Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Declawing cats
Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: June 13, 2008 03:17AM

I have a family member that I've been trying, though not successfully, to talk out of declawing their cat. He says if it's going to be an indoors cat that it has to be declawled (his wife agrees btw). Grrrr

Narz, coco, I know you guys have cats, and anyone else that might know --- is there anything you know of to help prevent the cat from scratching the furniture, etc.?

The appointments next Tuesday, so I don't have much time to talk them out of it!

I did find this article though:

[www.declawing.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Declawing cats
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:08AM

Spray bottle.

I hate hearing that. I wish vets would quit doing it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 13, 2008 10:11AM

I think that people who care more about the furniture than the cat shouldn't have cats.

But having said that, I'd go with something wood framed with replaceable cushion covers for the cushions.

My dogs tore up not one but two $700 pottery barn slipcovers. I thought I was being smart by getting a slipcovered sofa. Next time I'd still get slipcovers but I'd get a cheapie one from IKEA or something like that.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 13, 2008 12:12PM

well, i know u all love your pets

and good for you

wish i had a soft spot for them

but i just don't see myself owning a pet

EVER

it hurts me to see animals indoors

a reminder of how they were bred to be handicapped so that they can't survive in the natural world

they are a mirror of what has happened to us humans

all other animals are able to survive in nature

but humans and "pets" have been conditioned to be indoors

makes me sad

every time i see a pet, i am reminded that i have become 'domesticated" via culture

or rather, loss of culture " knowledge of how to live symbiotically with nature"

the fact that humans have done that to the "pet species" and intentionally bred them so that they would be "unfit" to survive on their own

does not make my heart swell up with joy

love your pets though... its the least they can get... consolation prize for having been bred that way

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 13, 2008 12:41PM

Yes, it is very sad. I cry for them because they have no choice. But when they come into your life you are hooked, you want to love him/her and take care of him/her, cuddle with him/her, and make him/her happy and keep away the bad stuff. Like they are your children. All I can do is give them the cuddles they deserve, they know they are adored and treasured, it is all I can do for now. I will not replace them when they are gone.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 13, 2008 01:21PM

I agree with you LaV, but my two cats picked me (one literally followed me around my friend's apartment for 6 weeks until I took him home, and the other's people had to move and said I was the only one they trusted their kids' kitten with -- what do you say to that?), and my partner's dogs are always rescued from shelters. Our animal friends sleep with us and are a joy to our lives. We love them like we love our daughter. We lost one to cancer last fall, and he taught us a lot of lessons during his life. Zion was a heeler mix and looked like a yellow fox. When David and I started dating four years ago, Zion would nip my butt and it annoyed me. David told me that Zion was generally very shy and only did that to a few people ever, and that it was a friendly gesture -- he was accepting me into the pack. He was a very intuitive dog. He was also possibly part dingo, and when we had our daughter, my mom got very nervous (I told her too many Seinfeld episodes!), but Zion was wonderful with her. We chose not to replace him for now. Sorry about the digression. Anyway, I agree that declawing is inhumane.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: June 14, 2008 04:18AM

<< I think that people who care more about the furniture than the cat shouldn't have cats. >>

Well said!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2008 07:07PM

oh, ouch! so very very sad. wonder what they're going to do to their kids when they get up to mischief? i shudder to think.

i feel the same way about house pets as you ver, it's hard to have them around even though we rescued ours from certain death. they make me sad and supporting the pet industry (food, litter, cat carrier, vet etc) makes me very aware of the part i play in the normalization of "prisoner" animals. i wish it wasn't so. alls i can do though is make sure the littles have an awareness about the what and why. oh, and get the little buggers fixed too of course. wish everyone did that bit.

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 16, 2008 03:58PM

You may have already told them, but you should let them know that declawing is comparable to removing a person's fingers at the knuckle. A cat's claws are very important to them, whether they are indoor or outdoor (obviously more so for outdoor). Scratching gives them great pleasure, it is directly connected to the pleasure centers of thier brain. The owners should imagine going through life withouout being able to properly scratch an itch. It is wrong for people to get animals in order to mold them to their liking. A cat has claws and they scratch. It is thier nature. Most cats do fine with a scratching post. My cat loved her post, tears it to shreds, she doesn't scratch the furniture. If a cat does have a stratching problem, you simply have to train the animal to use the post. Use a spray bottle if need be. If a dog chews your slippers you don't remove the dog's teeth. You train the dog. Maybe you can convince them to get rubber tips. I am not a fan of them, but they are infinately less cruel than declawing.

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:46AM

Joanne81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may have already told them, but you should let
> them know that declawing is comparable to removing
> a person's fingers at the knuckle.

Nope, I hadn't told her, but that's exactly what changed her mind. She cancelled the appointment after reading about it.

>If a dog chews your slippers you don't remove the dog's teeth.

That would be a great anti-declawing slogan. I loved that.

Anyways, thanks for all of your opinions everyone!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:49AM

I'm glad she changed her mind.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 17, 2008 12:03PM

YAY!

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 17, 2008 02:43PM

Thats great. Here are some links if she wants information about declawing and also tips to get a cat to use a post.

[www.catscratching.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2008 02:49PM by Joanne81.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables