Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rebounding and the Lymph System
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 05, 2006 02:07AM

Ok Folks,

Stop sitting on the fence. Here's the info you need to get you up and motivate you to purchase a quality rebounder.

One of rebounding's special benefits is its ability to improve flow in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is the metabolic garbage can of the body. It rids the body of toxins, fatigue substances, dead cells, cancer cells, nitrogenous wastes, trapped protein, fatty globules, pathogenic bacteria, infectious viruses, foreign substances, heavy metals, and other assorted junk the cells cast off.

Stagnant or inadequate lymph flow is associated with the onset of many symptoms and illnesses, including bursitis in the shoulders, bunions, joint stiffness or soft tissue spasms, dry flaking skin, bad breath, body odors, lethargy, depression, and cancer. Unlike the circulatory system with the heart as its pump, the lymph system lacks a pump to move the fluid. It is vital that the lymph fluids continue to flow in order to eliminate waste from the body. The flow is dependent on muscle contractions and body movements, massage and other forms of compression, and gravity. One of the best ways to stimulate this flow is by exercising.
The lymph system consists of lymph nodes which are clusters of immune tissue that work as filters or "inspection stations" for detecting foreign and potentially harmful substances in the lymph fluid. Acting like spongy filter bags, lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, which is the body's master drain. While the body has many dozens of lymph nodes, they are mostly clustered in the neck, armpits, chest, groin, and abdomen.
lymph nodes

Lymph fluid (1-2 quarts) accounts for 1-3% of body weight. Exercise can increase lymph flow by 15 times.

Rebounding Stimulates The Lymph

Rebounding specifically stimulates the flow of lymph fluid. The change in gravitational forces experienced during rebounding allows for greater blood flow, which in turn increases the amount of waste products flushed from cells.

"The lymphatic [flow] becomes very active during exercise but sluggish under resting conditions," states Arthur C. Guyton, M.D., chairman of the department of Physiology and Biophysics at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine and author of Basic Human Physiology. "During exercise, the rate of lymph flow can increase to as high as 14 times normal because of the increased activity." This happens because the lymph ducts expand during rebounding. The increased lymph flow flushes more toxins through the lymphatic system.
Rebounding Has Anti-Aging Benefits

One of the primary causes of the physical deterioration associated with aging is the declining performance of the heart and circulatory system. The pumping force of the heart decreases by 8% per decade in adulthood; lung capacity decreases, muscles lose strength, reaction time slows, and bones lose their mineral content. Exercise can help halt or at least slow this aging process.

"So many people 'rust' out before they wear out because they fail to realize that the human body was made to be used for as long as the person lives," says Robert E. Wear, M.D., an exercise physiologist at the University of New Hampshire who has designed exercise programs for nursing homes.
Regular exercise helps prevent clogging of the arteries and lessening of cardiac performance. Exercises like rebounding that work the leg muscles help keep the blood moving. The contractions of these muscles (the calf muscles in particular) during exercise act like pumps to circulate the blood back up to the heart for fresh oxygen.

rebounding for everyone

The decreases in mental abilities and reaction time that often come with aging are caused only partially by the lessening of heart function. Rebounding stimulates the brain and visual cortex during exercise to maintain balance and coordination. Animal studies have shown that exercise can increase enzyme activity in the brain and cause other positive functional changes in the nervous system.

Aerobics can strengthen heart muscles and produce other cardiovascular changes so that the heart can pump more blood with fewer beats. This means your resting (normal) heart rate will be lower, which is good. By regularly working your heart harder during exercise, you improve its overall function so that it doesn't have to work as hard during your normal activities.

A conditioned person may have a resting heart rate 20 beats per minute slower than a deconditioned person. He saves 10,000 beats in one night's sleep. Reducing the day-to-day workload of your heart can lessen your chances of developing heart disease.

Rebounding Good For Blood And Lungs

Aerobic exercises such as rebounding increase red blood cell count, allowing faster oxygen transport through the body, and can help lower elevated blood pressure. Aerobic exercise helps dissolve blood clots and increases the amount of high-density lipoproteins (HDL, the so-called "good" cholesterol and a major factor in the prevention of atherosclerosis) in the blood.
rebouding for children

The capacity of the lungs also increases, enabling them to process more air and replenish oxygen in the cells of the body's tissues and organs more quickly. Metabolism (conversion of food into energy) is enhanced and you tend to absorb nutrients from your food more efficiently. Any tendency towards constipation, kidney stones, or diabetes is reduced by this form of exercise.

Regular exercise not only improves your health, it may extend your life. Two recent studies show a strong link between exercise and a decline in mortality rates. They show that engaging in physical activity, no matter what your age or how often you exercise, lowers your risk of early death.
Rebounding Is For People Of All Ages

Overall, after adjusting for the mortality-increasing effects of chronic illnesses, cigarette smoking, and other factors, the authors reported that, nonetheless, there exists "a strong inverse association between risk of all-cause mortality and level of physical fitness in both men and women." In other words, higher levels of fitness translate into a longer life.

Men who were physically active were at a lower risk of death from all causes than were sedentary ones, but this relationship was not as pronounced for women. Risk of death specifically from cancer dropped sharply as fitness levels increased for men; with women, while the same trend was present, the differences were less pronounced.

Older women can benefit significantly from regular exercise. In one of the largest studies of its kind involving women, the University of Minnesota School of Public Health looked at the physical activity levels of 40,417 postmenopausal women in Iowa. The women ranged in age from 55 to 69 and were followed for seven years.

The researchers found that women who exercised frequently (at least four times per week) and intensely could reduce their risk of premature death by as much as 30%. Even those women who exercised relatively infrequently-once per week-still showed decreased mortality from all causes, the study reported. Exercising more frequently and with more intensity led to greater reductions in mortality, the researchers concluded.

Disclaimer: Throughout this website, statements are made pertaining to the properties and/or functions of food and/or nutritional products. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and these materials and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

© 2005 by Marc Leduc

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebounding and the Lymph System
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 28, 2006 06:45AM

I love rebounding!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2006 10:42PM

Thanks for the reminder -- I have a rebounder, but usually I'm too lazy or just forget about it.

Date: May 29, 2006 03:09AM

Lois,

If you have a rebounder you should check out some of the videos offerred by urbanrebounding. Their programs are the best. It's funny but I noticed a new competitor to urban rebounding but they have nothing on JB Berns product or videos. Their rebounder was a cheap knockoff with elastic bands replacing the steel springs. The videos looked totally hokey and poorly made with a lame routine.

JB's videos, can be found here:

[secure.cmorgan.com]. Check out the "compilation dvd's". These are the better deal because they contain three or four workouts on each dvd. I have JB's platinum series and they totally rawk!

Cheers,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 11, 2006 07:11PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a great article on rebounding. Rebounding is not a new concept for me, I first heard about it many years ago when I first read Fit for Life and I've read countless more articles on it ever since. Unfortunately though I have never owned a rebounder.

However just the other day a friend of mine was cleaning out her basement and offered me an old cheap rebounder that she had picked up at a yard sale. It's in good shape but it's one that probably cost about $25.00 new.

Do you think using a NOT quality rebounder would still have it's benefits? Or should I hold out for a good quality one (like I've been doing forever!)

Thanks,

Echo

Date: June 12, 2006 07:09PM

Echo,

I'd recommend that you hold out for either an urban rebounder or a needak. Both are very good and have strong, steel springs to absorb the shock. I've noticed another infomercial on the tube that tries to promote their "rebounder" as better because it doesn't have any springs that you can get hurt on. Instead they use stupid elastic loops that are subject to wear and tear and breakage. Urban rebounding even offers you payment options on their website and I love the fact that it's portable.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 13, 2006 03:42AM

what is a rebounder!?!?

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 25, 2006 04:57PM

I'm in the market for a rebounder. The Urban is considerably cheaper than the Needak...anyone have any idea why? Anyone here own an Urban Rebounder? Are you happy with it?

If the Urban is just as good as the Needak, I can buy one a lot sooner, which would be awesome.

~K

Date: June 26, 2006 06:08PM

I have one and love it. When I was comparing the two both before and after purchase I noted that the two are built almost alike. Both have very strong steel springs and good construction. With the urban rebounder you have access to a whole series of videos that will help you get the most out of your rebounder as well. The reason the urban rebounder is less is because it's not a big, name brand. Also, J.B. Berns chooses to set the price where he has it because he wants you to purchase the videos as well. Also, he offers a payment plan, which needak doesn't.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 27, 2006 01:34PM

Thank you Marco. I appreciate the info.

~K

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: August 02, 2006 04:48PM

"Men who were physically active were at a lower risk of death from all causes than were sedentary ones, but this relationship was not as pronounced for women. Risk of death specifically from cancer dropped sharply as fitness levels increased for men; with women, while the same trend was present, the differences were less pronounced."

Was this also true if people didn't consider themselves 'men' or 'women.?' What about androgynous people, hermaphrodites, or non-op transexuals?

Date: August 13, 2006 08:34PM

Hello again Mark,

I'm wondering now that you've had your urban rebounder for awhile if you still like it?

I was doing some research on the net trying to get an unbiased opinion on whether the urban rebounder is truly as good as the needak. I found info that rated the urban rebounder the absolute best on the market. Other sites claim that Needak is far superior in every way and there are even sites that claim that ReboundAir is the best.

I also stumbled on some testimonials for the urban rebounder that weren't so glowing. A lot of comments mentioned it was a royal pain (you know where) to fold the thing up so people were just leaving it open all the time. And other comments mentioned that it was extremely noisy because the springs were squeaky. Of course there were good testimonials as well.

Needak is a far pricier unit but if it would stand up much longer than the Urban rebounder than in the long run it would be a better deal. On the other hand Urban is more affordable, which makes it more appealing because I could own one sooner but even though it's not a great deal of money I don't want to end up with a piece of junk that's going to be in my next yard sale.

So Mark, the question is are you really happy with your purchase or do you wish you went for the Needak?

Anyone else want to weigh in? What brand do you own and are you happy with it?

Thanks!
Echo

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 14, 2006 06:00AM

I am so impressed with this thread. Most people are blissfully unaware of their lymphatic system, and have no idea how to maintain it or even the fact that it is so very critical. It is very important - I found out the hard way - I had the lymph nodes in my left armpit removed when I had breast cancer, and subsequentally developed a condition called lymphedema - do an images search on the internet, it isn't pretty. So far, in my case, it is barely noticeable, but I see that this can become quite bad.

Try not to get too worried about just what it takes to stimulate your lymphatic system. You can buy one of those super expensive rebounders, and if you are looking for an all around exercise program, that is probably the best way to go. But if you are simply concerned with your lymphatic system, you can use the cheapest one going. You can bounce on the bed (remember being a kid?), You can find the nearest neighborhood trampoline. You can even take one of those exercise balls, and sit on it, rather than the couch, next time you want to watch something on TV, and bounce on it like crazy. You can even dance around the room, shaking your limbs up and down like a mad person - that ought to work! Have fun if you can, it will keep you motivated!

I know several people who have swelling in their hands and feet who have never been through what I have been through. They just get this from an all-around lack of proper care, and it really makes me sad. This is so easily preventable, yet once you develop a problem it is practically (and maybe totally) impossible to reverse. (Sort of like after you blow up a balloon - you can take the air out, but it never really goes back to the original shape.)

Stay safe, stay healthy,

Sapphire

Date: August 14, 2006 04:02PM

Thanks Sapphire, that's good advice!

Date: August 14, 2006 04:13PM

Echo,

I'm very happy with my Urban Rebounder. I don't have a problem folding. It did give me a little trouble the first time but that's because the dang thing is so darn well made and I wasn't following the instructions for folding it back up. It's very sturdily made and I don't wish that I had gone with a needak. Personally, this is a very good rebounder that, in my opinion, is comparable to a needak rebounder. What you have with Needak is a name branding. Within the rebounding community everyone knows that Needak stands for quality and this is why it's a bit more expensive. However, JB Berns spared no expense in creating his urban rebounder so all I can say is that I'm very happy with my purchase and the variety of dvd's and exercises to choose from. This thing rocks.

Peace,

Marcos

Date: January 24, 2007 05:35AM

I've owned an Urban Rebounder for 8 months and I love it. I also took quite a while comparing rebounders online, asking for testimonies on different boards, etc. I am very happy with my purchase.

Also, I am still quite overweight and am not afraid to use it or afraid it will break on me!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 16, 2007 06:13AM

rawmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have one and love it. When I was comparing the
> two both before and after purchase I noted that
> the two are built almost alike. Both have very
> strong steel springs and good construction. With
> the urban rebounder you have access to a whole
> series of videos that will help you get the most
> out of your rebounder as well. The reason the
> urban rebounder is less is because it's not a big,
> name brand. Also, J.B. Berns chooses to set the
> price where he has it because he wants you to
> purchase the videos as well. Also, he offers a
> payment plan, which needak doesn't.
>

Is this really the only difference?

I'm finally giving in and getting one. After my last fast, I'm feeling even more hard lymphnode balls under my skin. I originally was going to get the Needak just because it seems better just because I see it being sold on reputable/trustworthy health/raw sites.

I first saw the Urban Rebounder on HSN and IMO they sell a lot of junk..lol

I read somewhere a while ago that the Needak was the best because of how tight everything is which makes it the best for the lymphnodes. Haven't seen much on the Urban for lymphnodes.. more like a regular excercise product informercial. like it's a regular mini trampoline that you can get for $20 at Walmart.

What's the cheapest price to find the Needak anyway? So far I'm seeing it for an average of $220 (includes shipping).

Date: March 22, 2007 05:08AM

Hello, I am new to all of this but have found this site so educational; does anyone have any views on the rebounder and the Epstein Barr virus?

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:24PM

Has anyone had exerience with the Cellerciser compared to the Needak and Urban Rebounder? The Cellerciser claims they have better springs: that their rebounder is truly low/no impact and others actually bottom out and have impact and can cause injury.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables