Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions about taking supplements?
Posted by: Rawmichelle ()
Date: November 24, 2007 06:12PM

Hello all, this is my first time posting here so i will also post in the intro section as well. My question is: does anybody take supplements and if so which ones? Right now i take vitamineral green, and i just started aloe vera juice. I am also looking into bee pollen. I am not 100% raw yet but am heading there. I green juice every morning and love it..Also, i hear mention of superfoods such as bee pollen, goji berries, cacao, maca root, hemp seeds, etc...any thoughts?? Then there's the green superfoods...spirulina, blue green algae, Ok, i am totally confused...so whatcha think?
Michelle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about taking supplements?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 24, 2007 09:16PM

I don't think people necessarily need supplements.

I still take two that are specific to my health problems, but wouldn't need them if I had switched to raw before developing the diseases. I plan to discontinue them as soon as my diseases heal up.

Only take supplements if necessary. They are second-rate substitutes for healthy foods and practices. Don't succumb to they hype in advertising. Real nutrition is available straight from nature!

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: November 25, 2007 12:10AM

Right now the supplements I am taking are:

Manitoba Harvest's Hemp Protien powder
Udo's Choice 3-6-9
MSM
Udo's beyond greens

I love my supplements and can really say they are significant part of my overall diet smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:35AM

I use Hemp Protein as well

also EFA, a multi, and calcium.

it might be a mental thing, but it keeps me on raw.
good luck!

flex, how much of the hemp powder do you use every day?
I'm trying to build muscle and I use two servings--each contains 11g of protein (am and pm). what do you think of: 22g for the day, the rest fruit and watery veggies (celery, lettuce, cukes)?

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 11, 2007 05:33AM

I'm reading the book The China Study and the author advocates the whole plant food diet, with the only supplementation being B12 and Vit-D in small doses. You can look to see how much as I would have to go back to read it. If you want I can do that, but doing a search may bring it up also.

I'm taking Lugol's Iodine, but am not advocating it as the first thing to try,(I'm hypothyroid) as whole foods like added seaweeds and other Iodine rich foods would be best whenever possible.

A whole food plant based diet is best, with as little supplementation as possible, is what I'm learning now. Even after 5 years of raw foods, etc..I'm still learning, trying to get to that 100% raw foods daily, and getting my body functioning as well as it can..but I have to learn what that is and how to do it before I can implement it. It's a process!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 15, 2007 05:07AM

I really can't afford the big supplements - can't do some of these programs that cost $3 and upwards a day! lol. And I agree on taking supp's for a specific health need when your body tells you to. Whether it's "just mental" or whatever. If you feel like you need it, and notice an improvement... do it! For example, I have been CRAVING this alfalfa/red raspberry/hibiscus tea several times a day whereas before I really wasn't all that interested. I got the herbs in bulk and mix the tea in a hemp reusable tea bag from a good organic place for $40 and it's lasted me for almost 6 months so far.

My "specific health need" is... I had an emergency c-section (general anesthesia - the whole bit) in April after a planned homebirth - bummer - and after 8 months it still feels very achey and sore but I have noticed a steady improvement in the tenderness around the surgery site.

-Angie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables