Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

scientists find RNA nucleotide in a metorite
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 14, 2008 12:53PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: scientists find RNA nucleotide in a metorite
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:28PM

It's an appealing idea to me that the basic building blocks of life may have come to earth via meteorites 4 or more billion years ago.. why couldn't they have been drifting around the universe or even intelligently directed to a promising solar system like ours.... I'm talking fossilized raw materials that could remain stable for billions of years..

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 16, 2008 02:39PM

I read recently in a book called "The Cosmic Serpent" that there is a line of thought that thinks the DNA from even the most simple organism is far too complex to have come to being in the amount of time between the origin of our planet and the first speck of life on it. This made sense to me and this article confirms it a little more in my mind. It is a cool thought.

We have already discovered over 100 gaseous jupiter-like planets in our immediate vincinity in our galaxy. Small fluxuations point to the likely hood of the gravitational pull of smaller planets near by. To me this seems to say that the universe is probably full of life. We have found planets nearby. There are hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way alone. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies. Maybe at some level we are all linked through DNA.

Some of the animals on earth are alien-like. For example octopus and squid are intelligent creatures, but had a far different evolutionary path than mammals. The earth is teeming with diverity, but we all share a similar DNA code. It is crazy to imagine the possiblilities of other life in the cosmos. I imagine a race of human-like creatures who get their energy directly from thier star. There are probably clusters of planets that have creatures who are in contact with one another (somewhere in the grand universe anyways).

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:02AM

"I read recently in a book called "The Cosmic Serpent" that there is a line of thought that thinks the DNA from even the most simple organism is far too complex to have come to being in the amount of time between the origin of our planet and the first speck of life on it."

The estimated age of the earth (4.5 billion yrs) is a small amount of time, especially if you believe in infinite time and an infinite universe as did Giordana Bruno (1548-1600), the italian priest, philosopher and poet [www.answers.com] .. he believed in an infinite number of inhabited planets (and paid dearly for it).

Infinite time would have given DNA or other modes of existence an eternity to develope.. even as our known universe has been supposedly expanding, there could have been relics of multiple universes drifting in.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 20, 2008 10:04AM

Joanne, cephalopods ROCK! They make eye contact with humans, they are mischevous and wily. Some biologists think that octopuses are smarter than cats, and in the UK the animal protection people have designated the octopus as an "honorary vertebrate" because they are so smart.

Date: June 20, 2008 03:05PM

I met three squid once while snorkeling in Costa Rica. Thet were so cute and strange. They were lined up next to eachother and swam together. I thought of them as triplets. They were about a foot tall. They followed me around for about 15-20 minutes staring at me. It was awesome. I love them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 03:06PM by Joanne81.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 24, 2008 02:38AM

How Smart Is the Octopus?Bright enough to do the moving-rock trick.
By Carl Zimmer
Updated Monday, June 23, 2008, at 1:14 PM ET

Aristotle didn't have a high opinion of the octopus. "The octopus is a stupid creature," he wrote, "for it will approach a man's hand if it be lowered in the water." Twenty-four centuries later, this "stupid" creature is enjoying a much better reputation. YouTube is loaded with evidence of what some might call octopus intelligence. One does an uncanny impression of a flounder. Another mimics coral before darting away from a pushy camera. A third slips its arms around a jar, unscrews it, and dines on the crab inside. Scientific journals publish research papers on octopus learning, octopus personality, octopus memory. Now the octopus has even made it into the pages of the journal Consciousness and Cognition (along with its fellow cephalopods the squid and the cuttlefish). The title: "Cephalopod consciousness: behavioral evidence."

So, is the octopus really all that smart? It depends on how you define intelligence. And if you've got a good definition, there are quite a few scientists who would love to hear it. Octopuses can learn, they can process complex information in their heads, and they can behave in equally complex ways. But it would be a mistake to try to give octopuses an IQ score. They are not intelligent in the way we areā€”not because they're dumb but because their behavior is the product of hundreds of millions of years of evolution under radically different conditions than the ones under which our own brains evolved.

You'd have to go back about 700 million years to find the moment in the history of life when humans and octopuses diverged. Our most recent common ancestor, scientists suspect, was a little wormlike creature with eyespots and little more. Since then, our lineage evolved bones; theirs evolved boneless bodies they control with water pressure. We've accumulated so many and such incredible differences over that time that 20th-century scientists were excited to discover a few deep similarities. In the 1950s, for example, biologists demonstrated for the first time that octopuses have massive brains.

Cephalopods belong to the same lineage that produced snails, clams, and other mollusks. A typical mollusk might have 20,000 neurons arranged in a diffuse net. The octopus has half a million neurons. The neurons in its head are massed into complex lobes, much the way our own brains are. In comparison with their body weight, octopuses have the biggest brains of all invertebrates. They're even bigger than the brains of fish and amphibians, putting them on par with those of birds and mammals.

In the late 1950s, Oxford biologist N.S. Sutherland decided to put the big brains of octopuses to the test. He would show them two shapes and reward them for touching one but not the other. They might learn to tell a rectangle in a horizontal position from the same rectangle rotated 90 degrees. And once they had figured out this test, the octopuses knew to select any horizontal rectangle they saw, no matter what its particular dimensions. They were learning what to learn.

Over the years, octopuses have shown many more signs of intelligence. They proved to have an excellent memory. They were clever and unpredictable. Jennifer Mather, a Canadian biologist, has tossed toys into octopus tanks and watched as the octopuses inspect them and puff them around with jets of air. They are playing, she argues. Clams do not play. Humans do.

The rest here [www.slate.com]

Cheers,
J

Date: June 25, 2008 12:27AM

Cool article Arugula.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables