Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

There is an a person who always tries to get to me...
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 09, 2008 02:41PM

My husband’s aunt and uncle often have family functions. They know that I am vegan and don't really understand it, never mind raw/vegan. The uncle is an avid hunter and has a far different view of animals than I do. His kids play with hunting toys and his hunting dogs are purely for sport (not pets). He talks in great detail about his hunting expeditions, whenever I am around. I am quiet and tune out a little, occasionally nodding, but I really get tired being stuck listening to his stories. I find them disturbing. He told a long-winded story about a bear that made me want to cry. I used to just accept that that is his nature and apparently he loves talking about hunting. But now, when I go there I notice he wears a tee-shirt that makes fun on vegetarians. I really think he is doing this intentionally to bother me. I just ignore it because I don’t want to stir anything up, especially with my in-laws. I wonder what he will do at the next function if I keep ignoring it… maybe display pictures. What would you do in my situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: There is an a person who always tries to get to me...
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 09, 2008 04:14PM

Ignore him, it all balances out in the end.
I wear a t shirt somtimes that says eating meat is a lot of bull.
How can a person call themselfs a sportsmen and use a riffle???
What befalls the beast befalls the son of man.
killing a bear can mess your life up. I have seen this happen a few times
with people who shot bears for the great white hunter ego.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2008 07:05PM

I would completely ignore them. Walk away and say you don't want to hear it.

My story:

I once had a relative who was a hunter who told nasty jokes at every family dinner. He would always tell me to eat his elk burgers and said I didnt know what I was missing. One day he was found dead in a closet with a shotgun and head blown away.

I do know what Im a missing and am supper glad I am!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

This week a friends cousin was trying to get me to eat her cakes. I told her I wouldnt eat them even if she paid me a million dollars. She wouldnt give up so I just walked out of the house and took off.

elnatural

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: July 09, 2008 09:51PM

I would ignore it, then it will get boring.

Many of us have those experiences. I was at a Hawaiian BBQ thinking it would involve pineapples...but there was a whole pig being grilled there (with head, limbs and everything) and some people think it's so damn funny to ask me to look at it.

Your story reminded me of this celeb-gossip I picked up about Jessica Simpson. Her Ex now dates a vegetarian and now she flaunts a shirt that says "Real Girls Eat Meat".
Seriously, who gives a $|-|ite? A person going out of his or her way to annoy offend or hurt or annoy another person by mocking their beliefs really sucks.

And I found that just ignoring it, actively ignoring it, is the only thing that helps.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:31AM

I think the t-shirt thing is really mean. It's your husbands family - what does he think? Either stop going there or ask your husband to say something. I understand why every one says ignore it but on the other hand why should you have to put up with it.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: July 10, 2008 10:58AM

Yeah, you shouldn't really put up with it. I think some of the time that kind of thing is done to intimidate people that, by virtue of being different, appear to be more vulnerable. You shouldn't take it personally, as it is entirely their own shortcomings, but at the same time be very calm and assured when rebutting any provocative dig. It might be in his nature to "love hunting", but it is in your nature to love living beings, and that's nothing to be embarrassed or insecure about.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:38PM

next time, he tells u his latest escapade on hunting this or that animal

you ought to one up him and say:

" I gave up on the vegetarian thing, I love meat SO MUCH MORE!! My latest recipe involved rat brains and racoon eyes..I just LOVE to pulverize it and put it in my REALLY DEELISH MEATLOAF!!"

if he says " oh yeah? how did THAT turn out?"

Tell him : " You just had it for dinner. How was it?"

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 01:30AM

Thanks everyone, I was unsure of what to do because I don't really see a point in debating him over it. I seriously doubt he will see my side. For one reason, he doesn't have much compassion for animals. I had a deep empathy for them throughout my life. So, there is a fundamental difference between our views. Hunting is also a huge part of his life. I have respected that (not agreed with it, but respected it). Although, now that I can see he is provoking me, I am a little torn.

I tend to be on the passive side and sometimes I don't stick up for myself when I should. I suppose it is because I can easily brush of people's (non-constructive) negativity. The problem is, when I remain quiet, sometimes that lays the groundwork for future abuse (when I should have nipped it in the bud). On the other hand, I think if I say something I am giving him what be wants - a reaction.

I think I will say something if it happens again. Nice suggestion, la-veronica smiling smiley

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 11, 2008 01:43AM

"i`m really tired of your bull%^** and i`m not going to listen to it anymore. if you feel the need to try and intimidate me through your passive aggressive ways do it to my back as i`m walking away. have a nice evening."

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 11, 2008 04:39AM

I think that any way you handle it is the perfect way. Personally I think I would remain in such an environment less than about 1 minuite. I enjoy people telling me about what inspires them, even if it is quite different to me, but I wouldn't tollerate the glorification of anything immoral. I don't mind people choosing to eat meat, thats their karma, but I will have no part.

Date: July 11, 2008 05:01PM

Joanne,

<<There is an a person who always tries to get to me...>>

two can play the game
then why not GET him?

set up a little trap so that when he steps on it, his entire body will be engulfed in a net and catapulted upwards ( like up a tree branch)

then aim a plastic rifle at him or have a posse of people aiming a fake rifle at him

at the point of pulling the trigger, push the button "play" to make a rifle shot sound

at this point, make the net go all the way down down down... until it ALMOST reaches the ground but not quite

then say

GOTCHA!!!!!!!

Date: July 11, 2008 05:02PM

its good for the person that is hunting
to know how it feels like to be hunted

that's all smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables