Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I need social rapport and support
Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: July 04, 2007 07:06PM

Hey I've been raw foodist for a year now, about 80 percent.

I recently was lectured by a therapist about how I should relax about food and let go, and not think about it really. I felt crushed because my mind is so sharp now. I could never concentrate like I do now, before. To her benefit, it was over the phone and she had never met me before. My mom has stomach aches often and my parents eat during painful conversations and walk around- so there is a possibility of an eating disorder for the family in general- me included.

If any one wants to lend a hand, just support and share how they feel I really need it. I don't know where to go. I feel alone, and embarrased. I somehow cannot explain how I WAS sick and how I feel better. Many of these issues arose perhaps becuase I was thicker and thinner over the years and becuase I feel I don't always have the best experience with raw- due to stress.

I work for myself now, so that is better. I just feel scared. I wish I was accepted and supported. I wish my mom and friends could recognize how much better I am now. I feel like giving up, just because I am so effected by their feelings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need social rapport and support
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: July 04, 2007 11:03PM

rainbowgrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently was lectured by a therapist about how I
> should relax about food and let go, and not think
> about it really. I felt crushed....

Whose opinion do you value more--yours, based on the personal improvements you've stated you've experienced, or a therapist who may likely have a complete different mindset and value system from yours as respects healthy eating and its impact on the body.

>I could never concentrate like I do now, before.

Use that new found ability to concentrate on how to continue getting even more out of life. If the changes made to your diet so far have been helpful, do you think going backwards will give you the same great results? Of course not!

> My mom has stomach aches often and my parents eat during
> painful conversations and walk around- so there is
> a possibility of an eating disorder for the family
> in general- me included.

It sounds like despite ongoing family issues beyond your control, the changes you've made so far just in your diet along have assisted you to make progressive improvements despite being in what seems to be an unsupportive environment.
>
> If any one wants to lend a hand, just support and
> share how they feel I really need it. I don't know
> where to go. I feel alone, and embarrased. I
> somehow cannot explain how I WAS sick and how I
> feel better. Many of these issues arose perhaps
> becuase I was thicker and thinner over the years
> and becuase I feel I don't always have the best
> experience with raw- due to stress.

> I just feel scared. I wish I was accepted and supported.
> I wish my mom and friends could recognize how much
> better I am now. I feel like giving up, just
> because I am so effected by their feelings.

Sometimes healing and progress is not readily visible on the outside, because the focus of the 'repair' work is being done on the inside. Sooner or later, it will also show on the outside as well. Not only in weight, but in attitude, in the vitality displayed, and at a minimum, improvement if not complete resolution of existing health issues, etc.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: July 05, 2007 01:16AM

rainbowgrl,

If you know you are doing better now w/ your diet then how are you going to feel if you give up just because you are so effected by their feelings?

For what it's worth I am finding it very helpful to NOT tell others I am "going raw".

If anyone comments on my diet I just say I'm trying to eat more produce. That doesn't seem so weird to people especially since it's advised to eat at least 5 servings a day.

I have no interest in allowing people to pick my diet apart and/or ridicule me, no, no.

If you found something that makes you feel good maybe it's a good thing to stick with. Heck, maybe it would feel good to take care of yourself your way. You can still be polite about it if you want and do your own thing.

Best of Luck To You

Pistachio, as always I like your post.

Kit

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: July 05, 2007 02:58AM

Aww...Thanks a lot Kit.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2007 12:49PM

I think people, being human, think that if you are disciplined with your eating that they have to justify their own eating to you or make you feel bad about what you are doing to make themselves feel better (this has been my experience in the last week or so). I am 20kg (2.2 pounds = 1 kg) overweight with health problems and yet I have found people aren't supportive or encouraging that I am trying to better myself - that is apart from a few like-minded friends who are thrilled I am doing this.

Good luck. If you feel good within yourself that's all that matters. You have had a lot of issues to deal with and I think your perseverence is great and to be commended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables