Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wearing bras... pro or con?
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: August 23, 2007 08:20AM

For all the health conscious women like myself.
However minuscule it may seem, this is just something that has often come to mind.. =)
I wonder about wearing bras sometimes. I have heard that they can be a risk factor for causing breast cancer. Presumably having to do with the restriction of circulation and maybe the materials they are made out of?

However I have ALSO heard that bras are important for keeping the goods from sagging later in life =)

so... I usually wear one all the time except when sleeping. Do you? What do you think?

hah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wearing bras... pro or con?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 23, 2007 10:44AM

I read that a study showed that there was little difference in breast cancer rates in women who wore a bra from never up to 12 hours a day.

But longer than that, the rate increased dramatically. I don't know if it's accurate of course.

Lymph circulation is restricted. If you use scented laundry products, the chemicals are being absorbed through your skin all the time you're wearing it. Underwires might interfere with finer energies in your body.

But who doesn't love a good bra? I undo mine or take it off whenever possible, for comfort mostly.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 23, 2007 06:05PM

i wonder if the risk includes bra "tops". like the tanks and tees with built in bras? i often do fall asleep with a bra top on if i am very sleepy. which i usually am winking smiley

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 24, 2007 07:55AM

I've completely stopped wearing them for about, well, almost forever!

I have quite a small frame, and any sort of pressure around my neck or back drives me insane! To make sure I don't end up 'sagging' later in life, I do a tonne of chest exercises and also use ice cold water on my chest in the bath/shower (an old French trick, apparently!).

If I wear something that might be a bit revealing, I'll wear a camisole type top, but even that has me itching to get rid of it! Maybe deep down I want to be nude, LOL!!!

In my old job, I had to stand up ALL day. Having a bra or fitted camisole caused me to stoop slightly.

Try going without one for a week or so, and then put one on. Painnnnn!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 01, 2007 03:43PM

I don't even want to see myself bra-less! Really..after 2 and 1/2 years of breastfeeding, and my poor SAD for years, has caused my breasts to never deflatesmiling smiley They are heavy and need that support for now. Gosh..if I ever got thin on the raw foods diet I would probably need a boob job!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 04, 2007 05:13AM

well, there are the ones with those underwire frames which i don't wear because of the reasons aforementioned

however, there are those that don't have those horrible underwire frames and i get those

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 05, 2007 02:12AM

I wear an underwire to give my frame a little 'oomph', but I do qigong, exercise and fast, which cleans out my lymph system, so I'm not worried about it.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 05, 2007 09:20PM

i never even thought about this till i saw this thread. i were push up bras, bra tops, or nothing, depending on the occasion and the outfit.

of course the most comfy is no bra, for me. unless i am running.

so what gives? am i going to get cancer or what? if any one has any info i would be very interested to hear it.

and i mean that sincerely. i am not trying to sound sarcastic, really. i would love to hear some info.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 08, 2007 05:16AM

Sorry..I didn't even see this thread when I made mine about my....problem.

In my case, it was the messed up wire that I continued to wear to give me a nice hard lump that gives me the "uh oh" anxiety attack everytime I think about it or touch it.
But I've also read that wires in general give the "lumpy breast" or fibro..thing. Bra stores are making money on the fact that so many women are apparently wearing the wrong size.. Those same women wearing the wrong size like too small are probably the same ones who get the cancer... Probably me.

Date: September 08, 2007 06:04PM

interesting thoughts.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:57PM

Since your lymphatic flow is so important, it makes sense to me that any too tight bra (or too tight anything around the armpit or shoulder) would not be very good for you.

Ever since I had breast cancer I have been bra-less, I had a mastectomy, and the side where my breast used to be got treated with radiation, which made the skin very sensitive, so it was uncomfortable. But I went in for a fitting for a mastectomy bra today, and WOW, it was really comfortable (expensive too, that fake boob will be more than $300.00 !!! PLUS the price of the special bra!)

I don't know if I will wear it all the time, but I'm really sick of wearing vests all the time so nobody notices how lop-sided I am.

I think bras are good, but you should get a proper fitting - my sister had one and was shocked to find out she had been wearing the wrong size altogether!

Sapphire

Date: September 19, 2007 09:10PM

Sapphire, did you also eliminate underarm products and scented laundry products?

When I find a bra that fits comfortably I buy lots of them in different colours. I hate most shopping and it saves me time spent in a mall. The company has usually discontinued the one I like by the time I need to buy more, so I go on another long hunt.

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: September 20, 2007 02:23AM

does anyone know of a good bra company/seller that has bras without the "bad" materials? or non-synthetic I guess I should say?
I have yet to find good fitting, cute bra that is worry-free.

Date: September 20, 2007 04:38AM

I think I'll launch a bra line using coconut shells. They could be lined with sphagnum moss for comfort and held up with straps of chewed reeds.Not sure how we would get into them in the morning or how long it would take to get dressed, but we would show those bra companies with unpronounceable synthetics in their products that we don't want to pollute our skins with the off-gassing.

Actually vegcase, I have looked, but would have to buy one off the internet,

Here's one place:

[www.rawganique.com]

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 20, 2007 04:52AM

aquadecoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sapphire, did you also eliminate underarm products
> and scented laundry products?
>
>
>

Absolutely!

I have so many friends these days who are also survivors, and it never fails to surprise me how many of them have changed nothing about their lives. I don't know exactly what was wrong with my life before, could be any number of things, but the evidence that something needed improvement seems pretty clear, so I have changed many things and am striving to change even more. Time will tell if I am changing the right things, but at least I'm trying to do something!

So many good ideas on this board, I love it!

Sapphire

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:55PM

[www.bluecanoe.com]

I love these bras. I wish I could afford to buy several.

Date: September 21, 2007 06:53AM

AQUA--can i buy one of your coconut shell bras?!?!?!?

lol!

Posted by: marnacla ()
Date: September 22, 2007 10:03PM

I stopped wearing mine after I read the study someone mentioned earlier. I'm 52 and my breasts are fuller now than 10 years ago. I run, rebound, etc. without my bra and have gotten used to bouncing around. Without some movement the muscles will atrophy. Personally, I think bras are another way for big corporations to make money, after all, isn't that usually the bottom line?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables