Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Cosmetics
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: May 02, 2008 08:51PM

What does work, homemade? cucumber, honey? What do you use for cosmetics? It should be easy to make at home but there is no guideline on what to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Cosmetics
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 02, 2008 11:54PM

You know what my experience has been? My skin actually started getting better when I just quit using anything. I wash my face with water and very occasionally wear eye-liner, nothing else.

This, combined with my diet I'm sure, has gotten my skin off to a great healing start! It is funny how things got better when I stop trying to use products. smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 03, 2008 12:05AM

i put an apple in a blender
then i clean my face with it

it is very refreshing

i feel happy afterwards
apples have some sort of stuff in it
forget what

it feels tingly afterwards

think its alpha hydroxy

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: May 03, 2008 01:51AM

I don't really use any, except perhaps lipstick once in a blue moon. I'm always touching my face and smudging it. I also always had the fear that cosmetics would age my skin and that I would look worse later in life.

I've experimented with using berries like blueberries and rasberries for blushing and around eyes.

I also bought some black eyeliner from a company in Saudia Arabia
[www.hashmisurma.com]
and the stuff never seemed to dry and smudged badly when I tried to take it off and I looked like I had a black eye! I must have done it wrong, the site says it is smudge free.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: May 03, 2008 02:31AM

I love putting goat yogurt on my face with dried lavender and calendula flowers. I leave it on for about 1/2 hour and then rinse - Silky smooth.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: May 03, 2008 03:11AM

Do you mean makeup or skin products?

For skin products, I agree with Sparkler, the less you put on your face the better your skin gets.

But as a moisturiser I use rose hip oil, 3-4 drops massaged into a damp face (with a bit extra gently patted under the eyes. I leave any excess on the face for a whioe then rinse off and pat dry with a towel. There are organic rosehip oils that are processed at low temperatures, leaving all the good stuff in. And the best ones are the ones that extract the oil out of the seed as well as the fruit.

I don't clean my face with much (mostly just warm water and gently scrub with a hand towel) , but occasionally I use Dr Bronners liquid soap.

And I have my homemade body scrub, cold pressed oils including macadamia, rosehip, jojoba and sea salt. Scrub this into dry skin (massageing in circular motions toward the heart) and then wash off with warm water, leaves the skin moisturised for up to 48 hours. I do this about once a week.

Also, if you live near the beach, just go down the water's edge and and do the same thing, using sand as a scrub and salt water as a rinse, beautiful.

Date: May 03, 2008 03:19AM

Thanks klomasius, I am mostly looking for skin products and I will try your homemade body scrub of "cold pressed oils including macadamia, rosehip, jojoba and sea salt"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2008 12:45PM

what do you mean there are no guidelines? i have about three books on making your own skin, body and hair care products and i know there are tons more out there. do a google search and you're sure to find tons of stuff.

i like oats ground in a spice mill, they are very soothing for irritated skin and can be used for cleansing or in a mask. i use white clay for a mask and mix in whatever my skin needs at the moment (vit e, cucumber, avocado, etc). baking soda is a terrific facial scrub, the oil cleansing method is a good cleaning and moisturizing routine, the no-poo hair thing seems to work for lots of people. apple cider vinegar is a good way to maintain the ph balance of the skin and hair, wheatgrass juice and pulp is great for face and body skin. etc etc etc. experiment, lots of things you eat are good for the outside of your body too.

Posted by: jairama ()
Date: May 03, 2008 06:33PM

we like to smear the inside of mango or papaya peels on our faces and leave on until tight like a mask. smear again ... let dry then Rinse with warm water. it will make you look 5 years younger for a while.

Date: May 04, 2008 03:03AM

Ooh, now that sounds good Jairama!

Coincidentally I've just bought a papaya to use as a face mask. Papaya contains an enzyme called papain, that breaks down proteins. It literally 'eats' up all the dead skin cells on your face to reveal a fresh new layer.

Haha! I sound like a cosmetics ad!

Will try your method tonight.

Date: May 04, 2008 03:12PM

WOW!

Papaya face mask beats any commercial off the shelf face mask any day!

Absolutely amazing, my skin is so smooth and fresh. I definitely recommend it. This will become part of my skin health regime now.

YAY!!

Date: May 05, 2008 05:15PM

How do you make a papaya face mask?

Date: May 06, 2008 07:45AM

Haha! how do you make it??

The papaya (paw paw) fruit makes it for you!

You simply smear the inside of the papaya skin over your face (I also smeared some of the mooshed up papaya flesh on too) and leave the goop to dry on your face. Then when it's dry, you smear another layer on over it (don't wash the first layer off) and let that dry too. The stuff goes a bit tight on your face, but it's the same for many commercial masks too.

When it was dry, I simply rinsed it off with warm water and revealed a new, fresh layer of skin, absolutely amazing!

So you get a tasty fruit meal, plus a lovely face mask (or two, I still have some skin I'll use for another mask in the fridge) AND the seeds can be eaten and used in a parasite cleanse!

What a fantastic fruit eh?

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 09, 2008 04:53AM

i wash my face and body with coco oil.

i smear it on, and i take it off with a washcloth and water, and then after the shower i put more on my skin as a moisturizer.

a lot of times i just use different things i am eating at the time, and just see what it does and how it feels. =)

we should get together and write a book.

Date: May 16, 2008 10:20AM

Indeed we should.

If only people really knew how effective and safe natural skin care products were, they'd see how crazy it is to use all that synthetic, overpriced and outbreak making goop!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 18, 2008 03:16AM

Green papaya is better than ripe papaya for the face; more papain.

Pineapple is good, too, for the bromelain.

I can't say that all natural is better for the skin. All of the natural oils are outbreak making for me. That also goes for all the synthetic oils and oil-like substances.

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:19AM

i think its hilarious that two slices of cucumber over the eyes is like a staple in all "spa" scenes. I literally use whatever I eat, at the time I am eating it (if possible). Also, I've recently been experimenting with beets and beet powder for lip color and blush. DILUTE!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables