Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

menstrual cramps
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 18, 2007 10:20AM

does anyone know of any specific raw food regime to help menstrual cramps? i have only been raw for about 2 weeks and i started my period last night with the worst stomach and back cramps of my life. is it because i am eatting only raw food?

thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: menstrual cramps
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:28PM

Hello,

Bad cramps can be from lack of Magnesium (Drink Natural Calm plain flavored Magnesium by Peter Gillham.) or other health related issues.

To address your question quickly, getting into a Downward Facing Dog position in Yoga and holding/relaxing into this position helps the most without drugs. This only works if the cramps are not severe. To do a Downward Facing Dog position, stand up, bend over until your hands touch the floor. Then have about 2.5 feet or whatever is comfortable distance between your hands and feed when bent over. Your arms and legs should be straight. Your heals may/may not be touching the floor. Your hips will be in the air. This will be an inverted "V" position. Hold the position and breathe into it and relax. When you start to feel the your weight get heavy into your hands, get up, breathe, and relax. Your pains should be either gone or diminished if the cramps were not severe.

If the cramps are severe, you will have to wait it out. A cup of German Chamomile tea always helps relax me but doesn't quick diminish the pain.

Also, be sure to pick up a couple of Young Coconuts. Smash the top of it after cutting away at the pointed end until you get to the top of the shell. Pry the top of the smashed shell with the the pointed end of a can opener, cut into the white flesh a little with a knife when held upside down over a glass, allow the milk to go into the glass, then drink. The two Young Coconuts will replenish any severe blood loss you have.

The RAW diet is not a source of bad cramps. The stomach ache could be from bad food combining. It could also be part of detox leading to diarrhea. Make sure that you are eating foods that are compatible together. For example, eat fruits by themselves as they require different digestive enzymes. There are a few fruits that you can eat with other food groups but these are few. You can do an internet search on food compatibility.

One of the issues I came across in RAW was that, apparently, I had some growths. These came out during my periods. The cramps were severe in these cases. It was akin to having a miscarriage, because a friend of mine's wife asked me if I were pregnant and having one since the symptoms sounded the same to her. (She was a nurse during her work years and she has had a miscarriage. I couldn't have been pregnant as I had not been with anyone.) I kept bleeding heavily for sometimes 3 days straight and the cramps were severe. I was exhausted and no amount of sleep would help the exhaustion. After the growth was released, the bleeding went back to normal and the period stopped soon afterwards. I have released 6 growths in the 2.5 years that I have been modified RAW. I know they were growths because they were solid and when I pulled at them, they didn't rip and felt like I was pulling on a finger. They were ranging in size from my pinkie to the width of my thumb at the widest point. This releasing of the growths are a part of detox, i.e. getting your body back to optimal health.

Good luck.
Therese

Date: May 19, 2007 06:56PM

thank you very much for your suggestions, therese. the cramps have stopped now but i will know what to try if i have them again.

i think you were right about the bad combos of food groups. i was not actually paying any attention to the combinations i was eatting. i was just eatting raw fruits and veggies all day. i did not know that it mattered. but it makes alot of sense now that you mention it.

also, i had very severe gas, which could have also contributed to the cramps.

so, do you think that you were able to release these growths due to the detox effect of raw food? were you aware of the growths prior to becoming raw?

thanks again.

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:43AM

Hi...I just read what the both have you had written regarding cramps...I have taken Hylands Mag Phos for about 20 years to reduce cramps. It helps to re-establish the magnesium level in the tissue cells which causes the release of extra sodium that causes the bloating that causes the cramping. Also perhaps eating foods that are more mono yet blended them and making them easier to digest should help with keeping the womb area more relaxed.

Date: May 21, 2007 01:29PM

hi diana. i just want to make sure that i understand what you wrote. you mean that it may help to blend raw fruits and veggies in order to digest easier? i think that is what you were saying. great suggestion. worked wonders on my indigestion.

and therese, since in began watching my food combinations i have had much less discomfort.

thank you both so much. i am so happy that i found this website. i do not think i would have stayed raw when i was in so much pain if i had not had the tips i have found in this and other forums on this site.

so glad i stayed raw though. last night i noticed that my breathing felt cleaner. it was a feeling i never felt before. hard to even describe. but it felt amazing.

i am 100% raw for almost 3 weeks now.

thanks again.

Date: May 21, 2007 11:10PM

Hello...I am glad that you are feeling better. What I meant about mono foods was to take one particular fruit or veggie in what ever quantity that you are going to eat and pulse blend it. This way your body won't have to digest larger pieces of food and eating your food this way will make your overall digestion easier which will cause less discomfort in your abdominal area. Some people eat like this often because of this fact...Diana

Date: May 23, 2007 01:03AM

Pih,

Glad you're feeling better. I was not aware I had any growths prior to Raw. Also, when I check with the OB/GYN years before raw, he stated that I did not have any tumors or growths. A couple of months back (I've been modified raw for about 2.5 years going on 3), I went to another OB/GYN. She did not see any growths and yet about 1.5 months later, I released another one.

Also, congrats on your breathing. It's amazing the changes our bodies go through. For me, at one point, I poked my nose to clean it (I know but I couldn't blow out the mucus as it was too gluey.), and I pulled out what looked like a perfect green globule about the size of a pea but the stickiness of soft rubber cement. After that, I had not problem breathing out of that nostril. In fact, I didn't even know I had had problems breathing out of that nostril! LOL.

Anyhow, I wish you continued success.
Therese

Date: May 23, 2007 09:56AM

thanks to both of you for passing on your wisdom, experience and encouragment. it has made all the difference in the world.

i was drinking between 1 and 2 bottles of wine a night before i went raw. i was also taking sedatives almost every night for the past 3 years. i have been clean of these things as well since i made the choice to go raw. the first week was really hard. the second week i still missed it. now, i dont even miss these substances. and i feel so good. i felt as though i was living a lie. i was hiding the amount of drinking and the pills from my parents, my husband, my friends. now, i do not feel as though i am walking around with a secret. and i feel soooooooo good. i realize now that these things were not making me feel good, only helping me hide from life. now i realize, i do not want to hide from my life.

wow. it feels so good to let that out. i would have never had the courage to tell anyone that before.

love and happiness to you both!!!

camille

Date: May 25, 2007 10:43PM

Hello again...Isn't it nice to walk around in this world feeling good because we have made a conscious effort to do so...I know people look at me wondering why is she always smiling...I hope you have a great evening...Diana

Date: May 25, 2007 11:43PM

Camille,

I'm so happy for you that you were able to overcome yourself. The truth is what gives life. I find that this gift that is inherent in the Raw process.

Congrats. Therese

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables