Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Skin!
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 12, 2007 12:55PM

Hello folks!

At the moment I'm high raw, and although everything about me is looking far better, I need a little extra help- in the name of vanity ;-)

In short, the skin on my face has a slightly pimply look to it even when I don't have any actual spots- it's been like this since my 2 year caffeine binge! I've got two red blotches on my face at the mo, that I'm pretty sure are part of my detox (it's finally kicked in, ouch!!!!).

Due to my job I seldom get to see any sun and definitely don't get enough sleep.

I know there's no overnight cures, but was wondering if anyone has any advice on speeding up the healing process for my skin. I don't particularly like beauty 'products', so would prefer maybe some guidance with certain fruit or veg that can help improve and clear up my skin. I've read that coconut oil is good, but having sensitive skin, I'm usually very wary of putting anything directly on it.

... or do I just wait out the detox?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skin!
Posted by: ferg ()
Date: July 12, 2007 12:59PM

Hi Rawnoggin,

My skin has improved so much too since going raw. The one thing I've noticed is when I eat a lot of nuts I break out.

Do you eat a lot of nuts? When I cut out so many nuts, my skin is back to normal.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 12, 2007 02:17PM

Some sun would probably help a lot, but since you are short on that I'd recommend aloe vera. The juice of fresh lemon is also great for the skin, but you'd only use this once or twice a week. Also, coconut oil, the really good virgin coconut oil, is excellent for the skin and smells really good, but you may not like that heavy oil on your face. I typically use coconut oil on the weekends or at night. Be careful too that you are not over-washing your face. I wash my face at night and then in the morning I lightly rub my facial skin with a clean, dry washcloth (or sometimes wet) and that's it.

hope this helps,

khale

Date: July 12, 2007 02:54PM

Hi ferg! Yep, I like my nuts (I never soak them either, don't have the time!) smiling smiley I'll try easing up on them to see if it helps smiling smiley Thanks for the advice!

Khale- the aloe vera sounds like a great idea. I've been one of these people who tends to overscrub so maybe it needs a bit of soothing instead ;-)

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: July 12, 2007 09:28PM

Just a note about scrubbing and using washcloths; both are bad for your skin in the long run. The advice about not over-washing is good, but if you do anything to your face in the morning (besides cleansing) it should be to gently massage with clean wet fingers to exfoliate and gently stimulate. I developed a cleansing regime for the company I work for that is based on personal experience and an amalgamation of good skin science, but since I don't want to seem to be schilling for my company, if anyone wants to contact me privately for the link, I'll send it (it doesn't require using any particular products, it's a way of washing your face that works with cleansers, water, oils, or whatever you're using).

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: July 12, 2007 09:32PM

Rosehip seed oil is great for reducing scars. (also called mesquite oil).

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 13, 2007 02:10AM

I'm looking for recommendations for a natural facial routine (cleanse, tone, moisturize) that can either be homemade or purchased at a health food store. I have very sensitive skin that is aging (I am 47). I previously used Arbonne which I think has mostly natural ingredients. I like it but it is very expensive. Just wondering what else is used out there that others have used with success. I hate pluncking out money on something only to find that it isn't any good. Thanks!

Date: July 13, 2007 10:55AM

I bought some mesquite oil about 5 years ago or so, and didn't know what to do with it, how much to use etc. It did feel really gentle and soothing though.

Back then, there was only 1 kind you could buy in the health shops, now there's loads! Choices, choices ;-)

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:27PM

Choices are a great thing!

david

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 13, 2007 09:10PM

I've been using the exfoliating gloves on my face and body for a couple years now. I notice a big change in texture and clearity. One large bump (I thought it largesmiling smiley on my nose is really shrinking down. A small bump (enlarged pore) is almost flat, and a small imflammed (size of a small pin head)pore is shrinking too. I use hand-made soap and it probably makes a big difference from the harsher store bought soaps.

I also use coconut oil on my skin.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 13, 2007 09:40PM

Prism,

I just found a link to your aromatherapy stuff. Do you have a store or just sell online?

How much coconut oil do you use? Do you leave it on???...rub it in???...wash it off???

I just got some stuff today to try that is based in aloe vera...we'll see what happens. There are TOO MANY CHOICES OUT THERE!

Date: July 13, 2007 09:48PM

I sell online for now. I'm waiting to have my aromatherapy wrist bands to add on the site, so I can sell those. In the meantime I learned how to make soaps which is really cool.

I use a lot of coconut oil, all over my body. I rub it in generously on my feet and heels and put socks on over that. I like to use a light film on my face, neck, and back of neck.

What excess doesn't get absorbed or licked off by my dog (he loves the stuff) I just tissue off if I want to.

There are a lot of choices, but after learning what goes into even many of the so called 'natural' products, I think using stuff like coconut oil, or almond and or avocado oils are better.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 14, 2007 02:08PM

What about for cleanser / toner?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 14, 2007 02:55PM

>
> There are a lot of choices, but after learning
> what goes into even many of the so called
> 'natural' products, I think using stuff like
> coconut oil, or almond and or avocado oils are
> better.
>
> Love,
> Prism
and those clean just as well and don`t make your skin oily feeling? i have oily skin to begin with...well mostly in my t-zone so i guess it`d be normal/combination skin.

Date: July 14, 2007 07:00PM

Try using raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to cleanse your face with, don't rinse it off (or you can if you want) pat dry and use some coconut oil or almond, or avocado oil for a moisturizer.

The best thing for me is using those exfoliating gloves, I use them daily with my soap I make and I'm vigerous in using them on my face and body.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 14, 2007 07:22PM

Thanks Prism...I also read somewhere that you can soak a mint leaf in 1 c of apple cider vinegar and make a toner with that. I got a mint plant at the farmer's market yesterday so I'm going to try that.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: July 14, 2007 08:18PM

I have to reiterate my comments about scrubbing and scrubbing implements: they are bad for the face in the long run, because scrubs and exfoliating mitts (and face cloths, etc) age the face by stretching the supple skin, and by causing micro-tears that invite bacterial invasion and can stimulate the inflammatory response of the body.

Clean, bare fingers are the best thing to exfoliate with - they are actually better than scrubs or cloths, because healthy, living skin is more 'attractive' to the dead skin cells. Fingers exfoliate by exploiting that attraction, they don't need to use abrasives or force to accomplish the task.

Exfoliating aids are fine for the rest of the body.

Date: July 15, 2007 01:11PM

Something happened after me posting this. A couple of days ago I went out to a nature park with my other half, and we were walking along, and he stops and says "Look at me for a second... wow, you're looking really healthy!"

Yayyyyy! smiling smiley

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 15, 2007 04:04PM

rawnoggin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something happened after me posting this. A couple
> of days ago I went out to a nature park with my
> other half, and we were walking along, and he
> stops and says "Look at me for a second... wow,
> you're looking really healthy!"
>
> Yayyyyy! smiling smiley

that`s awesome raw smiling smiley my other half is sorta worried about my new lifestyle. he`s not against it he just worries that i`m not getting enough minerals and such by consuming only fruits and vegees. funny, he should`ve been worried before when all i ate was the typical SAD...i ate hardly any of these live foods....mostly because no one else did and i didn`t want to spend the cash on "just me". we`ve been together for 16 years and the proof is always in the puddin! he`ll see and maybe he`ll embark on it also. he does juice so he`s getting some good stuff.
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables