Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP! What do I have here?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 20, 2006 12:50PM

I went to an estate sale about a month age and picked this up. I believe it's 1/2 of a 2 step juicing procedure (the grinder) of a K & K, but I'm not sure. I asked them where the press was. They said they didn't understand so I explained what the press did. They said someone bought it for $5.00 to get the hydraulic jack that was in it --- what a waste........

On the front of the stainless steel or nickel steel housing it says "Knuth Engineering - Chicago, Ill". I believe it's from the early 1950's, but it runs quiet just like new one (1725 rpm). Am I right in my assumption that it's a K & K or what?.... Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 12:59PM by Quark101.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP! What do I have here?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 20, 2006 11:49PM

Nice score. How big is the vertical tube? Can apples if in it?

I was thinking this might be something for cider making where the apples get chewed up and sit for a while (so the wild yeast on the apples skins can get into the juice), then they are pressed. I'm wondering if this is that part that 'chews' up the apples.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ian.

Date: November 21, 2006 05:30AM

Thanks for the reply..... You are on the right track..... It'll work for apples --- and just about anything else..... It'll grind-up apples to about the consistency of apple-sauce..... I'm just not sure what the correct name for this machine is..... Is "Knuth Engineering" the company that made this, the same company that made the K & K?..... The K & K is no longer in production so I can't go to their web-site.....

In the 1950's, when I was a young whipper-snapper, my folks had a K & K and as I remember, it looked very much like this contraption..... You ground-up the veggies or whatever into a pulp in this, then you folded the pulp into cloth and put it in a hydraulic press..... Out came juice and what was left was "very, very dry pulp".

It was terrific for making "carrot juice", or any other juice you wanted..... Squeeze about 5 gal. apple juice in one of those glass water cooler bottles that you find here and there. Add just a pinch of powdered yeast to give it a "kick-start", cover the opening of the bottle with a piece of cheese-cloth to keep out the creepy-crawlers, store in a dark cool place and wait...... Then in a short time, SHAZAM --- you get "hard cider".....

Date: November 22, 2006 06:12PM

I believe I've solved my own problem. "K & K" made a 2 step juicer which was 2 separate machines, a "grinder and a press". A Chicago company named "Knuth Engineering" made the machine I have......

Now, if "Knuth Engineering" made both machines it might be called the "Knuth & Knuth"...... Say that real fast, ten times in a row. What a tongue-twister...like saying "rubber baby buggy bumpers".

They possibly shortened the name to "K & K". Sounds logical, don't you think?

Date: November 23, 2006 02:51AM

you have a k&k grinder. A manual press goes with it. They just moved back to chicago. I need the new adress to I can become a distrubuter.

elnatural

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables