Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

VIVA LA VIDA
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:41PM

Sussie, you know what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least you'd better!!!!!!!!!!
COLDPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[www.last.fm]

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIVA LA VIDA
Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:54AM

Yay! A Coldplay thread. Now I get to drive everyone bonkers posting Coldplay stuff.

Here's the video for their newest single:

click "play video" under Chris Martin's pic

[video.tvguide.com]

Here's one of my favorite songs that he wrote for his wifey Gwyneth:

[youtube.com]

And one more from Live8:

He's so happy and hoppy in this one. Funny.

[youtube.com]

Fergie's so awesome. Her and Justin Timberlake wrote this amazing song.

Live8:

[youtube.com]

Date: May 22, 2008 04:07PM

FERGIE NOT COLDPLAY
SUSSIE IS BANNED FROM POSTING IN THREAD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: May 23, 2008 01:40AM

LOL. Oh oh Thomas, I think you started something big here...not sure if you'll be able to put the genie back in the bottle!

Thanks for the the links Suzie! I like the one Thomas posted the best so far, but I need to listen to the others again. "In My Place" was cool!

Thomas, I don't understand the reference, but FERGIE ROCKS!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 01:47AM by swimmer.

Date: May 25, 2008 06:30AM

Suzie posted a link to Black Eyed Peas i.e. with Fergie in it.
And since this is a Coldplay thread I decided to ban her. It's the only way she'll learn!

Date: June 07, 2008 07:45AM

I thought this was neat:

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE INSPIRES COLDPLAY
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has revealed that the band were inspired by Justin Timberlake on their new album, ‘VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS’.

Martin admitted that drummer Will Champion is a huge fan of Timberlakes song, ‘Cry Me a River’ and that it was his inspiration for one of their album tracks.

“One song we’re always trying to chase is ‘Cry Me A River’ in terms of the beats and everything,” Martin said.

“I know that is one of Will’s favourite songs. And he did all the drums on ‘Lost!’”.

How cool is this?!

"The release is already the best-selling album presale in iTunes history, worldwide. It's also on track to beat the previous first-week iTunes album sales record, currently held by Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static."

I think this has the most personal info I've ever heard from Chris Martin in an interview!

And just to drive people nuts I'm copying the whole article, haha.

Chris's new clothes

Coldplay almost fell apart in recent years, but reconnected through unconventional bonding exercises (like making their own clothes and buying their own studio). The resulting album has fewer anthems and more low-key music, says Chris Martin. He tells Brian Boyd about hating paparazzi, loving Christy Moore and why his band are "the seventh best in the world"

A GROUP of drunk, colour-blind four-year-olds were trying to draw the Sgt Pepper's outfits worn by The Beatles. The resultant sketches were taken to a first-time clothes designer who ran up something awful-looking and gave it to Chris Martin to wear.

Or this is what it seems to have happened when you meet the strangely clad Coldplay singer in an anonymous London hotel. You look him up and down suspiciously, wincing at his unprepossessing "nouveau French revolutionary" look. There's only one thing to say: "You look great Chris."

These clothes are supposed to maketh the band. The sleeve of the new Coldplay album, Viva La Vida (or Death and All His Friends) is a reproduction of Eugène Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People painting which commemorates the French Revolution of 1830. The band got a designer to run up outfits based on the clothes in Delacroix's painting. In a bizarre sartorial bonding exercise, the four members of Coldplay are wearing these clothes as a "uniform" during all promotional duties for the new album.

"When we got the clothes back from the designers, we customised them ourselves," Martin explains. "We're trying to reconnect as a band all over again after what happened at the end of the last record [ see below], and we thought this was a good idea . . . But enough about the clothes, who are you listening to you at the moment?"

This week I've mainly been listening to The Blue Nile.

"The Blue who?" he asks. The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops , Paul Buchanan, Glasgow band, complete genius. "Oh my God, I can't believe I've never heard of them," he says. "Write down some album titles and I'll get them this afternoon."

And on that Chris Martin-has-never-heard-of-The-Blue-Nile bombshell, we begin the interview proper. Coldplay's last album, X&Y was the biggest seller of 2005 with 10 million units shifted. But the fallout from the album almost destroyed the band.

ON THE BAND'S RIFT:

"U2 famously once said they were reapplying for the job as the best band in the world, but with us on this album, we feel like we're just reapplying to be a band again. We ceased to be a four-piece unit after the last album. We weren't really talking to each other - the vibe had gone. We were falling apart and I've seen it happen in other bands. We had to get back that sense that, as a four-piece, we were greater than the sum of our parts.

"It really just felt that we didn't own ourselves any more. There were just too many swanky dinners, too many award ceremonies and stuff like that. It was getting to the point where we could just have easily phoned in the songs for the new album from our holiday homes. For this album, I really wanted to burn all the awards - erase all that stuff from the past. I still feel we've got everything to prove and validation is absolutely crucial to me. We may be in an amazing position, but that validation is still needed.

"I wanted to buy back the business that Coldplay had become. The first thing we did was to buy our own rehearsal space and studio in London. There's this building in Camden which I used to pass every day - and it wasn't a very nice building. One day, I saw a 'for sale' sign on it and thought that, because the building was so ugly, nobody would ever bother us there. So we moved in, and for the first time since we used to rehearse in a bedroom way back, we had our own rehearsal space.

ON NEW BEST FRIENDS:

"The other big thing we had to do was to get back Phil Harvey. Phil is like the fifth member of Coldplay, he was the one who managed us for years and years and was sort of our 'creative director'. He passed over the Coldplay reins a few years ago when we just became too big for one person to manage, but we've got him back now and that was a vital reconnection with our past.

"Slowly, we just went back to a situation where it was just the four of us playing together in a small room. I'd say about 80 per cent of this album was recorded with the four of us playing simultaneously - and that's very rare for any band these days."

"We just had to hunt Eno down for this album. We all really felt that he was the man who could reconnect us. Just listen to his Music For Airports album or any of the production work he has done for Bowie, Talking Heads or U2. The U2 thing is appropriate because I always view Coldplay albums in terms of U2 albums and I believe that Viva La Vida is our Unforgettable Fire , in that it's a less straightforward, more oblique-sounding work. If pressed as to what it's about, I can say it's about sex and death and love and fear and travel and illness.

"We also got in Markus Dravs, who has worked with Arcade Fire, and he was great in that he really put it up to us. I had this song which I thought was amazing called Cemeteries of London, and Markus said it was just an okay song when I played it to him. I just thought 'Well, @#$%& you' and I came back the next day with a much better version of it."

ON ANTHEMS:

"Okay, here's my take on X&Y , it was melodic, but it was safe. There were too many songs trying to be anthems. The problem with anthems is that the songs in-between get dwarfed. And there is that thing that if you have two or three really big songs, you can fill out the rest of the album with just okay stuff.

"Don't get me wrong, we still love our big choruses, but on this one, there is no one big anthem that dominates. On the last one, there was Fix You , which now seems to crop up whenever there's a sad moment on some TV drama. So the big thing for us this time around was to write a complete and cohesive album.

"I'm calling this our 'anti-download' album, in that I think and I hope that there's not just two or three songs that people will dip into. I think each song informs the next and they all have - however wanky this may sound - their own colour.

"I really wanted this to be more like a film; something more complete than the usual album. The big guiding principle we had - given that we had fantastic commercial success with X&Y - was that we can't get any bigger, but we can get better. Maybe by removing the anthems, we have taken off the safety break.

"Before, a song would get on to an album and we thought 'it'll be okay because there are a couple of big songs either side of it', but this time, whenever we felt that sort of thinking creeping in, we just binned the song. Hence the mad rush at the end of recording. But in a weird way, that sort of thinking also gives you great freedom.

ON EMI:

"I remember on the last record - which we were late delivering - there were all these press reports about how the EMI share price had gone down because the album wasn't going to be released in a certain financial quarter. How can I emphasise this enough to you: it's got nothing to do with me. You cannot put that sort of pressure on a band.

"I know our label EMI has been through a lot over the last year or so, but when you have people saying 'the success of the new Coldplay album is vital to EMI's future', you just want to crawl up and die. "Shareholders, stocks, all that stuff. It has nothing to do with me."

"Wow, so much has changed since the last album. I thought what The Raconteurs did, and particularly what Radiohead did, was absolutely great. We really respect how they went about releasing their albums.

"Radiohead had that freedom, though, because they were out of contract with EMI. We're still in a contract with the label so we just didn't have that option. I know that, these days, you're probably supposed to say that being on a major label is totally antiquated, but we're actually fine with the label and we love the people we work with at the label.

"We are trying to keep pace, though, with the idea of free content. The first single, Violet Hill - we gave the seven-inch single of that away free with the NME and we also made it available as a free download. And then [this month], we're doing three free concerts, in London, New York and Barcelona. So I like that thing about going 'here's a free single, here's a free gig'.

ON MUSIC QUALITY:

"I always thought that if you were a 16-year-old in the school playground and you liked Coldplay, you would have to whisper it under your breath. We're just not a cool band and we never will be. To be honest, the notion or concept of being cool means nothing to me.

"I would like to think that when this album is released and people hear what we're like now, that that 16-year-old can now feel proud to say he likes Coldplay. On the 'cool music' thing, I have no problem sitting here and telling you that the best gig I ever went to was by John Williams. He's the guy who wrote the music for Jaws and Star Wars . I also love Stevie Wonder and Christy Moore - are they 'cool' choices?

"There was something you said earlier on about how, in all probability, the best two bands in the world today are Arcade Fire and Sigur Ros. They are both absolutely remarkable bands, but if you have them at number one, then I think Coldplay would only be the seventh best band in the world."

ON FAME:

"There's that clip on YouTube of me 'attacking' a photographer, and you know, I really regret that. I really regret it because what I did suddenly meant that guy earned $500,000 or something out of those pictures. I should just have ignored it.

"The thing is, I never publicly talk about my wife. Yes, it is the case that we are both involved in very public professions, but you do try and keep your private life private. I'll tell you one thing, I'm a lot fonder of music journalists now - you can talk music together - but you just know there are some people who hate me and hate Coldplay but want to talk to me because of who I am married to.

"Being followed around by photographers all the time . . . I just feel that they are trying to get me into trouble. You get very guarded.

"I'm really stressed out at the moment. The album's coming out and we're in the middle of rehearsals for the tour. I'm stressed because this all matters to me still, I want people to like the album. I know I always say that, but this album is a big change for us, so this time I really, really mean it."

Viva La Vida (or Death and All His Friends) is released on June 12th. Irish tour dates will be announced shortly

[www.ireland.com]

THE END. (For now)

Date: June 07, 2008 07:47AM

Baby Apple is soooo cute!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 07, 2008 10:13PM

Nice, Suzie.
I enjoyed that read!
The whole album is up on MySpace right now!!!

[www.myspace.com]

yay!!!!!!

Date: June 08, 2008 08:17AM

I have to wait until Coldplay adds me as their friend on my fake myspace addy, bummer.

So how is it?

I saw an "Iron Man" press tour clip recently where an interviewer quickly asked her how the new album was and Gwyneth paused and said, "Chris is going to kill me, but it's BRILLIANT." She said in an magazine interview that he gets furious if she talks about him, hence the pause.

Date: June 08, 2008 08:56AM

LOL
GWYNETH YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!!
She must be taking Sussie Lessons!!!!

I enjoyed the album. It's very different from X&Y.

Smell ya later fake Sussie!!! I have an outdoor concert at which I'm performing this afternoon so I'd better hit the hay!

Date: June 08, 2008 09:20AM

ThomasLantern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL
> GWYNETH YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!!
> She must be taking Sussie Lessons!!!!

Didn't ya read the article where Chris Martin says this?!

"but you just know there are some people who hate me and hate Coldplay but want to talk to me because of who I am married to."

He just wants her to respect his privacy from the public and I totally agree that she should. Even my daughter says (all the time), "don't tell so and so what I just told you" and I don't.

> I enjoyed the album. It's very different from X&Y.

Sounds like you liked X&Y better than Vida La Vida, as will I probably.

> Smell ya later fake Sussie!!! I have an outdoor
> concert at which I'm performing this afternoon so
> I'd better hit the hay!

Outdoor concerts are the best! Have fun.

Date: June 08, 2008 09:28AM

This is hilarious:

"Iron Man - How Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert Downey first met"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: June 08, 2008 06:26PM

Hey Thomas,

I saw you performing on YouTube -- it was excellent!

Date: June 08, 2008 10:42PM

aw, thanks Omega!!!
Glad you liked it... just performed today at a little festival outdoors, narrowly missed getting rained out! (A band after us got rained out unfortunately)

Rock n ROll!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 09, 2008 11:00PM

Hey Suzie, you can also hear the entire album for free here if you want [www.elmundo.es]

Just listening to the first few songs, it's quite quirky and experimental but I think I like it so far.

Cheers,
J

ps Ironman rocked! And Gwyneth was great as usual smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2008 03:02AM

Thanks Jose. The album came out today -- woo hoo!

I still haven't seen "Iron Man" although my mom and daughter have. Neither of them recognized Gwyneth which I thought was funny, but when I told them it was her, they both said "Wow, she was so pretty in the movie." There's one movie I wanna see before it, so maybe I can squeeze in two movies this weekend.

Oh yeah, there's already a sequel in the works!

Date: June 13, 2008 04:14AM

Actually I had a hard time at first, recognizing that it was indeed Gwyneth!

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 13, 2008 09:35AM

It's funny, I went with a friend who'd never really liked Gwyneth much before but he also said that she was looking really pretty in that movie! Mmmm... I thought she looked as nice as usual smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Date: June 14, 2008 04:06AM

Interesting, Jose... interesting.
and how odd...!

Date: June 29, 2008 02:22PM

I finally saw "Iron Man" last night, and except for the shooting parts of the movie, I think twice, (I hate guns), it was really good! My favorite part was the first time he flew across the city. How awesome was that?!

I think the difference with Gwyneth was that they showed a more natural side of her (except for the wig, haha). I think for the first time, in a movie, they didn't cover up the beautiful freckles on her nose and under her eyes and also her blue eyes POPPED.

I just hope they have a MUCH MUCH bigger part for her in the sequel. Can you tell she's my very favorite actress?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 29, 2008 03:39PM

I wouldn't know "Gwyneth" if I bumped into her in the street -- thank God!

I guess this is how some people feel about politics. They're into celebrities and famous people and the media is their God, instead of what's happening to regular people in other countries of the world. I wonder if it's possible to be a celebrity worshiper and be knowledgeable about current events at the same time.

Date: June 29, 2008 07:17PM

Yeah it was a great movie!

I imagine it is possible Lois... in fact, I'm certain there are people who are very affluent both in celebrity gossip and political news.

Date: July 06, 2008 07:04PM

Here's a pic of Gwyneth with her new haircut. I also love the new phrase, "yummy mummy". It cracks me up.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 06, 2008 07:13PM

Here's Coldplay's Tour Dates:

June 29: Philadelphia, PA (Wachovia Center)
July 2: Washington, DC (Verizon Center)
July 3: Hartford, CT (XL Center)
July 5: Detroit, MI (The Palace of Auburn Hills)
July 6: Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)
July 8: St. Paul, MN (Xcel Energy Center)
July 9: Kansas City, MO (Sprint Center)
July 10: Oklahoma City, OK (Ford Center)
July 12: Phoenix, AZ (Jobbing.com Arena)
July 19: Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)
July 21: Sacramento, CA (ARCO Arena)
July 24: San Jose, CA (HP Pavilion)
July 27: Pemberton, BC (Pemberton Festival)
July 29: Edmonton, AB (Rexall Place)
July 30: Calgary, AB (Pengrowth Saddledome)
August 1: Winnipeg, MB (MTS Centre)
August 3: Omaha, NE (Qwest Center)
August 4: Chicago, IL (United Center)
October 20: Montreal, QC (Bell Centre)
October 21: Ottawa, ON, (Scotiabank Place)
October 26: East Rutherford, NJ (Izod Center)
October 29: Toronto, ON (Air Canada Centre)
October 30: Toronto, ON (Air Canada Centre)
November 3: Boston, MA (TD Banknorth Garden)
November 11: Atlanta, GA (Philips Arena)
November 18: Houston, TX (Toyota Center)
November 19: Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)
November 21: Denver, CO (Pepsi Center Arena)
November 22: Salt Lake City, UT (Energy Solutions Arena)

Date: July 07, 2008 07:45PM

Thanks so much Suzie, I actually read it in full. It was a great article, I really enjoyed it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables