Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to's on composting?
Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 26, 2007 03:18AM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know more about composting. Are there any experienced composters out there? What I'm doing so far is putting all my produce scraps in a wooden box that has some soil in it. I try to cover up the scraps with soil. I have a wooden cover over the box which doesn't totally cover the top. I put some worms in there awhile back,but now I can't find them, although they could be in there still. I stir it all up as much as possible.
Any tips, advice, resources??

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to's on composting?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 26, 2007 07:56AM

This is the best site ever:

[jenkinspublishing.com]

[www.jenkinspublishing.com]

Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 26, 2007 11:33PM

I don't think I'm quite ready for humanure. That seems to be the main topic of the website. Thanks anyways, though.

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: November 27, 2007 05:59AM

Hi RawsomeButterfly,

I love composting. One important thing I have found is to give it air throughout the pile, keep it kind of fluffy not compacted down.

I stack brown layers which are mostly dried plant material and green layers which are moist plant material like green trimmings and kitchen produce scraps. Often I sprinkle very small layers of good soil here or there.

I turn and moisten it according to the weather.

If I put in manure I only use it from herbivores. I wouldnt put in any weeds that have seeds or can otherwise reproduce if you dont want more weeds. And I dont like to put in anything that seems diseased.

For worms I find they move to wherever they feel most comfortable. If the pile gets hot in the middle they move away from there etc.

Does this help at all? Ask more if you want. I'm probably repeating what's in the site supplied by aquadecoco since I havent looked at it yet. I'll check it out when I have a little more time tomorrow.

Happy composting, Kit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables