Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vegans and Raw foodies wanted to inhabit NEW city!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2006 06:13AM

no kidding. I live in a town in the southeast called Independence. It has no city government, no city hall, and very few services. Most of the inhabitants are farmers who're dying off, and their offspring have moved away for life in the big cities.

There are few services available, and the only shopping is a thrift store and two gas stations. This is a CLEAN SLATE!

I'm looking for people who're innovative, self-motivated, and entrepreneurial to come and buy or rent properties before Development encroaches, which will happen in about 6-10 years.
There is a brand new high school due to open next month. THere's also an elem. school, and a middle school, as well as homeschoolers around.

There is a brand new subdivision that has 8 homes complete, but none have sold yet. They're all brick, mostly 3 bd.,2ba, and on 1-2 acres each surrounded by ponds, and lots of woods on the perimeter. Brand new, and they're going for only $210k - 300k.
Just think - we could turn the whole subdivision into a raw or vegan one!
There are also a few farms for sale with lots of acreage, and some trailers or small homes for rent or sale for those with little savings.

I cannot offer jobs or find jobs for people, but, if anyone has interest, and can tell me your skills, I would be happy to look around. The best opportunities, though, are available for those who want to start their own business. There really isn't anything you could offer that has already been done, so everything is in short supply here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegans and Raw foodies wanted to inhabit NEW city!
Date: August 07, 2006 08:25AM

Sounds exciting ahmisa.

What state is it in?

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 09:34PM

ooh sounds so cool yes tell us the state!

and love your name too - ahimsa

Posted by: Vmos9 ()
Date: December 30, 2006 01:32AM

What state ? Dude, you gotta tell us where its at if you want serious replys

dave

Date: December 31, 2006 06:54PM

gosh, sorry everyone! I was only notified about this last post, not the previous ones. Then I couldn't log in, but wasn't given an error message, so I didn't know why and it took a day to figure out that it was cookies.

Anyway, it's in N. Mississippi. The only organic produce right now is either at Wal-mart, which actually has a lot, or up in Memphis at various places like Wild Oats or some smaller markets or farmer's markets. But, there are some organic farmers who I've contacted and who would be happy to set up a co-op drop off or pickup.
Lots of Memphians are moving down into Olive Branch, just over the state line,because taxes are much lower in Mississippi,and everything is new and booming there. The influx is headed this way, but I think it will be another 10-20 years before it gets this far. This is about 20 miles south of O.B.

Date: January 05, 2007 12:44AM

An idea : shoot a video of the area and put it on Google Video & YouTube. I would really love to see it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Vmos9 ()
Date: January 05, 2007 03:32AM

The video idea is excellent ! i would really like to check this out too

dave

Date: January 26, 2007 03:36AM

there's nothing to video. Like I said, it's basically a "new" city. That means that you'd see nothing but raw land, and trees and some roads. You could also see some homes, but I have to drive into driveways to film most of them, and I don't think people would appreciate that.

Do you want me to send pics of the homes that are for sale?
I do want folks to come here, so I would do that for anyone who asks,but I've done a ton of work driving around searching for land and houses for sale and getting details for people who never even bothered to respond or to thank me or to even say they lost interest and tell me why.

I assume they were never really serious about it, but were merely toying with the idea of maybe moving somewhere someday.

Before doing that again, or doing other work, I'd like to have some people show genuine interest and ask specific questions, as well as show initiative.
I mean I'm not a real estate agent or developer who's making money off this endeavor. I have two jobs and am taking care of 5 dogs and 11 cats right now. I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into research,buying a video camera, and driving around taking videos for folks who express mild and vague interest.

I'm not angry or wanting to sound harsh. I just don't want to continue to waste my time on people who don't mind asking me to do a lot of work that will likely be fruitless for me.

Posted by: kasegretto ()
Date: April 02, 2007 05:25PM

We want to see what the landscape looks like! People want to see if there's lots of trees, ponds/water... is it BEAUTIFUL? What is the climate like? Of course... if we REALLY wanted to know, we could find out in a few minutes by doing research on the place. It sounds like this place, which has no government, would not have a name, but what are the names of the places surrounding it so we can see where it is?

Also, please check out my classified ad: "Purity Living Community - Interested?"

Thanks!
PurityLivingCommunity@gmail.com

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: April 03, 2007 03:48AM

To get a feel of the landscape, layout, etc, try mapquest.com and choose the aerial view tab.

Posted by: marhar ()
Date: April 13, 2007 12:20PM

This does sound very interesting. However, I don't have a lot of money, would anyone be interested in possibly creating a sustainable communal house to start with so that we can then decide what we can contribute as business to the "new city?"

I heard of some people who bought a house together in romania and they all lived there and it had a farm and vineyard and such which they worked on. They would all rotate going to work for two months and then bring the money they made back to the house and then someone else would go work. So, they all ended up working 2 months out of the year and the rest of the time living in this place and working in the garden, or on creative projects, etc.

This may be a good model to start in this "new city" and as more people come we can begin creating economy within the city.

My life is a blank slate right now and I'm looking to do something outside of the normal proceedures of a 25 year old making-a-adlult-life. Your idea is inspiring and full of potential.
I can offer certified teaching skills in all subjects (esp art and literature) and yoga.
Well,...

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 13, 2007 07:54PM

It sounds like a dream that could come true! I would certainly be interested in living in a community of like minded individuals.

Date: April 14, 2007 05:31AM

when going to mapquest, input the city and state, then pick the first choice of the two choices given. It's Tate.
I just bought 20 acres with my two best friends, and we're going to build a house here. About three miles from here, we saw two white dome houses. They look like they were prefab kits, rather than hand built. I'd love to see the inside. Lots o' trailers here, but also a number of "regular" brick houses...not many that are out of the ordinary, but it's hard to know for sure. On some roads, people are set way back, and the houses can't be seen. For the one who said "is it beautiful?", I can say that you won't see waterfalls everywhere, and there are no mountains. It's flat. We're not that far from the Delta...you know, blues, cotton farms,etc...totally flat.
Arkabutla Lake is about 25 miles west of the land we bought. We went there, but it was cold that day, so the lake looked pretty, but not exactly inviting.

We have noticed in the local paper that there are always jobs for nurses and LPN's more than probably any other job.

Date: May 08, 2007 08:11PM

marhar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This does sound very interesting. However, I don't
> have a lot of money, would anyone be interested in
> possibly creating a sustainable communal house to
> start with so that we can then decide what we can
> contribute as business to the "new city?"
>
> I heard of some people who bought a house together
> in romania and they all lived there and it had a
> farm and vineyard and such which they worked on.
> They would all rotate going to work for two months
> and then bring the money they made back to the
> house and then someone else would go work. So,
> they all ended up working 2 months out of the year
> and the rest of the time living in this place and
> working in the garden, or on creative projects,
> etc.
>
> This may be a good model to start in this "new
> city" and as more people come we can begin
> creating economy within the city.
>
> My life is a blank slate right now and I'm looking
> to do something outside of the normal proceedures
> of a 25 year old making-a-adlult-life. Your idea
> is inspiring and full of potential.
> I can offer certified teaching skills in all
> subjects (esp art and literature) and yoga.
> Well,...

I think this might be closer to what you're looking for:
[www.dancingrabbit.org]

I'm headed out to Washington State to learn to run / market an organic garden, but am looking for something like this after I actually have some type of skill to offer. Basically, a sustainable community with goals of 500 citizens. You can either "join" an established cooperative or "establish" one of your own (as long as you're willing to live by their eco-friendly rules). Joining an established cooperative might be for someone with little / no start up cash, but a desire to make a difference. I'm THINKING I might be able to come up with some good plans this summer, and the lease won't be too expensive. I want it to be mostly raw-vegan. Looking for like minded individuals who want to work hard establishing an eco-friendly home with communal areas for recreation and help with the garden / grounds (trees, maybe a few animals, etc.). The big picture is over-all dormitory style living with single person living quarters, but its something that will take a lot of dedication to these ideas and hard work.

Oh, and one last note: Before things are running smoothly and we're getting enough veggies / fruits it would be necessary to rely on food from other sources. I'll need to talk more with the community to see what they have in general and what we can bring in from other cities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 08:19PM by GardnerNicholas.

Posted by: mameyluver ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:54PM

This definitely does sound like a dream come true. I don't have money or skills to offer, but I've got stores of desire, enthusiasm and drive.

xoxo,
Lita

[paintedrenderings.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables