Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can't get warm
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: December 09, 2007 08:17AM

Man o man. I'm always cold. I suppose eating lots of fruits and vegetables doesn't help. I've been eating mostly raw for many years yet am still cold most of the cold season. I bundle up under so many layers but am still cold. I wear two big winter jackets, designed to keep a person warm in hellatious cold weather. Some weeks ago it dawned on me that I wear so much clothing yet am still cold that there must be something wrong. So I started eating more fats but that hasn't helped. I have recently decided to cut back on the fat because it didn't help.

I do yoga but that doesn't seem to help. I mean, compared to winters when I wasn't doing yoga, I'm no warmer now. I'll continue but need to find something else.

I don't feel any warmer by eating heating herbs such as ginger or cayenne. I incline toward the idea that they are irritants anyway. (I do like kimchi but have toned down on that lately.)

I have read on the internet that the hypothalamus is the body's thermometer. I suppose yoga is a good way to help keep it in good shape but yoga doesn't seem to be doing it for me.

I suppose there are some things in my life that I'm doing that maintain this coldness but don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I know that my eating habits aren't ideal, I often don't sleep enough, and, I sometimes feel anxiety.
The third isn't such a problem. The first two are a bit more serious. But, I don't really see why I'd be so cold all the time.

I have avoided down jackets for years and years but am seriously considering buying one.

I've had a cold now for more than a month. I'm cold all the time and this surely doesn't help beat a cold. I'm also supposing that I'll get some antibiotics. Don't know what else to do. I suppose that even if I take some antibiotics to end this cold, if I am still cold all the time I may very well get another cold before long. Last winter I had two or three colds. I've never had a cold this long before but have never been this cold before for so long.

Except appeal to someone on this board for an idea or two. Taking time off work isn't an option, unless I am prepared to lose the job. I'm not.

I haven't worded this so well. Please forgive me if this is unclear.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can't get warm
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 09, 2007 04:12PM

Me neither! Right now I am in my kitchen, sitting on 145 degree hotwater radiator, wearing a wool toque and slippers, socks, jeans, long-sleeve tshirt, wool sweater and ... an old down jacket....and I'm warm as long as I stay on the heater, though it burns if I stay more than a few seconds.

I've been stricter with my diet, but just as you mentioned, going either up or down with the fats made no difference. I've been using spices as well, but no luck. I think I'm a vata or whatevs and need to live in the (sub)tropics!

I sleep under piles of the warmest covers, in the attire described above.... or, I have to have a long hot soak in the tub right before getting into bed wearing the warmest night clothes, robe and wool socks. It's only -2 C. here!

However, I do feel much warmer after going for a walk or doing other activity, which helps for half and hour or so afterwards.

Re: antibiotics.... would that do more than just suppress symptoms? Maybe you could try a few weeks of drinking lemon water, hot or room temp. esp. first thing in the morning. It's just possible you're reacting to something, like mold, in your environment or food, or maybe you're in a deeper cleansing stage. Bragg and others wrote of having unexpected cleansings after years of raw and apparent health.....

My sympathies and hope you beat that cold soon!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 09, 2007 06:11PM

I'm hypothyroid with goiter and went off my thyroid meds by taking Iodine. I order it from jcrows.com and it's Lugol's 5% solution of Iodine. It is the raw material your thyroid, and other tissues need to function. I am currently taking a total of 6 drops per day which is about 38 mgs. of Iodine. You can start with taking 1 drop per day, and adding 1 drop per day until you feel comfortable or your body temp. rises to some normal degree. Without it I get very depressed, freezing cold internally, and foggy thinking, lethargic, etc. I do have a thyroid conditon though. You may only need some 13 mgs. per day, or 13 grams 1-2 times per week.

If you are against taking a supplement, try eating lots of seaveggies, seaweed like kelp, dulse, and other natural cold ocean sea going items. They soak up the Iodine in the ocean. Or go swimming in the ocean daily or a few times a week if it's possible, if not then the options above would serve well.

You can also try adding Lugol's Iodine (it's liquid) to your bath water to soak up some, how much I don't know. I do add about 12 drops to my bath on occasion, and I also paint things on my body with it, like my breasts, moles, bottoms of feet, etc.

You can mix it by shaking vigoriously with some coconut oil and then rubbing it on, but I do it straight unless I use it on my face, neck areas.

I make seaworthy baths on occasion also, like placing seaweed, Celtic sea salt, or Epsom salt, and Iodine into my bath. I have a couple other baths I'm trying out now also, for alkalizing, they use Hydrogen peroxide, Epsom salt, and baking soda.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 09, 2007 06:33PM

Thanks Prism,

I started taking some black walnut for iodine because I read that other iodine supplements are not easily tolerated.

I would like to try stepping it up a little..... I should look for foods with iodine and also should start taking my waking temp. to see if it's low.

Date: December 10, 2007 07:11PM

There is some dispute as to walnut actually containing Iodine. I think powered kelp, fresh seaveggies, seaweeds, contain much more.

You can look for sea salt with added Iodine. Someone said they found liquid dulse with Iodine, in the mcg. I take mgs. for my hypothyroidism.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: December 11, 2007 12:58AM

Well, Prism, I'll try the seaweeds. There are lots here in Korea. I may eat the stuff served in the kitchen or I may buy some myself. The stuff served in the kitchen, even when it's raw, is mixed with other stuff and is often pretty salty. I could ask them to just give me a bit from the package. We'll see.

Aquadecoco, I have never thought to take my body temperature. I will see about getting a thermometer soon. I send you warm wishes ... really, warm warm ones.

For various reasons, I don't think the cold is a cleansing reaction.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: December 11, 2007 05:27AM

If you don't eat the seaweed due to whatever reasons, try putting them into your bath and soak with them, they should leach out some of their Iodine content and salt and that would be good for you. If needed you can put it into a mesh net, or bowl with lid that has holes for the seaweed to be contained but for water to go thru and come out with the essence of the seaweeds.

Let us know how it goes for you. I'd be interested in the body temperature as I've been keeping my record on my raw diary.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: December 11, 2007 08:04AM

I am sure your problem is more serious than this, but I just figured out why I am so cold in the day but warm after I've slept. I guess that your body and muscles tense up, preventing heat from leaving your core while you are awake, and you relax at night and the heat comes to your body surface. You mentioned that you had a lot of anxiety, I wonder if that could be related and you are too tense to allow the heat to leave your core. Good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2008 02:53AM

I new to the raw diet, but I'm always cold too, please keep us post on your results. Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables