Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Back to school?
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 16, 2008 05:55AM

Has anyone here gone back to college to get another degree after years or decades?

Have you graduated, or are you still going?

How did it work out? Like you thought it would?

Did you have major financial responsibilities, like a mortgage? Extended family to help?

How did you make living while attending?

If you had to take out loans, are you able to pay them with the increased pay from the new career?

Did you go back part time or full time?

How many years did it take?

What made you go back, how did you decide to take the plunge?

Was it worth it, would you do it again?

Would you recommend it to anyone?

A career ending injury is forcing me to rethink things here, so any insight would help.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back to school?
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:49PM

Yes, I went back after 15 years. I started out taking part time classes and ended up graduating with a BA. I had three kids at home at the time (10, 12 & 15), went through a divorce, raised my kids, worked as a server in several restaurants to feed my kids and pay my bills. I also got grants and loans. I stayed with the Stafford loans because the interest rates were really low. It took about 8 years, but I had a double major until the last semester, when I decided I wanted to be done, so I switched the second major to a minor. I went full time for five years and graduated at 43. I lost my house and went through a lot with my kids during this time, so life was pretty intense (I think that's why it took me so long). It was harder but better than I thought it would be, and the young students were much more accepting of the "old chick" than I thought they would be. I even got invited to (and went) a 21st birthday party! It was also one of the best things I have ever done. I didn't go back solely for the money but to give myself a gift. My degree is in art. If I had it to do over, I would definitely do it, but I would take more classes that help me in real life (like business and marketing), and I would utilize the knowledge of the profs more -- pick their brains -- they love the interaction. I'm still waiting tables, but I can afford my loan payments because I kept my loans to a minimum and got a great interest rate. My payments are less than $200 a month, which is well worth the experience. I would definitely recommend it, and plan to go back for my master's eventually. Hope that helps!

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:21PM

Hey swimmer, can't help you out with your questions much, but just wanted to say that I hope you are doing well smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2008 06:23PM

i did some upgrading and took a few college courses online when little was smaller, i have only a few credits towards an associative arts degree that i will probably never finish but i would take more classes. i like learning, i like school, it's only the tuition that i don't enjoy!
good luck to you if you do choose to go back to school. it certainly is a different experience as an adult.

Date: July 18, 2008 01:42AM

I think it depends on how old you are, how much the schooling would cost, and how long it would take. If money's not an issue, then I guess it doesn't matter.

I went back to college part time when I was 30 -- I wanted to be a Nutritionist. But after 2 years, I got pregnant and quit because I knew I couldn't take care of a baby, work and go to college. So I end up working from home while I raised my kids.

I never did like organized education, but I love to learn about something I'm interested in - like Raw Foods, Politics, The Stock Market, Decorating.... I learn everything I need to know online nowadays smiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2008 05:24AM

Thanks for the insight Sundancer, that's quite a story! I got my AA about 25 years ago, and would be gong back to get a BA this time. I think it will take about 5 years part time. I've got a mountain of debt tied to my home, and know that this means more loans, but I need to replace lost income now that a portion of my earning power was lost due to my injury. Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to know that you would do it again!

Hey Jose! All is as well as can be expected...sometimes you have no choice and just gotta find a way to make lemonade! Hows things with you? What's the career change you mentioned in another thread?

Hi coco, you know how it is, you just can't get us away from some form of art. I'm looking at Interior design, or Architecture this time! The tuition is not the half of it, but I have to find a way to keep up with monthly expenses while attending school. sad smiley

Lois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I learn everything I need to know online nowadays smiling smiley

Yeah, but dang, you gotta quit hanging around those right wing propaganda websites! smiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2008 01:07PM

Okay, finding out that you're not financially well off, and that you'd be 50 by the time you finish the courses, I would say -- forget it!

It's not worth the time and money, because by the time you're 50, you should be owning your own home (and car) free and clear, and saving for your retirement. If you haven't already got some kind of retirement plan going on (401K, SEP, Roth), you should start right away.

I would just get a regular job now and go on a strict budget and pay off all my debts and start savings for retirement -- go to Suze Ormann or MSN Money, to name a few, and check out how to do all that.

I wonder if you have a family to support and put through school at the moment or parents to take care of. If so, there's no way I would suggest you go back to school at this point. If not, you should be able to make it by retirement time, if you're money smart. Remember, us Raw Foodists expect to live a very long time, so we need to get our act together now so we don't outlive our retirement funds.

I read an article a couple months ago, about this exact same thing, and how it's not worth it most of the time, but I don't know where it is.

Lois

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: July 18, 2008 02:36PM

Have you considered a trade at a vocational school that may take less time and cost less in tuition, but still provide the income you need?

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: July 18, 2008 04:16PM

Thanks Pistachio and Lois,

I had a very fun career, and good career path/plan, and I made decent money. This injury means I can no longer work in a production shop. What I do best is designing and make things. Now I am limited to the design portion of my career, and in order to build a client base, or gain employment as a designer, I'll need some more formal designing training, and unfortunately, a degree. So I'm considering a degree in commercial (non residential) interior design or Architecture. I already have 20+ years experience in related fields.

Thanks, I have checked and found that I'm beyond what a vocational/trade schools offer.

Lois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, finding out that you're not financially well
> off, and that you'd be 50 by the time you finish
> the courses, I would say -- forget it!
>
> It's not worth the time and money, because by the
> time you're 50, you should be owning your own home
> (and car) free and clear, and saving for your
> retirement.

Lois, I love your posts LOL!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables