Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

recently mostly homeless would love some ideas
Posted by: dynamiteroyalty ()
Date: June 18, 2007 01:10AM

I've been technically homeless since Monday night. Things we're not working out with my recent living arrangments and I don't have the means to sign a lease for my own apartment at the moment. I've been looking on craigslist for subleases and rooms for rent, but if anybody has any suggestion or contacts that would be sincerely appreciated. I live in Houston and need to stay in town, I can only budget a total of 350 for rent and utilities, but would be willing to trade the time I'm not working for a place to stay as well. Thanks.

Carrie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recently mostly homeless would love some ideas
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:05PM

hi Carrie im so sorry to hear to hear about your situation. I hope you find something soon. I was living in my car for most of 2005 (which at age 35 was quite depressing for me lol) , and things have gotten nothing but better since as they will for you too im sure smiling smiley

be safe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 18, 2007 03:21PM

Jodi,

Thank you so much. I'm sure they will, but it is nice to know that you think so too.

Carrie

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 20, 2007 08:06PM

You don't have any friends or family to help you out with a place to stay? If I were there, you could stay with me.

How about looking for a local church or organization that helps homeless young people out? There is usally one in large cities.

Do you work, can you find work? How about posting on craigslist for live in nanny or babysitter or housekeeper?

If you can afford the amount you say..the $350 a month for rent and utilities, how about finding a new room-mate situation? OR go to HUD and they usually have a list of low income rentals.

Why are you wanting to stay in Houston..just wondering. Are you going to school there?

I'm praying and chanting for your situation to improve and you find the perfect housing situation.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: bluelight ()
Date: June 22, 2007 02:02PM

Hi
I used to live in houston with the crappiest living arrangements for that amount, but that place is gone thank god!!! There was a place in downtown Houston like where I stayed but with much better conditions. It was a coffee house where artists lived and then worked to pay half their rent. Maybe they still exist and can help you out. The places were meant for poor artists really I think but half the people or more weren't artists at all really. I can't remember the coffee house's name but call the bar called mausoleum. I googled the # I think its 713) 526-4648. The owner should know the coffee house name or maybe more of these places popped up. Ask if they are associated w/ any artist living communities or live work situations. good luck.

Date: June 22, 2007 05:28PM

hmm what about one of the WWOOF places or Organic volunteers?

some of the places give you a roof and a bit of $$ in exchange for work .. i found these on organic volunteers [www.organicvolunteers.com]

Please login to view this host's contact info. If you are new click here
Activities: farming, husbandry, csa, orchards
Description: Our farm is located on 20 acres of prime river bottom alluvial soil just 5 miles east from downtown Austin. Our 100 member CSA is in its second season. We have about 3 acres in vegetable production, 5 acres in pecans, and a few cattle and chickens.
Program: Interns learn all aspects of vegetable production...from green house work to, planting and harvesting. For cooling off in the summer, the Colorado River is a short walk through the woods right next to the farm.

Interns also will work with approximately 10 work share members on Saturday mornings from 8-12. Work requirements for interns are approximately 20 hours per week. Workdays are Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sundays….with possibly a little work on other days. We provide a $50 dollar stipend per week and food from the farm. Housing is provided in a separate farm house with kitchen, telephone, etc.

We prefer applicants who would like to farm as a career or are seriously interested in organic farming. There is potential for increased responsibility for the apprentice with experience and interest, as we are planning to expand our operation. We are also seeking a permanent assistant farm manager position. Separate housing for this opportunity is also available.
Area: 20 acres
Space: Can accommodate 3 people.
Organic Status: Organic but not certified
Active: Year-round

Date: June 22, 2007 05:29PM

Activities: farming, gardening, education, bio-dynamics, marketing, management, research
Description: Multi-pronged expansive with projects and ideas focused on bringing Wholistic Agriculture to the world in real and profitable ways. Internet marketing, global communication and shipping.
Program: Conferences, speaking engagements, demo farm, Steiner product packing and shipping, client contacting, ticket sales, and much more.
Space: Can accommodate 1 people.
Organic Status: No Poisons, No Pesticides, No GMOs makes us more than organic.

Activities: alterna-building, community, education
Description: Organizing the environmental community in Austin, Texas. Many projects being developed. Newsletter, website, discussion forums, and creating an actual multi-use facility for use by many organizations. Note - this is not a farm.
Program: Opportunities for people to learn community building skills, fundraising techniques and have fun creating an environmental center for Austin, Texas - one of the greatest cities in the US!

Space: Can accommodate 2 people.
Organic Status: Totally dedicated to promoting socially and environmentally responsible business, investing and consumer behavior. Promoting dialogue and creating community for environmentalists.
Active: January to December

Activities: Compiling Resource directory of green-living resources, activism, education, marketing, research
Description: Online listserv and classes in the process of producing website, resource guide and green map to connect people with resources and information that will help them buy local, be green and be civically involved.
Program: Fabulous opportunity for someone wanting to get plugged into Austin green scene. I run the AustinEcoNetwork listserv and teach Austin Orientation classes. I am about to turn the curriculum into a resource guide and website. We need web techie people, administrative angels, research assistance, and publishing expertise.
Space: Can accommodate 2 people.
Organic Status: Founder of the Austin EcoNetowrk and organizer of many green events in Austin

Date: June 22, 2007 05:31PM

Activities: jellies, nursery, farming, gardening, csa, education, retail, marketing, management
Description: We have a 17-acre diverse chemical-free farm and CSA in the Hill Country 70 miles west of San Antonio, Texas. We are looking for interns, volunteers and possibly a partner to strengthen and grow our operation. We currently produce vegetables for a 40-member CSA as well as heritage turkeys and pastured poultry for meat and eggs. We have about 1000 hens and process 300 broilers every 8 weeks at the present time. We have begun a heritage turkey-breeding program. We currently cultivate about a 2-acre mixed market garden and a 2-acre fruit orchard. We also raise goats for meat and brush clearing. The property includes a new processing plant that includes a commercial kitchen. We also have a 36’ greenhouse. We are looking for people who are interested in sustainable agriculture and chemical-free farming. For further information: Robin Bowman, robin@goodfoodfarm.com
Program: Employment opportunity (40 hours per week) includes some food and salary. Lodging negotiable. Responsibilites would include all aspects of poultry care including brooding, feeding, daily care, egg washing, and moving pasture to new pastures. Intern program 40 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. Bunkhouse lodging provided. Poultry, vegetables, eggs, and stipend provided. Responsibilities include all aspects of poultry care, including brooding, feeding, daily care, egg washing, and moving to new pastures, or all aspects of vegetable raising, including planting, weeding, harvesting and can include instruction in how to manage the business of the farm. Volunteer opportunity: Lodging and food allowance provided.

Area: 261 acres
Space: Can accommodate 3 people.
Organic Status: practicing organic but not certified

Activities: gardening, permaculture, husbandry, dairy, csa, cottage industry
Description: We are a natural/organic producer of meat chickens, eggs, herbs and veggies, and a small, family owned concern. We raise and butcher chickens in the spring and fall; eggs year round and currently Garden Co-Op (CSA) in spring/summer and winter. Our desire is to expand the gardens and extend our growing season as well. We raise Nigerian Dwarf Milk goats and another goal is to set up a Certified Raw Milk Dairy by fall of 2005.
Program: Beulah Land Homestead operates two Garden Co-Ops (CSA style). The spring/summer CSA Co-Op is a 6 month commitment with 12 pickups, one every two weeks. Customers receive naturally raised organic veggies and herbs and are able to purchase eggs. The winter CSA Co-Op is the same, but a 4 month commitment. Our meat chickens are available fresh in the spring or as a special order in the fall. Dwarf Nigerian Milk Goats are available for sale year round, depending on the breeding schedule. We specialize in milk goats that are true milk goats and not just show goats.

Hours would be mornings, preferably from 7-11 or 8-12 depending on the heat/weather. Room and board is available but we are also open to local workers who would be able to come in for a day or two and work. Responsibilities would be normal small farm/homestead chores - planting, weeding, harvesting, canning/food prep, prep for customers, cleaning out the barn as necessary, composting, mowing pastures, etc. Hands on learning are available for most homesteading skills.
Area: 55 acres
Organic Status: natural/organic
Active: September to August

Activities: autonomous development, urban gardening, urban permaculture, anarchism, composting, constructed wetlands, bicycles, rain catching, brownfields,bioremediation, independent media, anti-gentrification, aquaculture, activism, permaculture
Description: Urban permaculture, radical activist, bicycles, books for prisoners, independent media, brownfields restoration, anti-gentrification,

The Rhizome Collective is a non-profit, 501c3, organization based in Austin Texas. From a green renovated warehouse we operate a center for community organizing and a center for urban sustainability education. We provide low rent space to various activist organizations, including a books for prisoners project, Bikes across borders, and Austin Independent media center. Additionally, we own a 10 acre brownfield property in the city which we are currently transforming into an environmental education park.
Program: We are open to limited cooperative internships with mature, self-directed individuals. Persons interested in undertaking a project should submit a proposal to us. Please see our website first to familiarate yourself with the type of work we do. www.rhizomecollective.org
Organic Status: see our website

::User Login::
Email:
Password:
forgot
I'm New

Closest Hosts

1. Austin EcoNetwork Austin, Texas
2. Johnson's Backyard Garden Austin, TX, Texas
3. Environmentality Austin, Texas
4. Rancho de la Chuparrosa Sabinal, Texas
5. eco-community lubbock, Texas

Calendar

This host does not currently have any events listed

Activities: alterna-building, farming, gardening, husbandry, dairy, cottage industry, community, orchards, education, eco-tourism, arts&crafts, marketing
Description: Want farmer's market/store, restaurant using production. Training center. Green building, solar. 350 acres. Email for info
Program: Planning an eco-community in Lubbock TX based on privately owned/leased mini-farms/mini-ranchs. Seeking farmers/ranchers or want-to-be.
Space: Can accommodate 25 people.
Organic Status: organic, no-till; grass-based

Date: June 22, 2007 05:34PM

both wwoof and organic volunteers i think you have to pay 20bucks or so for their access to phone numbers and address for the ads but you might find something for a small investment smiling smiley

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 23, 2007 12:57AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. I
> was living in my car for most of 2005 (which at
> age 35 was quite depressing for me lol) ,

If that's true, then you just went on my list of Interesting People. We all go through some challenging times.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 23, 2007 03:00PM

hey jgunn

that's so cool you have all that information you went out of your way to provide

must be all that himalayan mountainous snow that is still in your veins

yer cool tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2007 09:11PM

Dear Carrie,
Your post touched me. Are things better now? An idea that is not new, but has worked for me, is that there are many jobs advertised in newspapers, with domestic agencies, and with summer resorts--that require live-in employees. Wait wait wait--don't dismiss this. Some of the jobs are perfect for those people who work or have other commitments. The best example is that persons who have elderly parents or children, but must be away or sleep at night, often search for some person of good reputation who will just sleep near their loved ones in case something is needed . . . and something is very rarely needed . . . but it is a roof and a job that pays. There are also security jobs and even a few jobs for persons who do not have a good reputation, but anyway --
I am thinking and praying for your situation right now and send love your way.
Joy

Posted by: earthiemama ()
Date: July 03, 2007 02:14PM

I was homeles from age 17 to age 20. I would suggest trying to find free food.

You could try to get a job as an apartment caretaker.... or you could invest in a good tent. Or if you have a car, that always works well also.

And a squat house, find other homeless people, and you should have a pretty easy time finding a free place to sleep.

I for one, really enjoyed the experience, so try to stay positive. Things will work out how you need them to. I was never in want of anything.

Date: July 06, 2007 09:20PM

Hello,

It took a little time, but things have worked themselves out. I've found a place to live and I'm working twice as much a I was, so your thoughts and blessings have really been waves pushing my toward the shore. I can't thank anybody who read or replied to this message enough. It is an amazing feeling to be brought back from feeling invisible by the kind words of people you've never met before. I sorely missed the feeling of being welcome in my world for a few weeks. Thank you for giving me a place to go.

Carrie

Date: July 07, 2007 04:24AM

yayyyyyyyyyyyyy carrie grinning smiley back in the saddle good on ya smiling smiley so glad to here it smiling smiley

Date: July 20, 2007 09:05PM

hey Carrie how are things goin now ? smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 21, 2007 08:46AM

hi carrie

it was such a blast doing the green juice fast/feast with you on the GREENPEACH

i miss those days

it is more fun when i'm juice feasting with other people

i just saw this post now
and remembered how you also pushed me forward
in my own venture and journey

u deserve the best

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables