Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anybody have any experience with Hypothyroidism?
Posted by: love ()
Date: May 31, 2007 10:26PM

Hello all!

Does anybody know what hypothyroidism is cauesd by? I know the whole under production of a certain hormone and all. What is it caused by though? Food? Could it be soy?

Does anyone have any experience with hypothyroidism? And what caused it? How you have helped it, what you expereinced from it, etc.

Thank you all!

Here is a symptoms list I found in a book:

Fatigue

Weakness

Weight gain or increased difficulty in losing weight

Coarse, drt hair

Dry, rough pale skin

Hair loss

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like ost people in the same enviroment)

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches

Constipation

Depression

Irritablity

Memory loss

Abnormal menstrual cycles

Decreased libido

Hormonal imbalances

I am 18 years old, so this seems strange. I went bongers for soy for a few monhs though. Soy dogs, tofu, soy milk, soy burger's, etc, and ate a lot of it every day! I am not saying I have this, I am just saying the symptoms look very famlier. You know what I mean? I do not claim this in this.

Thank you!

Love to all!

love

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody have any experience with Hypothyroidism?
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 01, 2007 07:58AM

just out of curiousity, how did you realize that your symptoms were similar to hypothyroidism? i mean, do you know someone who was diagnosed with it? or did you just research?

Date: June 01, 2007 11:03PM

pihourova, I was reading a health book and I just opened the page on that part and it mentioned the symptoms. So I read them and they sounded familyer. Why do you ask?

Thank you!

Love to all!

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 02, 2007 08:28AM

i was asking because i read somewhere that if you have relation to someone with this disease or other autoimmune disease you are at risk. i also read that medications can cause this.

hopefully you can cure yourself with fresh fruit and veg. soy does NOT cause this. soy is actually a hormone regulater and is great for things like pms. its usually not raw though unless you just eat like the soy beans or raw soy nuts.

how long have you had these symptoms?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 02, 2007 03:02PM

At your age, I'd suspect low iron supply. You can research anemia, low iron supply, etc and you'll get about 12 symptoms that looks a lot like hypothyroidism.

I'd buy an iron supplement and take 1-3 tabs a day for 3-5 days and if it perks you up almost right away, you know your supply of iron was low. It's a quick way to find out if you need iron. Then you could start eating more leafy green veggies, and green juices. Look up foods list to see what gives you the most iron, and use the fresh produce ones from the list. Asborbing iron from foods is more difficult and adding some foods with V-C daily helps. Making a green/fruit smoothie would be a good way to get both.

It's interesting to note that people who are on thyroid meds also end up becoming anemic as I did. I didn't know that, and after 30 years of taking thyroid meds, I swear I almost died from anemia that went unrecognized by my Dr.

When I started taking iron supplements (before I found raw foods) I feel it saved me from more ill health or even eventual death. That's how I feel. I had just about every symptom of anemia. I started with taking 1 tablet, then a few weeks later added a second tablet and working up to 4 a day. I took it for a year, then tapered off.

I can recognize most of the symptoms if they return, starting with low energy, cramps in my legs and feet, lack of satisfying breaths, head-aches. Then I'll take the iron supp for a week or two, and or make sure I'm doing green juices/green smoothies.

Oh, and btw, imo, soy milk and other products made of soy is not good for us, especially women (do some research on soy, and include soy formula in your search too as that's interesting) but eating the whole soybean is a different story, to me that is the way to eat soy.

For being hypothyroid, you can see your naturopath/Dr. and they can check it for you to see if you have any problems.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 05, 2007 01:03AM

Thank you pihourova! I am not saying that I have it. I don't claim things like that. I am just interested in what it is about. But who knows, it might not even be, or it could be iron. Or nothing at all. Thank you again!

Thank you Prism! I will research on the iron thing. Doesn't Spirulina have a lot of iron?

Love to all!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 09, 2007 02:32AM

This if for you Love. I was reading my Braggs booklet on their apple cider vinegar and there's a list of symptoms when you are deficient in potassium. It does seem like it's working miracles in my life, so you might want to visit bragg.com or maybe you can get the booklet from the library.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables