Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Losing My Hair
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 24, 2007 04:43PM

I have been raw for about 7/8 months now and I am currently losing hair in a massive way. My hair is falling out in chunks and I am beginning to see bald spots. As a result I am freaking out which is not helping the situation….
Does anyone have any advice in regards to this? I have recently bought MSM but would like further information in regards to this.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it lack of protein? Lack of Iron?
Help me please!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Losing My Hair
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 24, 2007 05:50PM

What is your diet like? Do you include greens?

It might be best to go to your health practitioner and get your vitamin and mineral levels checked out.

Date: October 24, 2007 05:52PM

My diet is full of raw vegetables and fruits. The only thing that I can think of that I am lacking is proteins... currently i have no medical insurance. THat is a problem all unto itself!

Date: October 24, 2007 06:13PM

I would suggest posting your question on the Living and Raw Foods Discussion (Vegan) main forum and you will get a lot more answers.

Vegetables and fruits have lots of protein because protein is made up of amino acids and they are in veggies and fruit. For example, a banana has all eight essential amino acids. So, unless a person is eating grains or too many nuts to inhibit the assimilation of the protein - a raw vegan diet provides lotsa protein.

The thing that came to mind for me was Vitamin B12 deficiency, but if that occurs it usually takes years to develop. You could take a B complex vitamin to play it safe. Also, do you have other symptoms? Are you tired or mentally confused?

But there are so many possibilities. It could be due to your thyroid. Do you eat soy (bad for the thyroid)? It could be hormonal. Are you a woman?

Date: October 24, 2007 07:56PM

OK, posted to main forum.

Here is the low down... I pretty much have a diet that soley consists of fruits and veggies of all colors. Although I try to watch my nut intake, I do tend to eat nuts and dried fruits often. I have no other symptoms that I know of, however now that i think about it I have not had a regular menses in almost 2 years. The last time I was at a doctor he recommended that I have hormone testing done, but without medical insurance I do not forsee that happening in my immediate future. Otherwise, I would like to think I am healthy for the most part. I do not eat any soy, and I have no thyroid problems. I have been tested for that. Could it be a lack of iron as well?

Thanks for your response I do appreciate it.

Date: October 24, 2007 08:22PM

Iron deficiency is a possibility, although since you haven't had a menses in a couple of years at least you aren't losing iron that way. Here is a thread on iron that might help [www.rawfoodsupport.com].

How about a saliva hormone test? You can google and find those online. They range from $50 to about $150, depending on how many hormones you check.

You might try avoiding nuts and dried fruits for 3 - 5 days and see if you feel better then.

I thought I would also include a couple of articles on raw food eating by Karen Knowler that I like.

[karenknowler.typepad.com]

[karenknowler.typepad.com]

Good luck, I certainly hope you figure it out and soon!

Date: October 25, 2007 03:49PM

Thank you all for the plethera of information. I have gone out and purchased 1500 mg of MSM, 28mg. iron and 100mg of a B complex.Vitamins are something I have been entirely opposed to but at this point I am willing to try anything if it keeps the hair on my head. In regards to balding areas, the spots are more or less just thinning out.

I will update with my progress on these supplements in another week... keeping my fingers crossed!

Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:51PM

If you haven't had regular periods in a couple years you may be going through menopause. How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? Hair thinning is really typical when women go through perimenopause and menopause. But that doesn't mean you should give up. Use the MSM. When my hair was thinning dramatically due to perimenopause, I used MSM, and now within 6 months I have tons of new hair growth.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 10, 2007 06:48AM

it could be that all that sugar from sweet fruits is spilling over so yeasts (candida) take over and help metabolize all the sugar... it could be that candida yeast overgrow in and around hair follicles causing inflammation resulting in hair loss.

i dont think any humans are adapted to a diet based on sweet fruits. and nuts tend to be high in omega 6s and can cause an imbalance of omega 6/3 which furthers insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: November 11, 2007 12:46AM

Try supplementing with hemp protein?

Date: November 14, 2007 06:33AM

Hi there -

Is your hair dry??? If so, you could be missing oil. Do you take/eat oil? Fat is necessary for lots of major body functions including brain, nerves, skin and hair.

Of course it has to be the right kind of oil. Flax seed oil is great. 1tablespoon in the am and one in the pm would be good. YOu could also add 1 more at lunchtime.

I'm wishing you peace,
Rosey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables