Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Quality Produce Hard to Find
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:12PM

It seem that quality produce is becoming more scarce. I read somewhere that there is not enough fruits and vegetables produced for everyone to eat the USDA recommendations. That is a bit scary.

In the US we have high rates of what are called the Western diseases. Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension, OBESITY, cancers, Heart disease, arthritis ADHD, Autism is now epidemic. I think we are in bad shape in part because of our food supply.

I am also concerned about all the imported produce that goes uninspected but still is sold here in the US.

I am also concerned about how food is grown here.

I would advocate that people express this concern to their elected officials.

Comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quality Produce Hard to Find
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:20PM

True. Actually it IS very scary, because the way the world food supply is set up right now there would be mass starvation without grains. I think that is one reason they still put grains as the largest part of the food pyramid, it is the most abundant food and we are dependent on it right now.

I belong to a couple of organizations that send me emails and sometimes they suggest I take action by sending one of the emails along with edits of my own. Things like requesting more support for organic farmers.

Good topic!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:36PM

this seems like a good initiative to support .. and you can do it on your own .. plant a fruit tree !

[www.fruittreefoundation.org]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 12, 2007 07:37PM

I wish I could have a garden. Maybe if more cities had community gardens things would be better. Like the victory gardens in the 1940's.

I have written to several senators about the produce problem and how it effects our nation's health. They never wrote back.

Date: October 12, 2007 07:47PM

we should all bring back victory gardens .. i really miss seeing the veggie an fruit gardens out front of peoples houses ..now thats living !

you dont need to own property to plant on it .. just go plant one somewhere reasonably safe from being torn out ! grinning smiley cant hurt?

Date: October 12, 2007 07:59PM

I am going to try a patio garden. Lettuce should be easy.

I also cannot get escarole here so I may try growing that too.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 12, 2007 08:10PM

I saw a GREAT news story the other day.

In the older area of the city I live in, there are a lot of properties with mature fruit trees in their yards. One day, somebody observed that a lot of these fruits never got picked or used, sometimes because the people in those homes were elderly, or busy, or for whatever reason.

So they formed a group. Now anyone in our town who has fruit trees that they don't want to pick the fruit from themselves, can call this group. A bunch of people will show up, pick as much of the ripe fruit as possible, the homeowner can keep as much as they want, and the rest goes back to the pickers and the community (mostly to the food bank, I think). I love this, and I wish I had been the genius who came up with this. EVERYBODY WINS! I think it's even good for the fruit trees! How often does that happen! (and most if not all of this fruit would be organic by default!)

I wonder how many other cities would benefit from an idea like this!

Sapphire

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 12, 2007 08:15PM

You know, I think this is interesting - I am going to post it on the main forum, more people read that, and might want to think about it!

Sapphire

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 12, 2007 08:17PM

Sapphire, is there a link to that story?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 12, 2007 10:01PM

Community gardening is a wonderful way to get quality produce. We've had several organic community gardens here in Cambridge for a few decades, and I'm next on a waiting list to grow my own produce this coming spring at one that's only about 3 blocks from my house. Balldeza, if you don't have community plots in your city yet, maybe you can help get one started-- go to your City Council or ask around and start the ball rolling. People would probably come out of the woodwork and soon you'd be growing your own food!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 12, 2007 10:06PM

our victory gardens dont have to be about war either smiling smiley

how about VICTORY for gaining GOOD HEALTH !

Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: October 13, 2007 01:00AM

i saw an article in the newspaper about a couple turning their whole yard...front and back...into a garden. i thought that was a great idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables