Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is baking soda natural??
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:36AM

Hello... I know people who use baking soda to wash (Including myself!) And I was wondering just how natural it can be considered? I know it is a chemical compound.. but did it "occur" naturally in earth? (Before people started to make and market it??)
Also is it considered Raw?
I looked up baking soda online but still have not found these answers.
I always only put things on my body that I would put in it. So this has been a concern of mine.

thanks everyone =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is baking soda natural??
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 21, 2007 11:53AM

Hello Vegcase...That is a very good question...I've brushed my teeth with baking soda and baking soda toothpastes (like Tom's of Maine) for years because it just seemed that it was a much better idea than regular brands of tooth paste that have a warning on the label...DON"T SWALLOW...not that I am inclined to swallow my tooth paste...but for heavens sake it could happen accidently as it is something that is in my mouth...anyway...your question is a very good one...perhaps the folks at Tom's of Maine could answer it...Diana

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:10AM

well,its deffinetly man made

I never like to use the word 'natural' If your main concern is not putting toxic stuff in that you wouldn't ingest as food. the answer is probably a...maybe smiling smiley

persoanlly my choice if i'm to pick something to use that was not 'natural' I would pick the simplest thing

baking soda chemical compound, sodium bicarbonate or odium hydrogen carbonate or NaHCO3

seems pretty basic and harmless compared to enviornmental toxins, impurities in water , or a hot dog...don't you think?

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:14AM

Veg,

The Baking Soda that is manufactured, is not raw. It can be found naturally according to Wikipedia [en.wikipedia.org]. I've never seen baking soda that wasn't manufactured so I don't have a clue where to get it. Also, I don't know how harmful it can be even though it isn't raw. There are many supplements out there that are supposed to help one's health and they do have some benefits but they aren't totally raw.

Before raw, I used to take it to stop my hiccups. It was the only thing that worked. Now, since raw, I can take Magnesium to stop them.

I have tried using baking soda in the past for tooth paste but it tasted awful. Now, I just use water and a brush. I might try the oil pulling method, too, as I read good reviews on that.

Good luck.
Therese

Date: May 23, 2007 02:25AM

hey Therese, thanks. ..What is the oil pulling method?'
=)

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 27, 2007 11:02AM

i read up on oil pulling and they said that it is false..that nothing happens because the oil isn't touching anything really..i guess it says it meets with all your endings to cleanse thet oxins out of your body and pull them out...they said that is why the oil becomes white...but any swishing..or mixing or blending of oil does this..if you put it in a blender it turns white and fluffier..so i don't know...but you can check it out on google!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 28, 2007 12:12AM

Bicarbonate is what your body uses to keep the pH of your plasma at a fairly constant level.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 29, 2007 01:37AM

I'm pretty sure I read in my Norman Waker book on fruit and veggie juices, that it may cause stones in our gallbladders and livers..

Here's what the stuff is:
baking soda:
Also known as bicarbonate of soda.

bicarbonate of soda:
Inorganic compound, white, crystalline salt of sodium, chemical formula NaHCO3

Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, comes from soda ash obtained either through the Solvay process or from trona ore, a hard, crystalline material.
Because the synthetic process used in the Solvay method presented some pollution problems, Church & Dwight Co. Inc. is basing more and more of its manufacturing on trona mining. Another large producer of soda ash, the FMC Corporation, also relies on trona to manufacture soda ash and sodium bicarbonate. Trona is mined at 1,500 feet (457.2 meters) below the surface.
Making baking soda

Next, the intermediate soda ash solution is put into a centrifuge, which separates the liquid from the crystals. The crystals are then dissolved in a bicarbonate solution (a soda ash solution made by the manufacturer) in a rotary dissolver, thereby becoming a saturated solution. This solution is filtered to remove any non-soluble materials and is then pumped through a feed tank to the top of a carbonating tower.

[www.answers.com]

Why not use real soap, I make soap the old fashioned way and it retains all the glycerine and I only use the best organic essential oils for it. Sure makes a difference on your skin when you use it.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 02, 2007 09:04AM

Prism: Thanks for the info! I also do use plain old castile soap which works fine but sometimes doesn't get the deep clean of an exfoliater. The main thing I use baking soda for is its slightly abrasive texture. Besides using it for cleaning house, I like to use it about once a week as an exfoliater on my face. And also in brushing my teeth as a whitener. So I have been looking for alternatives to this texture I get from baking soda... any suggestions?

Date: June 02, 2007 02:36PM

Nothing that I've found beats using those exfoliating gloves. I use them on every part of my body with my own hand-made soaps.

Almond meal makes a good exfoliating agent for your body, as does salt, and even sugar. If you use sugar mixed with some honey to thicken it, and used those gloves, you'd feel how soft it leaves your skin.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 02, 2007 11:39PM

Real soap (pH 11 or higher) is much worse for your skin than baking soda.

Your skin's protective acid mantle is about 5.5. The further you stray from this with anything applied, the worse it is on your skin.

That's why gentle synthetic detergent cleansers at pH 5.5 were developed for the skin: so they would not be nearly as harsh as soaps.

Date: June 03, 2007 03:52PM

Arugula, you should be cautioned to not make blanket statements that don't give a person enough information. People can research this on their own, but here is a bit more info. in response to your above post.

{Your skin makes a lightly acidic secretion to help protect itself. This is called the Acid Mantle. Because it is acidic, the most effective way to clean it off, along with excess oils, dirt and germs, is using an alkaline foaming system (soap!). Your skin begins resecreting the mantle immediately. Within 20 minutes it is about 1/3 strength and with 2-3 hours it is back up at full strength. This varies slightly person to person, and there are rare cases of this mechanism failing in very sick individuals. In other words - this is an absolute non-issue. There is no health reason to choose one product over another based on pH, assuming pH levels are within say 3.30 or so (like an orange) and 10 (such as a bar soap). It is interesting to note that the mildest cleanser you can use - properly made handmade style bar soaps - also have the highest pH at 10.01. We have testimonials of eczema and dermatitis disappearing after just a few days of handmade soap use, (Testimonials) so don't let anybody tell that mildness equals low pH - it just ain't so! [www.vermontsoap.com]}
Note: My skin and wrinkles are only improving with the use of the exfoliating gloves and my hand-made soaps using real essential oils. I got asked yesterday what I was doing to get rid of wrinkles by someone that I see on occassion.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2007 03:53PM by Prism.

Date: June 03, 2007 06:57PM

Prism, I have definitely made extensive research in this topic. Also I am not selling anything, particularly soap. I can assure you that I have made much more heavy research in this area than the seller website to which you refer. There is absolutely no way that a person well-versed in surfactant chemistry could conclude that soap is better for the skin than a properly formulated syndet cleanser.

Here are more references for you, since you implied that I have not done my homework. Have you read all of these? Perhaps you will come to different conclusions.

Nix DH, Factors to consider when selecting skin cleansing products, JWound Ostomy Continence Nurs 2000
Sep;27(5):260-8
Christina Marino, MD, MPH, Skin Physiology, Irritants, Dry Skin and Moisturizers, Report Number 56-2-2001
August 2001, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries,Safety and Health Assessment and
Research for Prevention Program
Mathias CG, Contact dermatitis from use or misuse of soaps, detergents, and cleansers in the
workplace. Occup Med 1986 Apr-Jun;1(2):205-18
Blanc D, Skin cleansing in dermatoses, Wien Med Wochenschr Suppl 1990;108:21-2
Shukuwa T, Kligman AM, Disaggregation of corneocytes from surfactant-treated sheets of stratum corneum
in hyperkeratosis on psoriasis, ichthyosis vulgaris and atopic dermatitis, JDermatol 1997 Jun;24(6):361-9
Fiers SA., Breaking the cycle: the etiology of incontinence dermatitis and evaluating and
using skin care products, Ostomy Wound Manage 1996 Apr;42(3):32-4, 36, 38-40, passim
Wortzman MS, Evaluation of mild skin cleansers, Dermatol Clin 1991 Jan;9(1):35-44
Shukuwa T, Kligman AM, Stoudemayer TJ, A new model for assessing the damaging effects of soaps and
surfactants on human stratum corneum. Acta Derm Venereol 1997 Jan;77(1):29-34
van Ruissen F, Le M, Carroll JM, van der Valk PG, Schalkwijk J, Differential effects of detergents on
keratinocyte gene expression, J Invest Dermatol 1998 Apr;110(4):358-363
Schmid MH, Korting HC, The concept of the acid mantle of the skin: its relevance for the choice of skin
cleansers, Dermatology 1995;191(4):276-80
Korting HC, Kober M, Mueller M, Braun-Falco O, Influence of repeated washings with soap and synthetic
detergents on pH and resident flora of the skin of forehead and forearm. Results of a cross-over trial in health
probationer, Acta Derm Venereol 1987;67(1):41-7.
Korting HC, Hubner K, Greiner K, Hamm G, Braun-Falco O, Differences in the skin surface pH and bacterial
microflora due to the long-term application of synthetic detergent preparations of pH 5.5 and pH 7.0. Results
of a crossover trial in healthy volunteers, Acta Derm Venereol 1990;70(5):429-31
Korting HC,LukacsA,Vogt N,UrbanJ,EhretW,Ruckdeschel G.,Influence of the pH-value on the growth of
Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus aureus and Propionibacterium acnes in continuous culture,
Zentralbl Hyg Umweltmed 1992 Jun;193(1):78-90
Nix, D, RN, MS, CWOCN: The Details of Bathing and Moisturizing, Wounds1.com
Yada Y, Higuchi K, Imokawa G, Purification and biochemical characterization of membrane-bound epidermal
ceramidases from guinea pig skin, JBiol Chem. 1995 May 26;270(21):12677-84.
Elias PM. (Review) Lipids and the epidermal permeability Barrier. Arch Dermatol Res 1981; 270:95-117
Meguro S, Arai Y, Masukawa Y, Uie K, and Tokimitsu I. Relationship between covalently bound ceramides and
travsepidermal water loss (TEWL).Arch Dermatol Res 2000; 292: 463-468
Wolf R, Has mildness replaced cleanliness next to godliness?, Dermatology 1994;189(3):217-21
Introduction to surfactants, Key Center for Polymer Colloids, Australian Research Council's Research Centres
Program, University of Sydney, Australia,1999-2002
Bartolo, R.G, Soap, in Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology , 4th ed, J.I. Kroschwitz, Editor. 1993, Wiley
Interscience. p. 297-326
Rieger M, Surfactant Encyclopedia confused smileyecond Revised Edition, Allured Publishing Corporation, 1996
Evans W, PUREmagazine, Australia
Tupker RA, Bunte EE,Fidler V, Wiechers JW,Coenraads PJ.,Irritancy ranking of anionic detergents using one
time occlusive, repeated occlusive and repeated open tests, Contact Dermatitis 1999 Jun;40(6):316-22
van der Valk PG, Crijns MC, Nater JP, Bleumink E, Skin irritancy of commercially available soap and detergent
bars as measured by water vapour loss, Derm Beruf Umwelt 1984;32(3):87-90
Baranda L, Gonzalez-Amaro R, Torres-Alvarez B, Alvarez C, Ramirez V, Correlation between pH and irritant
effect of cleansers marketed for dry skin, Int JDermatol 2002 Aug;41(8):494-9
Bikowski J,The use of cleansers as therapeutic concomitants in various dermatologic disorders, Cutis 2001
Dec;68(5 Suppl):12-9
Ciuchta HP, Dodd KT, The determination of the irritancy potential of surfactants using various methods of
assessment, Drug Chem Toxicol 1978;1(3):305-24
Cua AB, Wilhelm KP, Maibach HI, Cutaneous sodium lauryl sulphate irritation potential: age and regional
variability, Br J Dermatol 1990 Nov;123(5):607-13
Warren R, Ertel KD, Bartolo RG, Levine MJ, Bryant PB, Wong LF, The influence of hard water (calcium) and
surfactants on irritant contact dermatitis, Contact Dermatitis 1996 Dec;35(6):337-43

van der Valk PG, Nater JP, Bleumink E .Skin vapour loss as a method for measuring the influence of soaps and
detergents on human skin. (Part 1), Derm Beruf Umwelt 1983;31(2):58-60
Nomura T, Hata S, Shibata K, Kusafuka T., Killing of preimplantation mouse embryos by main ingredients of
cleansers AS and LAS, Mutat Res 1987 Jan;190(1):25-9
Okuda M, Yoshiike T, Ogawa H, Detergent-induced epidermal barrier dysfunction and its prevention, J
Dermatol Sci 2002 Dec;30(3):173-9
Frosch PJ,Kligman AM, The soap chamber test. A new method for assessing the irritancy of soaps, JAm Acad
Dermatol 1979 Jul;1(1):35-41
Hall-Manning TJ,Holland GH,RennieG,RevellP,HinesJ,Barratt MD,Basketter DA,Skinirritation potential of
mixed surfactant systems.Food Chem Toxicol 1998 Mar;36(3):233-8
Tavakkol A, Kligman LH, Morrison BM Jr, Polefka TG, The effects of prolonged use of surfactants on the skin
of normal and photo-exposed hairless mice, Contact Dermatitis 1998 Nov;39(5):231-9
English JS,Ratcliffe J,Williams HC, Irritancy of industrial hand cleansers tested by repeated open application
on human skin, Contact Dermatitis 1999 Feb;40(2):84-8
Tyebkhan G, Skin cleansing in neonates and infants--basics of cleansers, Indian JPediatr 2002 Sep;69(9):
767-9
Proksch E.: Die Permeabilitätsbarriere der Epidermis und ihre Beeinflussung durch Detergentien und
Lokaltherapeutika. Ärztl. Kosmetol. 19, 424-434, 1989
Imokawa G., Abe A., Jin K. et al.: Decreased level of ceramides in stratum corneum of atopic dermatitis: An
etiologic factor in atopic dry skin? J.Invest. Dermatol. 96, 523-526, 1991
Gammel C.E., Pagnoni A., Kligman A.M., el Gammal S.: A model to assess the efficacy of moisturizers -the
quantification of soap-induced xerosis by image analysis of adhesive coated discs. Clin. Exp. Dermatol. 21,
338-343, 1996
Gfatter R., Hackl P., Braun F.: Effects of soap and detergents on skin surface pH, stratum corneum hydration
and fat contents in infants. Dermatology 195, 258-262, 1997
van der Falk P.G., Cryns M.C., Nater J.P.: Skin irritancy of commercially available soap and detergent bars as
measured by water vapour loss. Clin. Exper. Dermatol. 10, 98-103, 1984
Bechor R., Zlotogorski A., Dikstein S.: Effect of soap and detergents on the pH and casual lipid levels of the
skin surface. J.Appl. Cosmetol. 6, 123-128, 1988
Svendjen K., Hilt B.: Skin disorders in ship's engineers exposed to oils and solvents. Contact Dermatitis 36,
216-220, 1997
Eberlein-König B., Spiegl A., Przybilla B.: Change of skin roughness due to lowering air humidity in a climate
chamber. Acta Derm. Venereol. 76, 447 -449, 1996

Date: June 03, 2007 10:54PM

I'm not going to read all of that you list. I can see for myself the difference in my skin.

If you disagree that's ok by me, no harm done and you've listed enough info for anyone that wants to can spend as much time as they like in reading some or all of it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 05, 2007 02:25AM

Arugula,

why not just say
this is what happens when soap is used on skin
this is what happens when baking soda is
this is what happens when you use just water
then this is what I think is the best way to clean skin.

I'd certainly find it informative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables