Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

For women only...female question!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 25, 2006 09:17PM

Hey girls! I'm a little worried. I've been doing this vegetarian/85% raw food for about a month now. I'm due for my period, but for some reason, I haven't started yet. It seems as though it's about a week late. It's like clock work...I never have to guess, and I have PMS symptoms for about a week or 2 before I start. Yet this time no severe symptoms. I've cramped for the last 2 days, although not bad at all. What's going on? Is it the diet, the exercise? I've googled it, but found nothing. Has anyone had this to happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For women only...female question!
Date: May 26, 2006 02:28AM

oh, this one comes up so often but i can't direct you to the archives because, sigh, they're gone.
you will get replies from those (so many of them will not be women) who believe that this is the ultimate good, that a period is unhealthy and a sign of detox and once you don't have them anymore you're on the right path and doing great things for yourself.
but, BUT! even if this is true i certainly don't believe that it's healthy for it to be happening so early. perhaps after several years of healthy living and radical detox. until then i consider it a sign of something being WRONG, a reproductive system in distress incapable of sustaining a new life (which is our bodies ultimate purpose regardless of whether you choose to actually procreate or not so, in other words, something very serious).
have you tried tracking your diet using the free software at fitday.com? you may be missing something essential. good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 02:29AM by coco.

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: May 26, 2006 09:24AM

jenn, my period has been late this month also..
at the same time i started going raw, i also stopped taking pills that regulated my period..

anyhow...is not having a period that healthy?
can something in our diets (or lack thereof) cause amenorrhea?

Date: May 26, 2006 11:44AM

Idunno....I cannot take pills or any type of birth control..it affects my hormones...makes me go crazy! When I tried to a while back, I had to go off them and start antidepressants until my hormones were regulated again!!

I've taken a preg. test, and I'm fine...no babies. But, my symptoms usually include sore breasts for about 1 1/2 weeks before and severe bloating and cramping.

I agree that I don't think I should be feeling the effects of eating raw yet...it's too early. I just wonder if it doesn't have to do with such an extreme diet change and physical activity change. My mother said she never had symptoms like me, but she was extremely athletic when she was younger.

Any thoughts?

Date: May 26, 2006 03:49PM

Jenn, I do not have a lot of time, but I wanted to quickly tell a tiny bit of what I know about the subject. Women should have a period monthly. The belief that a period or menstration is a disease state in a women's body is quickly being disproven. (I personally have a strong opionion on this subject but no time to get into it). The majority of the time when a woman is not experiencing regular (for her body) periods, it is because of an inbalance...hormone, nutritional, ect. I will add more later. Some suggestions if it continues (or is absent) for two months-see your ob/gyn (who should do a blood spot test and sylivia test for hormone inbalance-one shows what your body is producing the other shows what it is uptaking). Science and medicine are freakishly behind on women's health so if she does not know what you are talking about find another doc. Extra estrogen is stored in fat so if you have lost weight you may have an overproduction of testosterone, cortisol, or progesterone (your body may have been overproducing one or all of these to balance out extra estrogen and now that that is gone; the body has not readjusted yet -that is why you should give it a couple months.) Nutritionally, you could be short on iron, c, a....lots...it is great advice to go to fitday.com to analyze that.

Date: May 26, 2006 06:29PM

awesome guys....thanks!!! Good news..I guess, hehe...I started. It's all well and fine. Very light, which is incredible. Thanks so much for all your help!

Oh yeah, my eyes are turning colors. Is that normal? haha....I think it's cool. They're naturally dark, reddish brown. Now, there is a dark gray circle around my whole iris and a light blue line in the middle of the iris that goes all the way around in a circle. Very strange, but pretty. Just started about a week ago.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 28, 2006 04:26PM

If you've only just started a purifying diet, I think that it is okay to not have menstruation for a couple of months. But it should re-start sooner or later as you become more and more healthy. If it goes on for 6 months, then I would start to wonder, and maybe get tested for nutritional deficiencies. But right now, keep up with good eating and lifestyle, and best of luck to you.

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: May 28, 2006 07:10PM

Well since this is supposedly an all female thread I feel safe asking this question. I know many of you have had trouble with Candida since going all raw but I don't have a problem with that I get the opposite: Bacterial Infections (BacterialVaginosis)....I guess I'm good with the yeast, my body just has problems controlling the bad bacteria. (And trust me, I keep clean & dry so it's nothing external) Anyway, the first 2 weeks I went raw my body got a bad one (sucked!) and I treated it with rejuvelac, acidopholis, wheatgrass inplants and teatree oil (I tried everything!!) It feels better now, but I'm so worried it's going to come back! I kinda think it might. Do you girls have any ideas or suggestions on this? Everyone else always talks about how to combat Candida but bacterial is the other end of the spectrum...Thanks in advance to anyone that can help! sad smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 28, 2006 10:26PM

jen rose

try "primal defense'
natural flora for the intestinal tract

works well

Date: May 29, 2006 12:23AM

Thanks! I'll find it & buy it!

Date: May 29, 2006 01:39AM

acidophilus, ferments are good. vitamin c internally i have heard works, but don't try that without reading up first. chlorella too. good luck.

Date: May 29, 2006 02:58AM

Does anyone know the reason a raw diet would irritate this condition?

Posted by: Planta ()
Date: May 29, 2006 04:26AM

A recent thread on the topic:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: May 30, 2006 06:35AM

jr, cleansing or any sort of dietary/lifestyle change can upset the balance of intestinal (and other) flora. expect many changes girl. many. support yourself and slow down if it gets too intense. life is a journey not a destination so focus on where you are at in the now instead of where you wish to be. accept yourself and heal. and remember you have shoulders here to lean on, i have always found that to be true.

Date: May 30, 2006 07:12AM

coco, Thank you for saying exactly what I needed to hear....Just that. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables