Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Solar energy cheaper than coal by end of the year
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 10, 2008 05:44PM

On the surface this announcement looks very promising.

Nanosolar Price Barrier Breakthrough Makes Solar Electricity Cheaper Than Coal

(NaturalNews) A new combination of nano and solar technology has made it possible for solar electric generation to be cheaper than burning coal. Nanosolar, Inc. has developed a way to produce a type of ink that absorbs solar radiation and converts into electric current. Photovoltaic (PV) sheets are produced by a machine similar to a printing press, which rolls out the PV ink onto sheets approximately the width of aluminum foil. These PV sheets can be produced at a rate of hundreds of feet per minute.

"It's 100 times thinner than existing solar panels, and we can deposit the semiconductors 100 times faster," said Nanosolar's cofounder and chief executive officer, R. Martin Roscheisen. "It's a combination that drives down costs dramatically."

Because of their light weight and flexibility, the PV sheets (dubbed PowerSheets) are much more versatile than current PV panels, which must be mounted on sturdy surfaces like roofs or the ground. In addition, because there is no silicon used in the production of the sheets, they cost only 30 cents per watt of power produced.

Traditional PV cells cost approximately $3 per watt, while burning coal costs about $1 per watt.

"This is the first time that we can actually drop the cost of solar electricity down to a level that would be competitive with grid electricity in most industrialized nations," said Nanosolar co-founder Brian Sager.

Nanosolar is ramping up production of its PowerSheets at factories in San Jose, California, and Berlin, and expects to have them commercially available before the end of the year. The buzz around the PowerSheets is so strong that the company already has a three to five year backorder, and the company has raised more than $150 million from venture capitalists, including Google cofounders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

"Solar panels have not been very popular to the American people because they've been too expensive. That's what we're changing now," Roscheisen said.

From [www.naturalnews.com]

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Solar energy cheaper than coal by end of the year
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 10, 2008 10:08PM

I hope this stuff gets out to market fast. I hope it puts the utilities companies in dire straights. And, I hope it makes drastic changes to the status quo.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2008 11:32PM

Be nice if it was true. Could just be marketing propaganda though. Also, cost isn't important if availability isn't there.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 14, 2008 04:07AM

Whoa.
That is cool.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: June 14, 2008 04:11AM

for those that can afford the panels

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 14, 2008 08:09AM

I am paying about $0.11/kwH at the moment (not counting utility tax and other surcharges) and using around 200-250 kwH per month, about 90% of which is the fridge.

If this $0.3/W figure is correct, assuming an equal cost for other equipment and installation, a break even point would occur within 2 years for me.

I will cross my fingers but not hold my breath. In the meantime I am really kicking myself for having bought an 18 cf fridge 10 years ago, when I could have bought an Avanti at 9 that would have meant significantly lower energy use. In Florida if you don't use AC the fridge uses much more energy than what the energy star ratings suggest.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: June 15, 2008 07:20AM

It seems like there is a new announcement every week but nothing ever shows up on the market. Usually companies make these kind of announcements to get themselves in the news to raise their stock prices or find more investors.

I'll be happy when something is announced that is on the market already.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables