Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Television... Your thoughts?
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 26, 2008 02:01PM

I generally think television is garbage and watch little of it. Television is a powerful medium. What could be more powerful than having a box in nearly every person home that projects images and sounds into the minds of trance to semi-trance people? When I watch television (as a conscious consumer) I find myself scrutinizing nearly every thing I hear, pointing out the absurdity of advertising claims and the stupidity of much that comes from the screen (I am not very fun to watch TV with). I think television has enormous potential and there are some insightful and thought provoking programs out there (Bill Moyer’s Journal for example), but in a society driven by corporate profit, it isn't hard to see why the vast majority is trash. I realize that people watch television using a wide spectrum of reflection; some literally 'buy' what it sells, most don't pay close attention but still 'hear' it on some level, some consciously reflect what they can. I also noticed something, from a few occasions when I was ill and watched far more of it than appropriate; the more I watched, and the less I reflected or even cared about the stupidity of what I watched. I wonder the extent television affects individuals and society at large. I wonder how it affects me personally (in subtle ways) on occasions that I watch it. It is obviously a tool of distraction and it definitely contributes to unnecessary mental clutter in the minds of many people? What are your thoughts about television and it's affects on individuals and society? Should we have a national "NO TELEVISION" day?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 02:03PM by Joanne81.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Television... Your thoughts?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 26, 2008 02:22PM

I have never been much of a tv watcher. I had the same 13" thing from 1988. Last time I turned mine on was 911 and I gave it to Goodwill a few years later.

I can't stand it for the reasons you state and more. The total violation of the senses isn't good for us. It keeps us from really living.

I do watch dvds now and then from the library, but I honestly find the same sense of intrusion with many of them.

I spend too much time on the internet, though, and I think it would be much better to be interacting with people instead.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 26, 2008 04:10PM

It is a tool. I think if one is using as a tool to obtain greater consciousness - it is good. If they are using it as an excuse for more unconsciousness - it is bad. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: June 26, 2008 08:18PM

Joanne81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should we have a national "NO TELEVISION" day?

There was a "turn off your tv week" started a long time ago. adbusters.org is awesome for that. They just did a "Mental Detox Week" where you unplug your tv, ipod, laptop, video games, etc.They also advocate "Buy Nothing Day" on "black friday" (day after thanksgiving).

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 27, 2008 01:12PM

I don't care about them. I have three, but they don't get used too much. A little HGTV or Comedy Central for me & hubby, he also likes the food network, and we let our daughter watch a little PBS when she isn't feeling well or as a treat. We used to watch DVDs, but I always fall asleep, so we gave up. I think it's pretty useless, and I'd rather read or go online. I have a harder time limiting myself on the computer -- I think this is my biggest time-sucker at the moment. I think TV is definitely creating a lot of the societal dysfunction that we see today -- people always wanting more, bigger, better whatever and being violent and shallow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 27, 2008 02:33PM

I hate the look of it anymore....all that flashing,zooming,tilting,panning.
Who in the world came up with that?And who sees fit to include it in everything from the Oprah opening,to a cereal commercial??
I hope its a phase,cause if it were to get more intense I think it will be triggering seizures or something!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 28, 2008 05:39AM

I probably was able to give up having tv due to having the Internet..but it's much more useful and you have a lot more freedom to choose and it can be very informative and helpful and it gives you everything a tv does if you want. But during the day I like being out doing things..it's amazing how much time one can spend on here though.

I do use it many times for a purpose..find housing, room-mates, work, childcare clients, selling items, giving stuff away, how to do something, what is that all about, how is that done, etc..the list goes on and on!

Oh..of course spending time here too with all of you which is tops on my list.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: June 28, 2008 06:40AM

Televison The DRUG OF THE NATION

``Breeding ignorance and feeding

YOU Radiation!
A wet nurse that could breed a cripple.
SPEARHEAD

Idiots lanteern
Electronic sanna

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 28, 2008 03:20PM

Spearhead rocks!!! I love Michael Franti! I got to give him a hug at a concert once -- great energy!!! Sorry about the digression!

Date: June 28, 2008 07:07PM

I watch about 5-10 hours a year, max.

I don't really want my kid watching at all until he's maybe 6 or 7. I don't suspect he'll really want to, I plan to keep him pretty stimulated. smiling smiley

Check out a book called Evolution's End, talks about child development and TV (among a myriad of other things).

The Internet is great because almost anything you can watch on TV you can get online somewhere.

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: June 29, 2008 02:38PM

My favorite week was last summer, no TV or internet. It was heaven.

However, here at home, haha, I do like to watch "Grey's Anatomy" and rent movies occasionally.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 29, 2008 08:18PM

Suzie Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
>
> However, here at home, haha, I do like to watch
> "Grey's Anatomy" and rent movies occasionally.

LOL i am a greys girl too smiling smiley i don`t watch much tv.....my hubby on the other hand watch out!

Date: June 30, 2008 12:49AM

I hate the way TV (and government run schools) have turned our kids into shopaholic, spendaholic, celebrity-worshipping cloned bitches. I hate it for what it does to our health, vision, brain, everything. All the brain-washing, brain-altering radiation waves. But most of all I hate the violence in all the TV shows, videos and movies. I never watch TV, videos, or go to the movies (except for Ratoutille and Evan Almighty) I can't bear the loud sound at the movies and the nasty trailers, and the stinky stale air and obnoxious people.

How anyboby can watch any violence on TV shows, videos, and at the movies is beyond me. And we wonder why we attack everybody and every country -- because of all the stupid Sheeple glued to the TV and movies, learning that violence to others is normal and natural and war is fine.

Not to mention those horrible video games - OMG!

Wake Up!!!

Date: June 30, 2008 01:08AM

wgn.america is showing old vintage shows now.
God bless them.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 30, 2008 06:27PM

haven 't owned a tv since high school

don't miss it either

i didn't miss it while growing up as well

stupid shows that ... even while i was watching it... i knew it was mutating my brain cells that were in danger of stupiformia and cystic idiocia

please don't look up those two words on wiki

i'll shoot you with my remote control if you even try tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 30, 2008 06:28PM

i will rent DVD's once in a while

though.. to be quite honest.. 99.9 percent of that is totally junk as well

so.. it takes me forever to pick out even ONE decent movie ( if i'm lucky)

so... that's why i like books.

poetry is even better

bring it smiling smiley

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 05, 2008 02:53AM

I'm a recovering TV holic. When I was a kid, I would outline every program I would watch for the entire week in the TV Guide. I would actually circle all of the programs from the time I got home from school to when I went to bed. Weekends were a bonanza because I was allowed to stay up late - sometimes I wouldn't go to bed until 2am. I haven't watched TV for 4 years. I haven't owned a television for 5. I occasionally will tune into PBS if visiting friends or watch the occasional DVD I get from the library or from my DVD collection on my laptop. TV can be used to grow consciously...you just need to be aware of what is actually taking place with the mass programming and filter through it. Because I'm very much interested in politics, I find myself watching videos of TV political programs. Generally when I turn on a TV these days I tune into a spiritually focused or some other program outlining a subject I've had a question about. Like magic. Similar to when I go to the library or bookstore and "the book with the answer" falls right into my lap.

After not watching it for so long, it actually is pretty interesting to look at those ridiculous sitcoms and the drug advertisements from a neutral lens...it's mind blowing. It would even be very funny if so many people weren't dying and withering away because of it.

TV watching can be destructive if you allow it to be. None of us are victims and have the power to choose though IMO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 02:59AM by rawangel.

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 05, 2008 04:24AM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate the look of it anymore....all that
> flashing,zooming,tilting,panning.
> Who in the world came up with that?And who sees
> fit to include it in everything from the Oprah
> opening,to a cereal commercial??
> I hope its a phase,cause if it were to get more
> intense I think it will be triggering seizures or
> something!

lol Raw, that is my sentiment when ever I am unfortunate enough to see some as well.

What a bunch of thinkers you all are... isn't that illegal ?

Date: July 06, 2008 01:35AM

Like La Veronique I quit watching it in high school too. I don't need to add any more about how bad it is and why I don't have one. Let's all believe for every tv to self destruct, it would help this country a lot : )

elnatural

Date: July 08, 2008 05:08PM

heee heeee

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: July 09, 2008 04:51AM

'community builder': Evolution's End by Joseph Chilton Peirce--- I second that. Great man, great book.

NO TV DAY... or WEEk would be awesome, but you know they'd have to air a RE-CAP with interviews and special coverage of what it was like without TV.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables