Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are you an HSP? Find out, then take my survey!
Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 01, 2007 02:30PM

Hello Everyone,

Francis made a comment about being overwhelmed by malls since going raw that set me to wonder whether there is a connection between eating raw food and being a Highly Sensitive Person.

Elaine Aron, a psychologist who researches this trait and has written several books on it, defines the highly sensitive person as "a distinct personality trait that affects as many as one out of every five people. The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) has a sensitive nervous system, is aware of subtleties in his/her surroundings, and is more easily overwhelmed when in a highly stimulating environment."

I wonder whether raw foodists are more likely to go raw because they are more sensitive to the damage of cooked and processed foods. I also wonder whether it's possible for a non-HSP to become one after being raw over time.

I'd like to conduct an unscientific study with you, an unrepresentable sample, to gain at least a sense about these two questions: Are more people who go raw HSP's? And, can going raw turn a person into an HSP or make them more so?

Please take the self-test at the link below, then reply to this post with the following information:

1) How long you have been raw
2) Your sensitivity score
3) If you think there's a difference, your sensitivity score as it would have been before going raw
4) Any reactions you had as a result of taking the test (thoughtful ones, not physical ones!)

Here's the link: [www.hsperson.com]

Thanks, and have fun!

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are you an HSP? Find out, then take my survey!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2007 03:14PM

I have read Aron's book and absolutely identify myself as HSP (agree with 26 out of 27 of the criteria). I've been trying various diets for awhile because I have IBS. I have been transitioning to raw for about 4 months. I would say I am about 75% raw at this point. I am definitely extremely sensitive to many foods and am finding that raw agrees with me best, especially high-fruit raw.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 01, 2007 05:43PM

I've been super sensitive for years. I hate it. Anyone who says it's a gift isn't very sensitive. I'd gladly trade with anyone who can just enjoy life normally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 05:45PM by aquadecoco.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 01, 2007 05:46PM

> Betty
>
> "Don't believe everything you think."

Betty, that's the best advice ever!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 01, 2007 08:39PM

1) raw for 3 1/2 years
2) 25
3) less sensitive before raw, on the test, but actually just less aware of how my sensitivities were causing all the chaos and confusion in my life.
4) wondering if how my pain threshold can be so high (48 hours of labor, only 4 with drugs) and yet my sensitivity to my physical discomfort (bloating, aching, digestive discomfort) is so intense? always has been. my mother used to joke that i couldn't stand to be uncomfortable, but pain, that's another issue that i deal with very differently.

culturally, i think we are an overstimulated bunch. by separating ourselves by our choices, including raw foods, i think we change ourselves and seek to see ourselves in a different way. i seek to heighten my awareness, physically, spiritually, mentally, while it seems the goal of many people i meet is to smother it and overwhelm it with 'entertainment' and other such things....

peace-

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 01, 2007 09:01PM

1) 2 months
2) 22
3) too early to tell
4) surprised...I didn't know there was such a "trait" as HSP. I've just always thought of myself as slightly on the autistic side. However, within the last year I have become more and more affected by loud noise, music, and general chaos and was wondering if this was my age (I just turned 47). I'd like to look into HSP more, now that you've brought it to attention. Thanks.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 01, 2007 09:03PM

Interesting theory Betty.

I scored a 14, but I don't consider myself a "highly sensitive person" really. I KNOW highly sensitive people and I tend to be the calm in their storm, BUT I am a classic introvert and the characteristics are indeed very similar.

I require a lot of time alone, dislike large crowds, and tire easily in the company of others...But I have a very high pain threshold, can watch very disturbing images in movies and film (I don't watch horror or gratuitous violence, but I CAN), am empathic but am easily able to discriminate between my own feelings or vibes and someone elses and am good at handling other peoples' anger and conflict. Plus, I enjoy multitasking. Not really things HSP's are especially good at, I would imagine.

I've been raw less than 6 months, except when I cave into my addictions to bread, chocolate, and gourmet brown rices.

And in answer to question #3: I am more aware of certain things, so that it isn't hyper-sensitivity that makes Wal*Mart a horror, its an awareness of the robot-like, ignorant, consumer madness that I observe all around me that wears me out. There is a lot of sadness out there...THAT I am very sensitive to.

kewl thread,

khale

Date: August 02, 2007 01:44AM

Thanks to all who have responded so far. It's been enlightening!

Islandgirl, I've thought of myself as a bit autistic, too! Actually, I guess I am, because I birthed a kid with an autistic spectrum disorder (PDD). Interestingly, the book, _The Highly Sensitive Child_, is a better description and guide than any of the stuff I've read for PDD.

Khale, there are about as many ways to be HSP as there are HSP's. In fact, many share all of your non-sensitive traits (all you said about yourself is true of me as well, including the talent for multitasking). Before reading the book, I wouldn't have considered myself an HSP either, because people I did consider to be highly sensitive really got on my nerves. (I just wanted them to get a life!) But my mom hoisted it on me, so now I see how much in need of therapy I had been all these years without ever knowing it. But seriously, the workbook has been life-changing (although perhaps not for everyone).

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 02, 2007 02:02AM

I hope that this will not sound insensitive to the ears of Highly Sensitive People, but I'm not a big fan of therapy. I LOVE psychology, self-help, personal development and all of that, but I personally think ones' own work on oneself is much more effective than hours upon hours upon hours of "talk" therapy. Just from my own experience.

Someone should do a book on HUP (Highly Unusual People). THAT I could subscribe to!

And by the way Betty, I've really enjoyed your posts. You have a nice way about you.

khale

Date: August 02, 2007 02:28AM

Thanks Khale! I've never tried therapy, but it must work for some people. As for me, I'm a do-it-yourself girl as well.

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 02, 2007 02:35AM

Does Aaron's research make any correlations between HSP and allergies? Just wondering.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 02, 2007 03:45AM

khale Wrote:
> And in answer to question #3: I am more aware of
> certain things, so that it isn't hyper-sensitivity
> that makes Wal*Mart a horror, its an awareness of
> the robot-like, ignorant, consumer madness that I
> observe all around me that wears me out. There is
> a lot of sadness out there...THAT I am very
> sensitive to.
>
> kewl thread,
>
> khale
amen,i feel the same ....
patty

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 02, 2007 02:17PM

I have been high percentage raw for 10 months.

I got a sixteen. That feels right. I am a little bit sensitive. I started raw for health issues that I feel are directly related to my sensitivities. I have multi tasking skills as well. I am also socially outgoing. I do need lots of time at home in the country. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. Have you heard that song by Jewel that says "Be careful with me, I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way."? I love that line. I have designed my life to compliment my sensitivity and I wouldn't want to be any other way. The more I embrace it the more enlightened I feel. Sometimes I get sad though, but I let myself feel sad and than move on to the things that make me happy.

I think my score would have been the same before raw. I do think raw has made me cleaner and clearer so I am more able to pinpoint and focus on what is irritating me.

I haven't done a lot of reading on this but have been thinking about it for years. I am surrounded by sensitive people. My family is full of them. It strikes me funny that you should create this thread when I just told my nephew, who is staying with us, since he is so sensitive he would do really well on a raw diet. I kid you not, not even an hour ago.

Thanks Betty!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 02, 2007 02:24PM

it's funny-
i'm totally an HSP,
i'm not big on therapy
except self-awareness
and discovery

but i'm NOT the person that most people would identify as HSP.
like khale, introvert
but an introvert with strong extroverted coping mechanisms....

meaning i'm the chatterbug at a party, i'm the flirt and the laughing girl who tends to gather a crowd,
my favorite movie for many years was Reservoir Dogs (talk about violence)
but now is O Brother Where Art Thou? ( the music really gets me going)

i don't think HSP's have to be the highly nervous and tender creatures that many come across as, but can appear in different parts of the spectrum. but the information is very helpful when it comes to understanding my childhood, and my child. my sister has an austistic spectrum disorder, and i was her caretaker for many years... perhaps how i learned my extroverted coping skills...

but beyond all of that
is hidden
an HUP HSP.

peace-

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 03, 2007 02:52AM

I've never heard of this before!

I've been raw for a year and a half

Scored a 22

I can tolerate unpleasant noise stimuli better on raw, and am much more perceptive of peoples' energies now.

I like being this way, for the most part (except my morbid fear of medical procedures.) People sometimes mistake me as shy, which I'm not at all, it just takes me a little longer to acclimate to certain people (loud ones). I'm pretty outgoing - I do need alone time, but I also actively seek out the company of others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2007 02:56AM by sunshine79.

Posted by: Starglider ()
Date: August 03, 2007 01:51PM

Wow! What a great idea, Betty, I want to read the HSP book! I scored a 23 and am currently reading a book called The Introvert Advantage. (The first 1/3 of the book was very comforting and affirming to me. The rest isn't as insightful)

I am definitely an introvert who is highly affiliative--I need to talk to other people. I am an INFP (Introverted intuitive feeling perceiving) on the Myers-Briggs test which goes along with the multi-tasking others have mentioned. I seem to bounce from task to task before finishing any of them. Actually I am trying to calm down a bit and proceed more sequentially.

Mama Cass, I feel the same as you do: as I get more raw, I am more in tune with meeting my needs and following them (giving myself quiet time, going slower when I feel the need, etc.)

Betty, how do you feel being a HSP who teaches? I'm wondering how I will do in that regard since I hope to teach elementary school next year.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 04, 2007 02:41AM

I scored 26 out of 27. However, I've always been very sensitive and perceptive even prior to raw. I would just sense what to say or do to pacify a situation, etc. I could sense people's moods, character, etc. Having been told in childhood that I was not to judge people, my senses dulled in people judgement for years prior to raw.

Yesterday at the day job, it was pouring rain, thundering, and hailing. It was so loud that I couldn't work. I went to the window to watch the weather instead and almost jumped each time it thundered. I also sensed prior to the rain that it was going to rain. I literally felt the humidity drop and knew it was going to rain outside. Note that I was on the 7th floor of a high rise that didn't have any open windows and the air conditioner had been running the entire time. Also, the weather forecast was only slight chance of rain. I had left the windows at home open b/c I wasn't worried about the thought of rain. In fact, when I ran home earlier to get home to see what condition my furniture was in, I found that no rain has occurred. It was as dry as when I had left early morning. Whew!

Others at work were not as bothered by the storm as me. Most kept working right through.

I had no different reactions after the test/score than prior. I've been raw for about 3 years.

Date: August 04, 2007 04:44AM

> Betty, how do you feel being a HSP who teaches?
> I'm wondering how I will do in that regard since I
> hope to teach elementary school next year.

Starglider, yes this is a very good question. And the answer is...very carefully. I sometimes have to lock the door, turn out the lights, and lie very still during a break. My HSP master teacher taught me to do this when I student taught with her, and it has been invaluable to building myself up so I could face a room full of 7 year-olds again.

The first days of school are the most exhausting, because over the summer my nervous system's tolerance to the incredible amount of interactions one has in a classroom full of children decreases significantly. However, after the first week, I'm much more immune, although still exhausted at the end of the day. I just love the job so much, I can't even imagine doing anything else.

This was a big reason I wanted to eat raw food. I wanted to come home and still have energy for my dear son. Happily, I can say that as long as I follow some important guidelines (like Important Guideline #4: "No Impulsive Almond Eating", and #1: Get Enough Sleep), I do pretty well.

...And you will too! Just keep telling yourself: "Nothing worth doing is ever easy." It might not be true, but it really gets me through some rough spots.

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: Starglider ()
Date: August 06, 2007 02:16AM

Thank you, Betty! That is a great trick - turning off the lights and lying down. I just came off a weekend of camping with 2 other couples and 2 children. I found myself getting irritable and couldn't leave the weekend fast enough. It felt so nice to just be with my husband again.

You've allayed my fears about the teaching thing. I know I'll be exhausted. Luckily I don't have any kids of my own, so I will hopefully be able to recharge during my days off. I love the lesson planning phase too...

Cheers!

Date: August 06, 2007 03:06AM

islandgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Aaron's research make any correlations
> between HSP and allergies? Just wondering.

Islandgirl,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I don't remember whether Aron mentions allergies, but she does say that HSP's are often sensitive on all levels: emotionally, mentally and physically. So I guess it stands to reason that they'd be connected.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 06, 2007 03:26AM

Starglider Wrote:
> You've allayed my fears about the teaching thing.
> I know I'll be exhausted. Luckily I don't have any
> kids of my own, so I will hopefully be able to
> recharge during my days off. I love the lesson
> planning phase too...
>
> Cheers!

ROTFLMAO because i know you`ll need recharging! might be the best of birth control ever..being a teacher... you`ll love it. those smiles and hugs and innocent eyes make it all worthwhile
patty

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: August 06, 2007 03:57AM

HSP = Highly intelligent, honest, kind, and sane grown-up doing time in an upside down, chaotic world dominated by stunted mental growth and the thuggish culture of consumer greed. If HSPs had the world in their hands, it would undoubtedly be a much better place. One of modern America's greatest tragedies is that HSPs are considered "weird" or "different" and in need of counseling. UGH. HSP should be the admired norm. We should be setting the asylum straight. What do you suppose a fella like GW would score on this test? Negative 666 billion? I scored a 26 by the waysmiling smiley

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: August 07, 2007 11:40PM

2+ years raw
score: 7

Am I even alive?

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables