Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alcoholic Drinks?
Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: May 12, 2008 02:48PM

orange flame.

i drink wine (mostly white), sake and the occasional vodka shot, or vodka soda. being raw is amazing in terms of drinking because as opposed to the 5 or 6 glasses of wine/drinks i would drink on a night out, i only drink 2 now and feel pretty darn happy, i guess it's the absence of carbs and grease. i am totally and 100% in your camp, if you want to drink, you absolutely should. congrats on being raw for 2 weeks, that is no small accomplishment. whether you choose to give up booze or not is your choice and is something that should come from your heart and not from posts on rawfoodsupport.com

peace. nadia

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2008 02:49PM

Give it up.
Its no good.
Brian

Date: May 12, 2008 02:59PM

Sorry,
But just am having a heck of a time even believing that a talk on people drinking is even on a raw food board.
I mean,the very nature of alcohol is one of death.
Its a ferment,meaning something has died or rotted,in order to achieve the alcohol.
The next thing I expect to read is someone chasing their whiskey with fresh squeezed orange juice.
If people are justifying drinking on a board like this,then what hope is there for someone in recovery?
Is it time to find a real raw food forum??
Brian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 03:03PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: samhein ()
Date: May 12, 2008 04:00PM

Kudos to you Brian....smiling smiley

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 12, 2008 06:24PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry,
> But just am having a heck of a time even believing
> that a talk on people drinking is even on a raw
> food board.

I suppose its hard for someone with any substance abuse problem to understand that its very possible for a person to taste something and eventually decide they don't like it and just don't want any more.

What many of us here are suggesting is an educated decision based on paying attention to how something affects a person.

The experience of drinking alcohol can be extrapolated to all the choices one makes about diet. Just because you read about a diet being a successful path to health doesn't mean that particular diet will work for you.
You'll always have to pay attention to how something affect you.

As its been pointed out by many people posting here, the more health they've acquired through lifestyle the less they've found ill health acceptable.

To someone who is young the ill effects might not be obvious. Its difficult to get past the youthful tendency to feel immortal. There's usually so much constitutional chi in reserve.

But just as they have to learn pay attention to what happens to them when drinking or after drinking alcohol,
so do they need to (as we all need to) learn to pay attention in all areas of their life to see if something is genuinely working for them.

Date: May 12, 2008 08:39PM

Sorry
Alcohol=death.
It would be better to get a 'happy meal'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 08:42PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 12, 2008 09:09PM

We don't have to justify ANYTHING to you. Who the hell do you think you are? I'm tired of your stupid posts. And they really are dumb/stupid/uninformed/unintelligent. If someone posted, "Do you think drinking [alcohol] is bad for me," I could see you stating your opinion, but otherwise, maybe you could keep your negative thoughts and energy to yourself. Not everyone has addiction problems......

The way you treat people is horrendous.

Date: May 12, 2008 09:16PM

See folks.
This is what it does to you.

Date: May 12, 2008 09:17PM

Yeah, I guess my ability to reason has increased with my alcohol consumption.

Date: May 12, 2008 09:18PM

Now...
on to better people and causes.
You are all hypocrites

Date: May 12, 2008 09:21PM

Just doesnt make sence to consume a dead material if you are eating live living foods.
Denial is what its called.
AA jargon.
Thank god I am in AA now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 09:21PM by Raw1228.

Date: May 12, 2008 09:27PM

Debbie,
I really am glad we seem to be on the same level of thinking with this subject.
I think we are going to be ok .
smiling smiley
Brian
No...cold sober folks.
Going to a meeting at 7 tonight.
I tried months of raw/beer,and I will have to say that raw/nothing is far better.
Maybe you all have different metabolisms.
But not me.
I will be a man and say sorry for the harsh words.If you want to see them as harsh.
But this is a shocker subject to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 09:39PM by Raw1228.

Date: May 12, 2008 10:10PM

Joined another forum.
Hopefully a real one.

Date: May 12, 2008 11:06PM

Good for you, thanks for telling us. Let us know the next time you pee and @#$%& so we can all applaud you.

Date: May 12, 2008 11:08PM

Wow.
Is that what raw eating has made you into.?
Something is missing here
God Bless

Date: May 12, 2008 11:10PM

Never mind. I'm not going to bait the troll.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 11:11PM by Utopian Life.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 12, 2008 11:21PM

As far as fermented foods go, some people do use them to restore intestinal flora, they have probiotic effects. There are certain fermented vinegars and soy sauces people use during their raw transition (and discuss in this raw board quite openly). I eat a little bit of raw kimchi (fermented) here and there. Yes, it's combined, it's not a mono-meal of fruit and maybe not the IDEAL food, but for where I am with my body right now--it's a wonderful treat! Feels better in my tummy than a dehydrated Larabar or something.

Now, I'm NOT saying drinking wine is the same as probiotics--but fermented foods do have live microbial activity. How altered from its original form, I would love to hear the science behind this.

I used to abuse alcohol for escape reasons. One Master Cleanse was enough to totally pull the reset button on my body. Staying raw has started a process of shining a light of awareness on all of my habits--dietary, social, anything unconscious that I was doing. I can now enjoy an occasional glass of organic wine and it's okay for me, where I am. I'm sorry if it's not the same for everyone, but this is a place of support and help, rather than judgment.

If I were to ever eat white rice again, I doubt I could stop myself from binging to the point of being VERY ill for the night, which for me, and my body, is a hell of a lot worse than that one glass of wine. Therefore, foods that do that to me are 100% off limits. Addictive behavior can come in any form, alcoholism, eating disorders, or something else. What may addict some may not addict others. Bringing consciousness to any habit, in my experience, is the first step to dealing with it--whether that means approaching something with responsibility and respect or abstaining completely.

Posted by: earthmother213 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 03:05AM

i didn't read all of the comments (wow, nasty! i'm new here, and i hope it's not always so negative...), so hopefully this isn't redundant. i just finished reading "raw food, real world" and it contains some information about pairing wine with raw food and also has quite a few raw-ish alcoholic concoctions in the back. i don't drink much myself, a little wine very occasionally, because i just don't enjoy it and i'm very sensitive to it. but the recipes in that book actually looked really good! easy to make at home and probably pretty simple to request at a bar. also, a friend told me that david wolfe sells raw homemade wine. i don't know if that's true, and she said it was very expensive, but it's something to look into.

chandelle

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:53PM

this is the most unbiased board i have ever been on regarding raw foods . as its not run by any *guru* you can be assured that at times here the debates can get pretty *hot* as you can see but ive always found that...

people here will tell you a spade is a spade .. and not fluff and gloss over anything ..even at the peril of hurting a few feelings from time to time

take what you can from the information here , there is a ton of good stuff.

brian im not gonna wish you luck on your sobriety as luck has nothing to do with it , its alot of hard work but i will congratulate you for taking the steps to remove this toxin from your life. once you are comfortable with your own choice you will probably see that you will be comfortable in other peoples choices as they dont affect your own personal world.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 15, 2008 11:23PM

brian im not gonna wish you luck on your sobriety as luck has nothing to do with it , its alot of hard work but i will congratulate you for taking the steps to remove this toxin from your life. once you are comfortable with your own choice you will probably see that you will be comfortable in other peoples choices as they dont affect your own personal world.

...Jodi

Jodi,
Thanks.

Brian

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables