:04PM

Where did you learn the french and german - I tried to learn german but - wow, its hard.

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: May 27, 2007 11:39PM

uga bugaa olla mugaa wugga sein heil boran ajaxund raino.

Date: May 28, 2007 03:41AM

aquadecoco
i have taken french for several years in school, but kinda study it a little on my own
and ive jsut started taking german this year in school, but i have also traveled to germany, theyre both such fun languages! if u want i can help u....maybe :-D

petals,
sprechen Sie Deutsch??? Sie haben <<sien>>...aber die reste ich weisse nicht wass ist es??? :-P (my germany spelling and grammar suck too! i swear i speak better than this!)

Date: May 28, 2007 04:43AM

NEW2raw - you must be Canadian, cuz we take french all throughout school!

Cool that you can speak german - I find it hard, tho lots of ppl say its so much like english, that it's easy - not for me. I think you said: "do you speak German. You have ....but the rest I don't know what is it." hmmmmmmm

So now try some (bad) Portuguese; Nao sei como falar muito Portugues, mas eu tento estudar todas dias. Eu falo com o Brasileiro no msn muitos vezes por semana para praticar. I don't know much about grammar so my sentences don't make much sense to a portuguese speaking person - I'm working on it.
Do you ever search things on french or german sites just to practice.........I do that.

Date: May 30, 2007 01:00AM

aquadecoco
parlez vous francais?? non desole je suis americain :-P mais mon surnom est benoît (FR CAN)
i have taken french since 7th grade and i love it but i really dont have anyone to talk to in other languages so i guess i talk to myself ahhahahaha wow i sound like a nut! but what i mean is i try to think to myself in other languages...if that makes sence, i hope to study in FR and GER and possibly live there.... im not gonna lie i put ur portuguese in an online translater to understand it and the computer made sence of it!!! i do sometimes go on sites to practice my fr & ger but i like speaking better oh yea and ....sprechen Sie Deutsch??? Sie haben <<sien>>...aber die reste ich weisse nicht wass ist es??? means do you speak german. you have <<sien>> (in your post) but the rest i dont know, what is it??
peace
alex

Date: May 30, 2007 02:05AM

You should really study in Europe if you want to: I did and loved it. You'll really enjoy having everyone speaking french (or german) to you, and it is sooo much easier to learn it when you're surrounded by it. If you stay long enough - at least a few months - you'll be fluent if you become part of the culture there.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 30, 2007 03:51AM

I speak Sharrhanese a lot of the time; thus people can't always understand what the heck I'm talking about.

No, seriously-- I studied a little Spanish, then French. I wasn't very good at either of them, because I'm almost deaf in the high frequencies (but I hear normally in the rest of the frequences) so I can't hear which consonants people are saying very well. I was really comical when I was learning French in high school-- totally confused-- until we went from listening to a recording and speaking to using a book, where at last I was able to see the spellings and understand the phonetics of the words.

Sharrhanese is a lot easier.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: June 28, 2007 05:03PM

My native language is french.
S'il y a des volontaires pour une petite causerie en français, je vous lirai avec plaisir!

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: June 28, 2007 11:47PM

J'etude francais pour trois ans. Mais je ne souvenir pas beaucoup.

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Date: June 29, 2007 02:24PM

Cynthia, Je n'ai plus l'habitude de parler en francais, et je suis trop paresseuse d'etudier ou de lire.

J'espere encore faire une excursion dans un pays francophone un jour, mais rien n'est prevu.

J'habite Vancouver, BC, ou il y a assez de francophones. Ou habitez-vous et d'ou venez-vous.

Amities, Jill

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: July 03, 2007 06:16AM

Yeah, there are some words up there that I sure as hell don't recognize!

I've lived in the Philippines, but hardly remember anything. I lived in Japan for several years. That was from 1988 to 1994. I remember quite a bit. Then in Thailand for seven years, from December 1999 to August 2006. I became pretty fluent in Thai. Left nearly a year ago. Already I notice some of those words slipping away. Now that I'm in Korea, and meeting more than a few people who speak Japanese, I've been having a bit of a revival with Japanese language. I agree that language is a fascinating thing. It's a great way to twist your intellect. You need to think in different ways. It takes patience when you want to talk but the sentence structure is BACKWARDS! There are so many hilarious comedies that occur when we fumble with a language.

I expect to return to the US next year for good. Don't know what I might do with any of these languages if anything. I expect to live at a Buddhist temple. So, I could perhaps use the Thai, the Japanese, or the Korean for various things.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: July 05, 2007 01:48PM

aquadecoco
j'habite le Québec.
Living in Quebec province right now.
So greetings to you from the east side!!!

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:22PM

My first language is Chinese. In my country, Malaysia, I've learned Malay because it's the national language. BTW, I'm still finding ways to fix my broken English.

&#21335;&#26080;&#38463;&#24357;&#38464;&#20315;

Know what it means?

All the Best,
Wong

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:45PM

Errr... I wonder why the words don't show up... this is no fun... tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, it means "Namo Amitabha".

All the Best,
Wong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 12:46PM by blue_sky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables