Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

St Johns Wort
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 26, 2007 02:14PM

Anyone have any experience with this herb being used in suntea?

I am desperate for anything that will help with my depression currently.However have now read it can cause dizzyness and sun sensitivity..so am a bit weary..

Any recommendations or advice would be appriciated.... or have I wasted £1 buying it!!

Thank you

Raw_dancer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Johns Wort
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 26, 2007 05:15PM

I was going to try it a few years ago, but I never wound up doing so, I read different opinions about it and one of them said that the amount effective chemicals in it varied widely, so the results weren't predictable.

I also read first hand accounts on the internet that it worked if you only had depression, but that it made Depersonalization (an anxiety disorder) worse.

But that could be true for all herbs.

I do know one person with depression who used it with success.

Sorry, just realized you asked about SUNTEA. I don't know ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2007 05:27PM by aquadecoco.

Date: August 27, 2007 01:17PM

Thanks for the response, I figure since its so cheap I havent got much to loose.

Says to take it 4 times a day. I have had a few infusions so far, not felt bad, a bit dizzy but thats probably from lack of food rather than the st johns.

Thanks anyway

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:45PM

Sorry, my post didn't make sense because I inserted a clause dividing in the wrong place.

I meant to say that the effective chemical content of all herbs may vary.

Some herbs don't act noticeably, but I read comments that SJ's wort has some punch so maybe that is why you're dizzy.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 27, 2007 07:24PM

be careful. i had a grand mal seizure years ago that possibly could have been the result of taking st. john's wort. possibly.

herbal supplements in pill/unnatural form, are dangerous the same way main stream meds are dangerous. you never know how your body or mind will react to them. especially a mind altering substance like st. john's wort. even if it is only SLIGHTLY mind altering. it is mind altering nonetheless.

Date: August 28, 2007 05:37PM

Thanks for the heads up

Wasnt really sure if I felt dizzy from it from not eating for days. Ah well. Was worth a try. I will stop now..bit worried after you saying that!

I am just using the plant to make suntea. I will ask the doctor about it tommorow

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 28, 2007 06:21PM

after my seizure i went through loads of tests and neurologists trying to find out why i had it. they could find nothing wrong with me. then my mom did her own research and she found a medical journal that documented A case where a person had a grand mal seizure from drinking red wine with st. johns wort. this is the only thing i could come up with myself as to why i had a grand mal. but the doctors could find no reason.

i also want to mention that my mom speaks fluent russian, and the med journal she found it in was russian and the documented case was in a volume that was published before the fall of the ussr.

good luck.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 29, 2007 03:35PM

Herbs can be very good for you, but since you are not really eating much as you stated, they can be too strong for you to take right now.

You might try getting all the minerals your body needs with foods, and if you aren't eating seafoods like dulse or nori daily you might consider supplementing with iodine. You might want to consider doing some research on essential nutrients, like the B vitamins, iron, iodine, etc. You might try taking something like a liquid B vitamin which can be found at the health food stores. Give it a week, see how you feel, then try a multi-mineral tablet, etc.

You are young, you are on the right course now searching for answers to health questions, problems, etc. You are so lucky!

Love,
Prism

Date: August 29, 2007 08:09PM

Thank you Prism. I cannot afford much right now. I just have enough for travel to work. So cant really get any supplements right now. The St Johns wort was only £1 so I thought worth a try.

Maybe I will try halving the amount, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables