Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mild macular degeneration
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 15, 2007 04:35PM

hi gang. my 80 something (forgive me i think she`s 82) mom has been diagnosed with mild macular degeneration. i don`t know the jists of what type but the opthamologist said she doesn`t need a drug for it that it can be managed through vitamins and whatnot. do any of you know which vits/minerals may help? i think i read lutein is good for the condition? thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mild macular degeneration
Posted by: Stacie ()
Date: July 15, 2007 04:59PM

· Vitamin C: 1,000 mg: daily.
· Vitamin E: 400 I.U. daily.
· Beta-carotene: 25,000 I.U. daily. (make sure she is a non smoker)
· Zinc: 50 mg. daily.
· Ginkgo biloba: 40 mg. three times daily.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 15, 2007 11:14PM

Tomatoes, carrots and beets are good for the eyes. I am not sure though what macular degeneration even is!

Re: mild macular degeneration - No magic bullets
Posted by: D'vorah ()
Date: July 16, 2007 01:18AM

MD is a vascular disease. My father has it. He also had 12 inches of blocked artery by-passed in his right leg. I think it's safe to say that if vascular disease exists in one part of the body, it likely is developing in another part of the body.

I don't believe any amount of vitimins will correct or slow down the progression of MD if a low-fat diet is not also adopted.

I've counseled my father, given him literature to read, worn myself out with him and his health problems, but, because it didn't come from his doctor, he won't consider it, and so, continues on his path to blindness.

I believe, from the reading that I have done, that a diet high in natural vitimins and low in fat is the answer to MD.

Blessings,

Deborah

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 16, 2007 02:20AM

Lots of greens are recommended for macular degeneration. One good way to get them is to make a blended salad in the blender, maybe in the morning, before other food is digested, with lots of spinach or kale or other dark greens + enough spring water to desired consistency. If that isn't palatable, she can put 2-3 handfuls of greens (slowly!) in a fruit smoothie.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 16, 2007 05:02AM

thanks kwan smiling smiley fortunately she loves her salads!
patty

Re: mild macular degeneration - No magic bullets
Date: July 16, 2007 05:12AM

D'vorah Wrote:
I think it's safe to say that if
> vascular disease exists in one part of the body,
> it likely is developing in another part of the
> body.

she has really bad varicose veins and she`s had a couple mild strokes within the past 4 years. she`s on bp meds but just started them a few years ago. she`s been healthy and stable all her life but it seems when her 80`s hit it hit the fan sad smiley she has eaten well (not very raw though) all her life. she lives with my sister who has cancer and believe you me, not alot of "crap" is allowed in that house! she`s been an avid vitamin taker all her life but i think money has taken it`s toll as to how much she can spend on food and/or supplements. she`s on an extremely fixed income. the doc said her MD was controllable with vitamins and minerals that she didn`t need to take medication. at her age maybe he was just trying to keep her uplifted i don`t know.

she will listen to me almost before she listens to dr.`s. she doesn`t have alot of faith in dr.`s when it comes to nutrition/health.
>
> I believe, from the reading that I have done, that
> a diet high in natural vitimins and low in fat is
> the answer to MD.

that`s good smiling smiley she loves to eat healthy! maybe a part of the answer is me funding her nutrition!
> Blessings,
>
> Deborah

thank you deborah and i hope you and your father are in a good place. life is too short
patty

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 16, 2007 02:11PM

I second the greens, lots of water, and Vitamin C rich foods. You should make sure she gets all of those dark leafy greens that kwan advised and give her cantaloupe, oranges, and anything else that will aid in their absorption.

Date: July 16, 2007 04:29PM

thank you all for your help smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables