Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut oil fast??
Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:43AM

Ive been taking medication for yeeears...But now ive finally stopped taking them...!!

So i want to do a fast to get all the accumalated toxins out of my body...

I was wondering if i could do a coconut oil fast...? Since it has detoxifying effects...

Would it be a good idea or should i do a water only fast instead?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut oil fast??
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:46AM

I have no experience with such a fast, but intuitively I feel like a fast with any oil would be very unpleasant at the very least. Is this something you've heard of other people doing? I think fasting on fresh green coconut water would be great however.

You might want to repost this in the main forum as there has been quite a lively discussion about coconut oil over there.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 28, 2008 03:22AM

well, its supposed to be very detoxifying so thats the only reason why i tought of that... I've never heard of it
Bad idea?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 29, 2008 03:00AM

You would be better off with a juice fast or a water fast to detoxify yourself. If you only consumed coconut oil, your body would spend a lot of its time and energy trying to digest the oil.

Date: February 29, 2008 04:46PM

Eek! I agree with Brian. Stick with juice or water for fasting. Fasting on large quantities of oil for an extended period just wouldn't be healthy.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 29, 2008 04:57PM

ok then... smiling smiley

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 03:16PM

Fat stores toxins...water will flush it out smiling smiley Good luck!

Date: March 03, 2008 06:01PM

I need info here...

i've been fasting for 3 days now... but im not doing a water only fast, I drink glasses of water and i fill about 1/4 of the glass with fresh juice...
And.... well... I take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil too.... But thats not the problem!

The thing is, that i didnt go for a number 2 since i started, and MY TONGUE IAS ALL WHITE!!!! its really weird! are these symptoms of the fast?

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 03, 2008 07:53PM

Hi Mira,

A white coating on the tongue is a classic detox symptom. I always get that if I fast or cleanse. I use a spoon to scrape it (although they do make tongue scrapers), then I brush it. It should start to decrease as the old toxins are eliminated, but it might not go completely away during this fast if you are particularly toxic.

Also, in my personal opinion, I would wait on having the coconut oil during your cleanse. I think it could provide a way for the toxins to be reabsorbed into your system. I would stick with the water and fresh juices (green juices are my favorites during a cleanse. The coconut oil will be there when you're done and you can resume your oil program then. just my thoughts, but do what feels right for you.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: March 03, 2008 09:39PM

really...? i can reabsord all the toxins that way?? gees... Im obsessed with coconut oil and fasting with it cause i suspect i may have sdome kind of lipid-coated virus...
i tried to "wash" my tongue, but it didnt really work... it stays white... I just have to avoid pulling my tongue at people!! haha

Date: March 04, 2008 05:10PM

and i was wondering...

When should i stop fasting? (this is my first fast)

Does fasting slowers down the metabolism?
I dont know if its true, but i've read that reducing drasticaly the daily calorie intake, could in fact get the body used to a daily/low calorie diet, and then making it easy to gain weight because of that...true or false?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:13PM

Yes, fasting slows the metabolism. That's why it's not recommended for weight loss.

I would also hold off on the fat--I would say you aren't really fasting then, just eating much less than normal. Don't forget that most toxins are fat-soluble.

You can stop fasting whe it feels right--I think it makes sense to do several short fasts before doing a longer fast. Just like a new runner doesn't start with a marathon smiling smiley

Date: March 05, 2008 05:40PM

I stopped taking the oil.. I dont want to reabsorb what i rejected...

I'm kinda annoyed for the metabolism thing... I dont want to slow it down gees...AHH!! I'm going nuts

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 09, 2008 02:50AM

Yeah, I agree with the above, I would not expect any detox from a high fat source that is not a particularly good source of essential fatty acids. We have no need for any saturated fat, at least none yet has been identified. And those fat soluble toxins are the ones that get stored in the adipose tissue. The best detox is losing excess weight slowly and steadily.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2008 02:20AM

Hi, I've done some research on these items and there was a period in my life where I fasted heavily. So here are a few points from my experience that you may find useful:

1. Coconut oil is absorbed differently by the body than other oils according to Bruce Fife, who includes a fast utilizing coconut oil in his book "Coconut Cures". It is used as essentially an energy replacement for carbs to avoid the blood sugar issues brought on by fruit juices. You also reap the health benefits of the oil. It also includes other elements in the fast. I have only read about it.

2. If you fast you need to ensure some kind of method of bowel movement and elimination. That is the biggest culprit of toxin reabsorption. Different methods are recommended depending on authors and experts (and I am not one): psyllium, cascara sagrada type teas, enemas, etc. Do your research and find one that is best for you--but definitely find one! This will not necessarily eliminate a white coating on tongue, but will assist your body in removing toxins.

3. Fruit juices and sweet vegetable juices can have negative blood sugar effects. If you can do green juices (spinach, celery, cucumber, kale, lettuce, etc) some of the less appetizing flavors can be offset by also juicing a lemon and some fresh ginger in with it.

**As a personal note: When I was younger (late teens, early 20's) I fasted a lot and damaged my metabolism and my psyche, all in the name of health. I used fruit juices a lot because I heard and read that they were more "cleansing" and "detoxifying"--I wanted those toxins OUT! What I have come to realize (now in my 30's) is that if I build my body up through vegetables, greens, & green juices, then my body gets strengthened and strong enough to detoxify on its own. I think this is even more important if you are juice fasting because of the role that blood sugar levels play and how metabolism is affected. I am not anti-fasting or anti-fruit, but caution is appropriate in such circumstances.

4. Yes, fasting lowers metabolism. There's a lot of information out there about how and why that happens.

5. If you are in a toxic state for whatever reason, a fast can be very difficult for your body to handle. A water only fast can be especially (and unnecessarily) harsh and difficult, even harmful. As can juice fasts if unbalanced and sugar laden or simply inappropriate given your health circumstances. They can harm your metabolism, your chemical balances, and affect your mental state.

6. Educate yourself as much as possible and discuss with your physician, especially if you have had previous health problems.

Best of luck and health...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables