Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Making renewable energy crystal clear
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:34PM

A physics professor in Cambridge has written a book about sustainable energy were he puts numbers to everything that is talked about today in vague terms.

How much energy do we need? Can renewables cover this demand? In what way? How about new technologies?

Looks at every conceivable option, does a pretty thorough job and explains things very clearly.

Geared towards the general public, no expertise is needed to understand it, and everything is in terms of simple numbers which everyone can relate to.

Here's an article with a general overview of the situation [www.theregister.co.uk]

Excerpts:

Heavyweight physics prof weighs into climate/energy scrap
By Lewis Page
Published Friday 20th June 2008 12:01 GMT

Analysis A topflight science brainbox at Cambridge University has weighed into the ever-louder and more unruly climate/energy debate with several things that so far have been mostly lacking: hard numbers, willingness to upset all sides, and an attempt to see whether the various agendas put forward would actually stack up.

Professor David J C MacKay of the Cambridge University Department of Physics holds a PhD in computation from Cal Tech and a starred first in Physics, so we can take it that he knows his numbers. And, as he points out, numbers are typically lacking in current discussion around carbon emissions and energy use.

MacKay tells The Reg that he was first drawn into this field by the constant suggestion — from the Beeb, parts of the government etc — that we can seriously impact our personal energy consumption by doing such things as turning our TVs off standby or unplugging our mobile-phone chargers.

Anyone with even a slight grasp of energy units should know that this is madness. Skipping one bath saves a much energy as leaving your TV off standby for over six months. People who wash regularly, wear clean clothes, consume hot food or drink, use powered transport of any kind and live in warm houses have no need to worry about the energy they use to power their electronics; it’s insignificant compared to the other things.

Most of us don’t see basic hygiene, decent food and warm houses as sinful luxuries, but as things we can reasonably expect to have. This means that society as a whole needs a lot of energy, which led MacKay to consider how this might realistically be supplied in a low-carbon fashion. He’s coming at the issues from a green/ecological viewpoint, but climate-change sceptics who are nonetheless concerned about Blighty becoming dependent on Russian gas and Saudi oil — as the North Sea starts to play out — will also find his analysis interesting. Eliminating carbon largely equates to eliminating gas and oil use.

“I don’t really mind too much what your plan is,” MacKay told The Reg this week. “But it’s got to add up.”

The nice thing about MacKay’s numbers is that you can try out your pet theories with them, and have some confidence in the results. The prof confirmed to The Reg that he’s thinking of an online tool which might let people try out their favourite policies.

In the meantime, you can read his book — even help him finish it, maybe.

No matter what your feelings about MacKay’s results and his politics — just for instance, he’s quite sympathetic to the idea of not paying that part of your taxes which goes to the military (a few per cent, in the UK) — you disregard his maths and physics at your peril. His work is a serious contribution to the energy debate.

Here is Professor MacKay's webpage called Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air [www.withouthotair.com]

A 4-page executive summary of his book [www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk]

And the latest draft of his book [www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk]

Over 400 pages but really worth reading, as it will illuminate many concepts which might be ambiguous in the present day treatment of this topic by the general media, politicians, green groups, etc...

There's also some slides from various talks he gave on his webpage, which again I would recommend looking at.

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making renewable energy crystal clear
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 23, 2008 07:44AM

jose

awesome!
will definetely be taking it apart
much appreciated smiling smiley

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: June 23, 2008 10:54AM

I'm just passing through at the moment, late night etc so I haven't read the articles. I can see that it is about energy production though so I want to share some information that most people will find hard to believe. There IS such a thing as "free" energy, or a means for totally independent energy production which doesn't rely on any external input. It is possable for the world to make use of this and you can learn all about it here [www.theorionproject.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 23, 2008 12:15PM

You sure do set up a great New Topic, Jose. I like the way you introduce the subject, do excerpt/quotes, post links, and give your commentary.

(Compared to when I just post the link -- hmmmm)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables