Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fasting and overeating
Posted by: cy ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:28AM

I have to say that every time I decide to fasting I can only do for 2 to 3 days,sometimes even 1 1/2 day because I get crazy. Or I get starving or I start to pity myself and feel sorry for the "poor me hungry".
it is psychologic I know but I can't stop that.
Does anyone feel the same? I'm trying to work this out with myself, but again,didn't work. I did start fasting on Sunday and today I got crazy again and even ate a piece of my husband's cheese pizza.Now I'm feeling awful and angry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fasting and overeating
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:42AM

what were you doing while fasting? if you were doing anything but resting ie: going about your normal day to day activities , you were not fasting , you are right you are starving smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 21, 2007 01:34AM

Hi Jodi,can't I fasting and work at the same time? Do I have to rest?
I was trying, again, to do the lemonaded diet fast. I would like to do 10 days but again,I did 2 1/2 days.

Date: November 21, 2007 01:47AM

fasting should always be done when you have the time to completely rest .. that is the point of fasting

to clean out the body and give it a chance to rest and rejuvinate

when you work your body needs fuel

when i say work i mean any activitity that requires you to get up and exert yourself

really if you think of our bodies like a vehicle ..we need fuel to run .. you can not run on no fuel (carbs proteins fats)

when you are not getting fuel .. you should not be running the vehicle ,

see what i mean?

you will just burn out the engine and cause damage smiling smiley

Date: November 21, 2007 02:54AM

yes,you are completly right. I'll do that on my vacation,maybe I'll take a week off and just sleep,read and fasting. Thank you Jodi.

Posted by: karriebean ()
Date: November 21, 2007 10:08AM

i wasn't aware that fasting required serious downtime either.

i tried the lemonade fast a few months ago and only made it three days myself. it is tough, resting or not. resting just gives you more time to think about how hungry you are.... i think it takes total determination and/or a very strong mind.

i have read though that once you get past a certain point, you aren't hungry any longer. though, speaking for myself, i don't just eat to satisfy hunger...

~karrie

Date: November 21, 2007 10:17AM

the lemonade thing is not a fast , in fact its misnamed absolutely

its a flush

flushing your body is using ingredients to excellerate flushing toxins from your body

fasting stops all the digestive stress and gives everything from your mouth to your exit a chance to relax and rest and heal , along with your vital organs

when you are fasting your body doesnt need to worry about digesting and processing

using lemonaids and other things isnt considered a fast because you are adding things to your system that your body has to process , assimilate and eliminate

smiling smiley

the word juice fast is tossed around alot too, but again anything added to the body needs to be processed , truley a fast is nothing but rest and water

trying to work or carry about your day as normal while fasting you will find you will feel dizzy, weak , nauseated , headachey .. those are signs of low fuel in the engine !

the reason the lemonaide diet flush thing has maple syrup in it is to provide a source of energy .. some people really cant handle that kinda pure 100% sugar hit and i think the folks that can only do it for 2 or 3 days should count themselves lucky their bodies are telling them to quit, because really that kinda up an down sugar crashing isnt really good for most

on a true fast on rest and water you will flush things from your system because your system is given the chance to just deal with what the waste inside you is already there .. without adding more crud to deal with from lemons, cayanne and maple syrup

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 10:21AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 21, 2007 04:32PM

Hi cy,
Yes, unfortunately, water fasting almost always requires some serious down-time. ;-/ It can even be quite boring. I wish it wasn't so, because I just have too much to do. However, you can juice fast or do the MasterCleanse while still 'having a life'.;-p (Personally, I'd recommend a juice fast over lemonade made with maple syrup, but that's just me.) A week-long juice fast is wonderful preparation for a later water fast, too! I've done quite a few long juice fasts (28 and 40 days), and despite being active and even working out at the time, they were amazing!-- I felt so good and had so much energy (even for running) I didn't want to stop fasting.

But, when I water fast, after a day or two, I simply cannot function at all. I get very weak and I am forced to go to bed most of the time. It's best to really wait till you have the time to rest throughout your fast, because the temptation to jump off the fast and start eating again is almost overwhelming if you stay active (believe me, I've been there!), and it's very counter-productive and unhealthy.

Oh-- one more incentive to do a water fast: while it can be boring at first, after you really get into it for a few days (I'm talking about more than 3 days) you start to get this inner 'glow' and despite feeling weak and physically out of it some of the time, internally you begin to feel very connected to your Inner Being. This is when it gets very easy to meditate and go within to the Inner Planes. I can't recommend it enough. I'm looking forward to doing a long water fast starting at the end of next week, and it's the prospect of getting into that space once again that motivates me, because without it I'd be bored out of my mind.

Good luck!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 21, 2007 04:34PM

I think those juice-type cleanses were invented so people could go on with their daily activities while giving their systems a respite from regular digestion.

Some people can perform normally while on juice cleanses/flushes, but not me.

Date: November 21, 2007 04:44PM

Jodi you really explained to me the difference. I've read that but I never really got it.I was always trying to do everything while flushing my body with juice or lemonade fast or even water.I had 3 day fast with water and I was working normally.Wrong !!! Now I know that my stremly hunger was right.
Like Karrie,I don't eat to satisfy hunger,but to satisfy my problems and ansieties.

Last night I dreamed that my brother came to visited us and I bought a lot of food,a lot,a lot and gave to him.
He was in one side of the room with a huge table covered with the food and my husband and I were in the other side and I was telling my brother to make a meal to my husband. (my brother is an excellent cook).and in a certain point I screamed at my brother saying that I brought him so much food that at least he could do a meal to my husband.
(food on my dreams,food making me angry and dividing everyone,food as anything but nurishment)

Date: November 21, 2007 04:55PM

Hi Sharrhan,
thank you a lot for your letter. Now I am very interested in doing water fast for more than 3 days. Wow !! I would love to get in touch with my inner child (i did it in meditation,but in a fast must be much stronger).
30 to 40 days for me is amazing !! I've never done that.I saw a movie called fasting can save your live were 2 people go to California in a clinic to do 30 day fasting with a doctor supervising them every day.
That was very interesting but I never tought in doing that by myself.Maybe I can take a week off and do it,and like I said to Jodi,just read,rest and do nothing,and meditate with my inner child.That would be amazing!!

Quesion to you and Jodi. Why don't you like the lemonade diet?

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 21, 2007 08:42PM

hi cy! i have done 1 water/juice fast. it lasted 3 days, as that was my goal. i am very proud, even though i know many have done it for longer, because i had tried many many times before with the same results as you. the key for me was to be naked. i know it sounds strange, but for some reason it worked. my husband was out of town and i was not working at the time. i cranked up the heat and spent 3 days naked. i drank water only the first day. very little of it. the 2nd day i did have some juice and the 3rd water again.

i am going to start another fast and try to go for longer. but i have to find the perfect time.

Date: November 21, 2007 09:02PM

Hi Pihourova,thanks a lot and great way to do a fast !! I might try like that too.
Like you said,I too have to find a perfect time.I would love to do at teast 10 day fast,if I can. Oh boy!!!That's so difficult for me.Food is not food,it's a monster underneeth my bed,my confort enemy,my way of dealing with life,my way of getting away from people,well.everything but food,even raw food is not raw food.I thought going vegetarian,than vegan,than raw vegan I would get better,get well,but not,still the same problem.
Maybe naked I will face myself "raw" in a way.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 22, 2007 01:00AM

Hi Cy,
I have food issues too (the mommie-comfort type of food issues that don't easily go away just by filling up on the right type and amount of food). Sometimes I just have cravings, especially in the evening, and I know they're related to nurturing I didn't get when I was growing up. But the good news is that after the first 2-3 days of a fast, whether it's a water fast or a juice fast, you won't be hungry even if you have these emotional food issues. I'm living proof, believe me!

BTW, my 28 and 40 day fasts were juice fasts -- they were pretty easy. The longest I ever went on water was 17 days and 14 days respectively. I have a harder time water fasting, but the results are in some ways more satisfying than juice fasting.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 22, 2007 03:45AM

Hi Sharrhan,thanks for you letter.Wow!!! 28 to 40 day juice fast is amazing!!
And 14 to 17 day water fast is great !!Congratulations!!Just wonderful!

I believe in you and I'll do my best to go to a juice fast,at first and a water fast later when I get the time to do it,with a lot of rest. I'll do my best to not get crazy on the 2nd and 3rd day of the fast,that when I start to get self pity and crazy about all the food that I'm missing and that I will never eat again (a self mind game).Just horrible.

Maybe the feeling is so amazing that I get afraid of being happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables