Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sensory Depravation Tanks?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 25, 2008 04:32AM

Anyone ever tried one? Seems like it would be a cool thing to try at least once (more so than more popular try-it-once ideas like skydiving or a gay experience).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sensory Depravation Tanks?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 25, 2008 02:13PM

It sounds like torture to me. When I was with NASA it was one of the things they did to the new astronauts in training. Occasionally I would hear screams of agony and worse whenever I was in that building.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 25, 2008 03:57PM

<<Occasionally I would hear screams of agony and worse whenever I was in that building.>>

HAH!! that's hilarious

not sure why
just strikes me as awfully funny

i heard the sensory deprivation tanks were very relaxing and comforting and people had interesting out of body experiences etc.

but i think its super expensive

aren't we all sensorially deprived every time we go to sleep? ( unless we live next to a freeway and can't turn off the sound of it)

when night falls and u go to sleep

1) no sight ( cuz its dark also cuz u close your eyes)
2) no sound ( cuz no talking, TV, radio etc)
3) no smells ( unless you live with a SAD person who is frying up stuff in a pan while you are sleeping and your room is next to the kitchen)
4) no touch ( just don't touch anyone/anything if u want to do the sensory deprivation thing)
5) no taste ( unless you are chewing on a piece of gum while you are sleeping)

thus, with all five senses shut down, the only other thing u need to shut down is your own mind

and that is when it gets kinda tricky

i don't see how a tank can shut the mind down

do you?

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 25, 2008 04:13PM

I had a friend about 12 years ago who sold them and swore by them. I never tried it myself.

He said it was beyond relaxation and everyone needed one.

I can't understand why you heard screaming arugula. It is supposed to be the opposite.

Date: May 25, 2008 04:15PM

Depends on how long you have to stay in there.

Date: May 25, 2008 05:48PM

geez. did u ever aask them what they were experiencing?

Date: May 25, 2008 06:46PM

No, I never talked to anyone in training. The point of the exercise is to see if you can take as much as they expect. So they just keep you there until you explode. The people who go the longest are the winners.

They have many other torture devices also. It's a necessary evil. Why bother with the applicant unless they can pass the physical/emotional torment?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2008 04:31AM

I guess it's kind of like massage. Someone grinding your muscles for an hour is great, for a day it would be torture.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 26, 2008 02:13PM

<<I guess it's kind of like massage. Someone grinding your muscles for an hour is great, for a day it would be torture.>>

Exactly!!

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: May 26, 2008 05:19PM

hello, yes i owned a tank.bought it used.alot of work to keep a tank running wright.you have 1200.00 pound of epsom salt in unit.problem with salt is buying it in bulk was expensive so i had to go to a dozen drug store and buy in small packs.the people in drug store thought i was nuts.they just don't get it.point is a floating tank is the greatest experince i ever had.when you float like a cork and the water temp is a but 96. all the senses in your body become super relaxed. the body releases endorpins and other fun chemicals.the effects last for a day or more.i highly recommend anyone to try it.good clean fun.in large cities you can pay to have a session.

Date: May 27, 2008 12:45PM

kratom

what did u do with the tank

u used the past tense form

did u build it yourself? give me some tips

Date: May 27, 2008 11:28PM

i bought the tank used. it is called SAMADHI.YOU CAN DO A SEARCH ON SAMADHI TANKS AND SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE.LOOKS LIKE A BIG EGG.I USED THE TANK FOR A FEW DIFFERENT THINGS ONE WAS IF YOU WORKOUT AND THEN GO IN THE TANK YOU WILL RECOVER VERY FAST.THE MAGNESUIM WOULD RELAX THE MUSCULES.NEXT THING I WOULD DO IS SOME MEDIATION EXERCISES.I WOULD GO INTO TANK AND LAY THERE FOR HOURS YOU WILL LOSES VISION AND HEARING(TANK IS SOUND PROOF AND DARK)YOU BODY WILL PICK UP OTHER SENSES.MOST OF THEN ARE IN YOUR MIND.WHEN YOUR IN THE TANK AND RELAXED YOU GET INTO A VERY DEEP TRANCE .YOU CAN DO ALL KIND OF STUFF.EXAMPLE I WOULD LISTEN TO SPECIAL SUBLIMIAL TAPES(INNERTALK BY ELDON TAYLOR).WHEN IN THE TANK YOUR MIND BECOME ONE(WHOLE MIND LEARNING)YOU LEARN VERY FAST.I HAD SPEAKER IN THE TANK.NEXT THING I DID WAS EAT MUSHROOMS AND TRIP MY FACE OFF.(I DON'T RECOMMEND IT) I WORKED WITH A FEW SHAMAINS(MISPELLED) IN MY TIME AND IT'S HARD COMING BACK.WHEN WE LEAVE ARE BODY, SOMEONE LIKES TO MOVE IN. ALOT OF WORK FIX THAT MESS.I WAS ABOUT 28 YEARS OLD AND I JUST DECIDED TO MOVE ONE DAY SOLD EVERYTHING I HAD AND MOVE TO SPAIN.THE TANK SAT IN MY HOUSE AND TURN INTO A SOLID BLOCK OF EPSOM SALT.WHEN YOU TURN TANK OFF THE SALT GETS COLD AND TURN SOLID.I KILLED IT.I TRYED CLEANING THE SALT BUT IT VERY HARD SO I PUT IT IN GARBAGE.BIG MISTAKE.EASY COME EASY GO.I DONE MY SHARE OF STUPID THINGS AND THIS JUST ONE OF A THOUSAND THING I DONE.NO ONES PERFECT.P.S YOU CAN DO A SESSION IF YOU LIVE NEAR A BIG CITY ALOT OF PEOPLE RENT TIME WITH TANK TO OFF SET COST .ALL YOU DO IS TAKE A NICE SHOWER THEN BOOM IN TANK .THEN RELAX

Date: May 28, 2008 01:29AM

hey kratom

how interesting... i was really focusing on the word samadhi for the last week

and then you say its called a samadhi tank

very apt name for what u say it does

sorry to see that it got encrusted in epsom salt

ha ha... guess u had a lot of stuff going on in spain to take care of the thing remote-ly

glad u had good inner experiences from it

i will look it up

thanks kratom smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2008 02:01AM

you will get to something like samadhi real fast with a tank.nothing like it.you can find a tank in a wanted digest(something like penny saver)i payed about 3500.00 for mine .i seen tank go for all kinds of prices.epsom salt is expensive.what i did was get a old water bed mattress.you get a truck then you pump the water and epsom salt it the mattress on the truck.that is how i moved it.big job but save alot of money.$5.00 for 4 pounds of salt .1300 pound of salt, expensive .also when you add salt you get colder water so you can only add so much salt at a time takes forever.chemical reaction.the salt has to always be at 96 degrees at that temp you lose all senses of touch with you skin..if tank gets cold boom no tank. the tank will make you feel like you had the best massage ever and walk on light.i miss my tank.so sad.if any one buy a tank let me know i have books and manuals from my tank i'll sell it for shipping(postage).also anyone that sells tanks on line might be willing to let you use a tank to try and sell you one.

Date: May 28, 2008 05:06AM

oh hey kratom

good advice that u had

just wondering

do u know why water gets colder when u add salt to it?

also, r u saying that ... u got rid of the water and epsom salt by pumping it into an empty air mattress that was propped up on a truck??

that is rather interesting

kinda imaginative, actually

floating epsom water salt on a water mattress moving..onto a truck... hmmm..

surreal,

just like samadhi

surreal

if i think about it enough

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: May 29, 2008 02:47PM

I've tried this before, they're called floatation tanks here in the UK. Really relaxing and cool experience, did it for an hour and it was really cool, totally relaxing sensation. It must be great for athletes to recover from exertions, and also probably for pregnant women, to relax their backs a bit too. Very invigorating I found.

Here's where I went [www.floatworks.com]

Definitely recommend it smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 02:55PM by Jose.

Date: May 30, 2008 04:16AM

when i put the empsom salt and water with matress in truck i would move the tank.i never got rid of the empsom salt and water.to expensive.i would pump it back into the tank.just a trick to save money.go to your local drug store and see what it will cost you for 100 boxes of empsom salt it's about 400 pounds.you need about 1300 lbs.for tank.chemical when you add salt to water the water get colder.i can't explain it but it's real.i don't like to talk about my experience's with tank but i can say one thing.i had many OTB (out of body experiences) almost every time .i was in tank. but i stayed in tank for many hours.

Date: May 30, 2008 11:26PM

i know this sounds like a silly question
but

ummm... since i don't know much about it

how much of your ears are submerged under water?

had some experiences where water got in my ear ( in the wrong way)

though not sure how it is that some people can be just fine and other people end up getting ear inside their water... it just seems weird

at any rate, how can i protect my ears from having those "accidents" from happening again if i am in a floatation tank?

do you get to wear stuff inside your ears?

also, do they close the lid on top of you?

how do you breathe? ( yes, once again, silly question...but seems like i would be air deprived if i were in a little tank)

all and any responses would be appreciated

hey kraton OBE?s sometimes they are great ... other times... whoaaaahhh

i've had a few of them just while i was sleeping

its a trip every time

i kind of like them

though they can be very unpredictable

cheers smiling smiley

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 02, 2008 01:08PM

The place I went to had individual rooms with a floatation tank, place to leave your clothes and a shower, and they provided ear plugs, as well as a neck air cushion if you wanted to keep your ears totally above the water, and also vaseline to cover minor cuts. The water is actually only about ten inches deep, but so saturated with salts that you won't touch the bottom when you lie down in it. I would say you're roughly 2/3 in when lying down, and one third above the surface of the water. It is also warmed to almost body temperature, so you do feel like you're floating in space or something. Being so salty, it doesn't feel like normal water, but actually quite silky and smooth, much denser. You take a shower before and after the float, and shampoo/etc.. is provided. The tub itself has buttons to control the lighting and the opening/closing of the lid, so you can adjust those to your convenience. They also play some soothing music which you get to choose in the first five minutes to help you settle down in the tub, and at the end of the hour, to let you know that time's up. After a few minutes, I tried closing the lid and turning off the lights, and after getting used to it, I just relaxed for the rest of the time, probably fell asleep a couple of times. There's no problem breathing since the tub is big enough to hold a few hours worth of oxygen when closed, and it's not completely airtight either. If you have any problems there's also a button to get help from the main desk, so it seems quite safe to me. It has a self-cleaning automated mechanism which uses a very small amount of steriliser in between sessions, and the super high salinity of the water is also an effective natural antiseptic, so pretty hygienic too I think. Overall, you have a large degree of control, and can tailor the experience to suit your preferences. I found it most relaxing with the lights off and the lid closed, as then essentially there was no sensory experience and I could just totally relax. It was great, hour was up before I knew it. I can imagine it would be great for the muscles and back to relax and work out any stresses or fatigue, any discomforts I had pretty much dissolved. Definitely recommend trying it out!

Cheers,
Jose

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables