Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fibromyalgia pain & fatigue
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 03, 2007 10:36PM

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1997 and was bedridden for several years. I have progressively improved with diet and exercise over several years to the point of being almost painfree for the last 5 years.

I was feeling really good and stable until the first of this past June when I did the Master CLeanse and decided to go raw. Since then I have been about 80% raw. I have had terrible joint and muscle pain and fatigue. Luckily I have been on vacation because I haven't had the energy to get off the couch. I usually feel pretty good (energy wise) in the mornings when I get up, but I can hardly walk because of the pain, even though I am still walking 5 days a week because I know I need to. By 11:00am I am lethargic and I battle sleepiness thorughout the afternoons and evenings, despite what I eat. I have been experimenting with more fruit, less fruit, less protein, more protein... more carbs, less carbs...I don't know what to do. This past week I had 2 good days...but can't seem to figure out how or why. I really believe it has to do with food.

Does anyone know what foods to eat / when to eat to deal with fibromyalgia? I would appreciate any help with this. THanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fibromyalgia pain & fatigue
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 04, 2007 09:45AM

i really dont know the answer to your question. but you could be having some kind of detox symptoms.

i know a lady at my gym with fibromyalgia. she once told me that there are many health professionals and healers that do not think this condition actually exist. some view it as a complication of poor diet and not taking care of your mind and body in general.

your symptoms sound alot like my detox symptoms were. i am not saying you dont have fibromyalgia. i am just saying, my detox was very similar to what you have described. perhaps you just have to keep eatting raw and wait it out.

good luck, i hope you feel better soon.

Date: July 04, 2007 01:26PM

pihourova,

How long did your detox last? What is weird to me is that I'll occasionally have a "good" day and I'm trying to figure out what causes that so I can have more "good" days.

Thanks for responding!

Date: July 04, 2007 01:53PM

well, i would have "good days" as well. i also would have days that were not so bad but still bad. the painful part of my detox lasted about 2 and a half weeks. i was 100% raw the whole time and 100% raw for a few weeks after. i am currently 80-100% raw. i still feel as though i am detoxing a little but the painful part is over. it is now in the form of very frequent bowel movements and lots of mucous. i am trying to be 100% raw every day, with success!winking smiley i am over 2 months raw i think.

sorry i cant tell you what i was eatting on my so called good days. i was just sort of walking around on eggshells the whole time. hot baths seemed to offer some temporary relief.

i know another lady on this forum, prism, has had great success with braggs apple cider vinegar. she says it has helped alot with her pain. she has sciatica. i did not know about it while i was detoxing. perhaps you should try it. i think it is the only brand that is raw and organic.

good luck!

Date: July 04, 2007 04:28PM

Thanks for the info.

I started on the ACV today and a "new" resolve to be 100% raw. I really feel that is what I need to do. Thanks again.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2007 12:21PM

Hi I'm new to this forum and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (finally!) in 2004 (I think anyway) and went through a stage of taking a lot of anti-depressants, painkillers etc. and am now drug-free and managing my Fibromyalgia with diet and exercise. I do a lot of stretching every day at least half an hour and find this helps with everything from pain to battling that foggy head that makes you feel you don't want to do things.

I have found my pain a lot better since eating a lot of bony fish in my diet (tuna, salmon etc) and I also take Fish Oil tablets when I remember (as a fellow fibro person you'll understand that!) and I try for 2 times a day.

I will look forward to hearing how you feel when you implement your desire to be 100% raw! This is what I aspire to - but am not at that point in my life just yet.

I myself found that eating fish more has been a real blessing for how I feel.

It might work for you or maybe not. I'm not even really clear on how eating fish fits in with the raw lifestyle (as mentioned I'm still learning).

Best wishes and keep up the good work - living with Fibro is hard but your efforts will be rewarded by a happier body smiling smiley

Date: August 07, 2007 04:15PM

Leonie...I haven't checked this thread in a while. Sorry for the late response. What I've noticed with being 100% is that my pain level is tremendously reduced as is my mental / emotional outlook. Of all the diets / lifestyles I tried over the years, it makes me feel the best and for that reason, it is certainly worth pursuing!

Date: August 11, 2007 11:35AM

i am glad you are feeling better, island girl, and good luck, leonie. i think you will find this lifestyle will help you tremendously.

i never had fibromyalgia but, i personally, did not realize how bad i actually felt until i went raw. now i feel so good.

Posted by: azrael ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:19PM

Hi Islandgirl,

My mom has fibromyalgia. For her, any change in her lifestyle will bring it on. Maybe the pain you experience is just your body being forced to become acclimated to a new way of living and after the readjustment you will feel even better than before .

Date: August 27, 2007 07:25PM

i agree.

Date: September 06, 2007 07:11AM

island girl, i thought you might find this interesting, in case you have not seen it.

""Found this post on GoneRaw.com - Hi, I have suffered with Fibromyalgia for the last 20 years. I have been on every medication that they use for FMS. On May 28th I was told the current drug that I had been on for over a year was causing a lung disease…so I decided to take matters into my own hands, with the help of the Man upstairs. I stopped all meds, eliminated all major food categories that trigger FMS - dairy, meat, processed foods, flour, etc...and just began eating fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Now I’m in my 7th day of a Master Cleanse and I can say for the first time in all these years I am almost completely out of pain!!! I do not intend to ever go back to my old lifestyle and eating habits. The raw is the only way to live. The best thing to do, is stop mixing your foods and just go for it – completely raw. You will not regret making the change – in fact your body will be so grateful. I am taking 30 minute walks daily – the first time in so many years that I can walk without pain.""
- From [goneraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables